Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Use of facial lotions etc
Use of facial lotions etc
Is it better to go to bed with a dry face for a proper seal?

I don't like having a dry face (it's not very healthy either). At night I usually will put on an exfoliant cream and moisturizer.

If I let it soak in for a time before bed, would that be ok?

Also...wondering on the effect it may have on the silicone seals....specifically, the alpha-hydroxy cream. I don't know if that would harm the silicone or if it is absorbed into my skin already it may be ok??
~ Tigerlily ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Use of facial lotions etc
(03-06-2013, 10:46 PM)Tigerlily Wrote: Is it better to go to bed with a dry face for a proper seal?
For best result, wash mask after each use, wash your face before using your mask and avoid any facial treatment
According to ResMed, Facial treatment may cause reaction

Post Reply Post Reply
I have trouble with dry skin. I use skin lotion regularly, but not at bedtime. I haven't had any trouble with the silicone breaking down. Another option is a Sleepweaver cloth mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
If I use any creams, I use them early in the day. Some creams have patrolium and can break down the silicon in the mask which can interfere with getting a good seal.
The only acception to that is that when I use a nasal pillows mask, I use just a LITTLE BIT of HPA Lanolin in my nostriles but it doesn't have any patrolium in it.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, avoid anything with petroleum products as that can damage the silicone. Use it earlier in the day.

As long as it doesn't have petroleum, just wash the mask each morning.

Yet another reason I am glad I have a nasal pillow!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I could never keep my face free enough of oils to get a good seal with a nasal mask. Sometimes I had to get up in the middle of the night and wash my face again.

That's yet another reason why I'm thankful for nasal pillows.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Its better to keep face moisturized for night time specially if its dry type. I usually apply cleanser and then use a lotion that I have bought specifically for my dry face.

Post Reply Post Reply
I use Witch Hazel as an astringent to REMOVE as much oil and "moisture" from my face before going to bed and putting on my mask.

OMyMy
Post Reply Post Reply
It is a good thing that my wife is not on CPAP. Being a person of at least 250 lotions, potions, ointments, salves, creams, and powders, she would have a difficult time with this. Me, I just wash my face and then leave the cushion and my face where it contacts the cushion, damp.
Jim Quarles
hosehead
Illegitimus non Carborundum
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using pure aloe vera jell with nasal pillows with good results. Does seem to be any thin in the jell that hurts the pillows.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Electronic Facial patch for Detecting Sleep Apnea Sleepless in Dewberry 0 405 05-26-2023, 09:00 AM
Last Post: Sleepless in Dewberry
  F&P Evora Full With Facial Hair DreamerDude 2 924 11-19-2022, 06:02 PM
Last Post: DreamerDude
  Mask leaks facial fissures Mark Douglas 3 638 10-24-2022, 12:52 AM
Last Post: narual
  Facial skin stretching and creasing Oracles 4 911 03-29-2022, 06:41 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Upcoming Full face mask fitting at DME provider, facial shape considerations Rgn3 13 1,433 06-15-2021, 10:45 PM
Last Post: hegel
  Nasal mask to Facial mask increases the AHI a lot Pierrec83 3 884 01-20-2021, 06:43 AM
Last Post: Benzi
  [Equipment] Facial breakouts and blisters from masks Gunhawk2012 7 880 09-09-2020, 09:35 PM
Last Post: Big Guy

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.