Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Use of Ambien in Sleep Test at Clinic
Use of Ambien in Sleep Test at Clinic
Has anybody used sleeping aids to facilitate sleep in your study at a clinic? I had a sleep clinic test a couple of months ago and could not sleep. The test was invalid because I probably had 1 1/2 hour of total sleep in a 7 hour stretch. 
I am scheduled for another test next week and the sleep doctor has said that although they do not like sleeping aids ambien is the least disruptive to your brain rythms and is allowed. My study will now be on an ASV machine (!!!) which took a long time to convince. They had me on an Vauto BiPAP but my AHI keeps going up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Use of Ambien in Sleep Test at Clinic
I was given Sublinox when I had my sleep test two and a half years ago . Managed to sleep 4 hours. Then 2 months ago I had a titration study and was given trazodone . Only slept for an hour and a half . Without a sleeping pill I probably wouldn't have slept at all as I have severe insomnia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Who can sleep in a strange bed, anyway? Add in being monitored by strangers and it's a wonder anyone ever sleeps at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also had difficulty sleeping for my initial study. I asked my pulmonologist about getting an Ambien for the follow-up and he said no problem and gave me an Rx for 20 tablets. I slept much much better with the Ambien.

When I returned for my 6 week checkup, I was still not sleeping well and had about 5 of them left. He gave me an Rx for a 4 month supply and suggested I try them for a week or 2 straight and see if I slept any better. At first I could tell a huge difference, but after 5 or 6 days, they didn't seem to have much of an effect, so now I just take one when I'm very restless.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for sharing your experience. It is also true that sleeping on a strange bed with a rather thin mattress and with all the distractions makes it difficult as it is. In my first clinical sleep study my sleep deprivation was so much that I was asleep in less than 5 minutes. I am now looking forward to the study to solve my severe complex central apnea problems. I must thank this forum for educating me about the various sleep respiratory disorders and the equipment uses for solving the problems.
Post Reply Post Reply
I was given two Ambien at my pre-test visit to my sleep doctor. I took one of them and didn't sleep well but it was good enough for the split-night titration so was done in one night. I could have used another one for the second part of the night, however. I don't use them --my first try at "sleeping pills"--and the doctor says he doesn't recommend them--only for the test where you are under observation.
Post Reply Post Reply
Used to use multiple sleep aids in clinic settings, there are so many factors keeping you awake:
  • Wires attached to you
  • Straps around you
  • Strange bed
  • Strange noises & lights
Various sleep aids:
  • Ambien is great to get you to sleep, but the half-life is only about 90 minutes or so, so you’ll likely wake up and have to take another dose. Some of the other Z drugs may be better.
  • Unisom is usually either diphenhydramine or doxylamine, first gen antihistimine that happens to be fairly sedating. Safe to take for short periods if you don’t have serious Apneas. In a clinical setting, it might be ok, supposedly not good for those of us with Sleep Apnea, don’t recall why.
  • Trazodone, in doses up to 200mg, an early antidepressant, quite safe, the usual prescription drug in the old days for serious insomnia. Does leave you with a significant sleep hangover in the morning though.
  • Valerian Root is often recommended, I personally haven’t found it useful, but you can try it.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
Update on the use of Ambien in Sleep Test Clinic. I am happy to report that I had my sleep test done yesterday ending this morning at 5:15 am. For me the Ambien was very effective. I was able to sleep and apparently the test was successfully performed. Every individual is different and I appreciate the members of this forum that have shared their experiences with sleeping aids. I will keep you posted on the results and if an ASV machine is prescribed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-20-2017, 02:00 PM)mhehe Wrote: Has anybody used sleeping aids to facilitate sleep in your study at a clinic? I had a sleep clinic test a couple of months ago and could not sleep. The test was invalid because I probably had 1 1/2 hour of total sleep in a 7 hour stretch. 
I am scheduled for another test next week and the sleep doctor has said that although they do not like sleeping aids ambien is the least disruptive to your brain rythms and is allowed. My study will now be on an ASV machine (!!!) which took a long time to convince. They had me on an Vauto BiPAP but my AHI keeps going up.

Yes, I used something to help me sleep, three pints and a couple of whiskys, I slept like a log and gave them all the results they were looking for.
They wouldn't let me home without a machine!   Big Grin   When I saw the readout of the data I was surprised at how much lines were vertical ones   Unsure
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
My doctor encouraged me to take my usual sleeping med so I could fall asleep for the sleep study.  In fact, he suggested I take a double dose.. I take zopiclone, which is similar to lunesta...(it’s canadian.). As it was it was difficult to fall asleep but it didn’t interfere with the results.  It still showed severe sleep apnea.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What's the best home sleep test currently on the market? Lucky7 2 75 10 hours ago
Last Post: Jay51
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 160 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  Need help interpeing Lofta test results. LoftaUser 0 127 03-07-2024, 01:10 PM
Last Post: LoftaUser
  Self-administered sleep test? BlueSky1958 6 206 02-29-2024, 03:29 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 203 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Doubts about my diagnosis? (Test results + First night with CPAP) IAXEM 14 872 02-26-2024, 03:46 PM
Last Post: IAXEM
  Home Sleep apnea test xaid 5 861 02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: BDayton

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.