Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Used 4-inch bricks to elevate bed
Used 4-inch bricks to elevate bed
I used 4-inch bricks from Home Depot to elevate bed. I did have 2-inch bricks under rollers, but felt they didn't make much of a difference (I don't have a headboard). When I woke up in the middle of the night, like I usually do, I didn't feel the need to transfer to my recliner, and was able to fall back asleep fairly quickly. Also, I wanted my fairly flat pillow and not my regular CPAP pillow. I always feel like I'm laying too flat when I wake up, hence my need to transfer to the recliner. Weird, I know, but hopefully I've solved this horrible problem.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Used 4-inch bricks to elevate bed
Good DIY job solutions
GoodOne
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend switching from the bricks to wood. The wood can be screwed together and will be more stable. Make them long enough to go from one side to the other as a single section. If you are even more creative, you can make a divot in the wood for the feet to sit in.

You don't want the bed to fall in the middle of the night. It is rather frightening.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Great idea. I knew I would probably have to put more energy into this, as right now I have to maneuver "very gingerly" in the bed right now. (If I weren't such a sad sap, I'd probably laugh a little about the situation as it stands.) I'm anxious to see if I can have a run of "good days," and then my brain might be able to handle your idea. I also just bought some Fixodent to paste my lips together tonight, in case I am doing "fluttering of the lips" breathing (I'm trying to rule out "everything"). I checked the AHI this morning and after three days, I've averaged 0.7. I'm also anxious to see if I can maintain this within a few points. I actually feel "happy" today.
Post Reply Post Reply
Congrats on the AHI!

Remember though, you don't have to worry about trying to get it lower. Anything lower than 5 means you are sleeping as good as folks who don't have sleep apnea. I doubt there's many non-SA folks who have an AHI that low.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-25-2012, 10:30 AM)Jenny Wrote: I checked the AHI this morning and after three days, I've averaged 0.7. I'm also anxious to see if I can maintain this within a few points. I actually feel "happy" today.

(04-25-2012, 10:53 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Congrats on the AHI!

Remember though, you don't have to worry about trying to get it lower. Anything lower than 5 means you are sleeping as good as folks who don't have sleep apnea. I doubt there's many non-SA folks who have an AHI that low.

That AHI is incredible, no worries there. If you're still feeling fatigue, etc, I'd just give yourself some time, you're working off your sleep debt.
Post Reply Post Reply
I highly suggest that you follow Paulas good suggestion.
BC (before cpap) ...I had a hiatal hernia causin a lot of reflux, and had raised the head of our bed with a 4x4 board ( not secured to bed foot).big mistake!!. in the middle of the night, the bed slipped off the board..yep it will!! The cat shot straight up in the air, wifey screamed, and I started looking all over my body for bullet holes.

secure the boards to the bed!!
Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is a mystery; Today is a gift; Thats why its called "The Present".  
Post Reply Post Reply
LOL.......picturing JudgeMental's scenario.

about 10 years ago my sister needed to raise the head of a bed. she called the phone company, explained the need and they gave her all the phone books she needed. she stacked the phone books straight across the head of the bed and tapered down the sides so the bed frame was sitting on phone books at an angle. i never did see it, but she said it worked real good. where there's a will theres a way, i guess. it seems like a couple boards would have been way less effort.

myself, for hiatal hernia w/reflux, i used craftmatic beds and raised the head that way until i retired the beds after 22 years, last year. now i have a foam rubber wedge, on top of the mattress, under my pillows that is 3' across, 6" high at the head, and tapers down to the end. it is 28" long
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I went back to the store and thought if regular Fixodent was good then super Poligrip would be better. So when I went to bed I pasted my lips together with the super Poligrip and felt confident enough to even take off the chinstrap. It pasted my lips together so firmly that the whole night I worried about the possibility of having to say something before I had time to remove the Poligrip, thus ripping my lips off and thinking I would then need reconstructive surgery, but no one would have ever attempted that. One time I woke up and half my mouth had become unpasted, flapping in the breeze, and I had no chinstrap on and thinking oh great, how many apneas have got by due to the leakage of air, but I was too tired to get up and do anything about it. At that time I also experienced horrid dryness in my throat and couldn’t figure out if it was due to the lips becoming unpasted, or that turning the humidifier off indeed did not work. I woke up tired. Sometimes I think I’m too stupid to live.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 759 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Old CPAP bricks vs Auto machine freejam 2 542 11-14-2022, 06:49 AM
Last Post: freejam
Gross Help me elevate without cranking my neck! Hydrangea 8 1,111 06-01-2021, 07:42 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.