Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Used 4-inch bricks to elevate bed
RE: Used 4-inch bricks to elevate bed
(04-25-2012, 10:19 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: I recommend switching from the bricks to wood. The wood can be screwed together and will be more stable. Make them long enough to go from one side to the other as a single section. If you are even more creative, you can make a divot in the wood for the feet to sit in.

You don't want the bed to fall in the middle of the night. It is rather frightening.

^What she said.

Easiest way I know to keep the legs/wheels from slipping off, waking you with a very rude jolt, is to screw a couple of metal jar lids to the boards for the wheels to set in...
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh. Duh. What a great idea! I'll do that next week.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2012, 09:23 AM)Jenny Wrote: One time I woke up and half my mouth had become unpasted, flapping in the breeze, and I had no chinstrap on and thinking oh great, how many apneas have got by due to the leakage of air, but I was too tired to get up and do anything about it.

Why don't you just wear the chin strap instead of using the paste?

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2012, 03:01 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(04-26-2012, 09:23 AM)Jenny Wrote: One time I woke up and half my mouth had become unpasted, flapping in the breeze, and I had no chinstrap on and thinking oh great, how many apneas have got by due to the leakage of air, but I was too tired to get up and do anything about it.

Why don't you just wear the chin strap instead of using the paste?

chin straps don't work on everybody. my wife has tried different chinstraps that appear to close her mouth, but she putt-putts air out the lips all night long like a 57 chevy with the quiet sounding purring glass pack mufflers. this may have to do with no teeth and the gums not closing on each other. it may work different with teeth.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I know this thread is old but I haven't been here for awhile and I wanted to respond to it. I wanted to raise the head of my bed by 4". I went to the lumber yard and bought a long plank that states it is 2" thick. I didn't know that in builders' terms that means 1 1/2" thick. I had part of it sawed up into 6 pieces 4x4". 2 each for the head of the bed and 1 each for half way down the bed. I'm unsure if it has made a difference though. I have been thinking about adding another inch and now after reading your post I'm going to try that. One thing I have noticed is that when I have an apnea episode it doesn't take as much pressure to correct it. Maybe that's a good thing I don't know.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-17-2012, 03:40 PM)swilson Wrote: One thing I have noticed is that when I have an apnea episode it doesn't take as much pressure to correct it. Maybe that's a good thing I don't know.
Its always good to be on a lower pressure, The S9 Autoset don,t raise the pressure during an apnea but just try stop the next one.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've noticed that the pressure doesn't go up until after an apnea starts. I was surprised. So, I gathered the CPAP machine wasn't meant to stop the Apnea episode but to shorten the length of it. I didn't know that the first episode gets the machine ready to look for other episodes. Sorry to stray from the topic of this forum.
Post Reply Post Reply
I recommend using extreme caution using ANY means of keeping your mouth closed and sealed against mouth breathing at night. I actually had a friend gag and through up while his lips were sealed closed. He ashphyxiated and died. I have looked into and experimented with the while 9 yards including the PAP-CAP and they all worked well but I deemed them all to be a safety hazard and went to the Quattro full face mask which can be pulled off rapidly and has a hose swivel as a second 'escape route'. It also provides the most consistent leak rate I could find and maintains a solid lock on its seal to your face regardless of tossing and turning at night.

Caution! Warning Will Robinson! Danger!

(04-26-2012, 09:23 AM)Jenny Wrote: I went back to the store and thought if regular Fixodent was good then super Poligrip would be better. So when I went to bed I pasted my lips together with the super Poligrip and felt confident enough to even take off the chinstrap. It pasted my lips together so firmly that the whole night I worried about the possibility of having to say something before I had time to remove the Poligrip, thus ripping my lips off and thinking I would then need reconstructive surgery, but no one would have ever attempted that. One time I woke up and half my mouth had become unpasted, flapping in the breeze, and I had no chinstrap on and thinking oh great, how many apneas have got by due to the leakage of air, but I was too tired to get up and do anything about it. At that time I also experienced horrid dryness in my throat and couldn’t figure out if it was due to the lips becoming unpasted, or that turning the humidifier off indeed did not work. I woke up tired. Sometimes I think I’m too stupid to live.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Educate, Advocate, Contemplate.
Herein lies personal opinion, no professional advice, which ALL are well advised to seek.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2012, 12:05 AM)swilson Wrote: I've noticed that the pressure doesn't go up until after an apnea starts. I was surprised. So, I gathered the CPAP machine wasn't meant to stop the Apnea episode but to shorten the length of it. I didn't know that the first episode gets the machine ready to look for other episodes. Sorry to stray from the topic of this forum.

What the xPAP does is use air pressure to keep the airway open. A 'straight' CPAP uses the same amount of air no matter what. An 'automatic' PAP uses variable pressure. It uses whatever is necessary to keep the airway open.

An APAP is a lot like the cruise control of your car. You are driving on a flat highway so the cruise control keeps the same amount of pressure on the gas pedal. Then you start up a hill. The car doesn't know it is a hill until it feels itself slowing down, so it increases the gas to maintain that speed. Sometimes it will go over that speed because the hill is still being climbed. Once it levels off again, the cruise control will decrease the gas until the speed is where it is supposed to be.

So if you have an apnea event, an APAP will increase the air pressure until it senses you no longer need that much and it will back down. If you have another event, it will increase again.

As for the bed posts. it is probably better to start off with a slight rise then slowly increase it until you get the desired result. Some may need more than 4", some don't need much at all.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-18-2012, 03:11 AM)TorontoCPAPguy Wrote: I recommend using extreme caution using ANY means of keeping your mouth closed and sealed against mouth breathing at night. I actually had a friend gag and through up while his lips were sealed closed. He ashphyxiated and died.

That's good advice. Anyone who is tempted to tape their mouth shut after reading about it on the Internet should heed this advice. If you're still tempted, you might want to look into chin up strips. Marketed in the UK as anti-snoring devices. I fashioned my own with three strips of tape. It was too uncomfortable, so I gave it up after one try.

Quote: ... and went to the Quattro full face mask which can be pulled off rapidly and has a hose swivel as a second 'escape route'.

It also has an anti-asphixiation valve, as do all face masks.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 759 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Old CPAP bricks vs Auto machine freejam 2 542 11-14-2022, 06:49 AM
Last Post: freejam
Gross Help me elevate without cranking my neck! Hydrangea 8 1,112 06-01-2021, 07:42 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.