Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Used CPAP for the first time looking for OSCAR lookover
RE: Used CPAP for the first time looking for OSCAR lookover
Dave knows far more than I do about this.  But looking at the Hypopnea from last night, could many of them be from positional apnea?  The first nights charts showed a few but last night had many and closely together.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Also hearing I may need an entirely different device since I just got this one (for free no less) is pretty discouraging, especially since I don't mind/feel comfortable with the tubes and everything that most people seem to have trouble with at night. I really don't mind sleeping with this thing at all
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, check off the altitude thing.

The thing is, there's several models of PAP machine as there's differing levels of need for therapy. It's not one size fits all. Generically speaking it seems that so far your body is very sensitive to pressure, with the sensitivity creating Central Apnea.

Let's try this, 8-13 instead of my earlier suggestion. Try it one night as long as you're able. If it feels real bad change it back. Post a single standard OSCAR with Events on top, followed by flow rate, pressure, leaks, flow limit. Squash individual chart segments thickness to fit all. Tell us how your felt during and after use.

Central 101 class time
Central Apnea is caused when CO2 diminishes in the bloodstream. CPAP devices make breathing more efficient at exhausting CO2. You're extra sensitive to this for some reason not known.

There's 3 basic types of CA, treatment emergent is where be PAP users get some CA in first 3 months, reducing EPR and other pressure swings helps get past 3 months while you're getting used to it. The pre-existing CA is where it shows on your diagnosic at 50% it more of your events before PAP is introduced. Idiopathic is medically unknown cause, possibly you're in group 3 unknown cause. The first type disappears when PAP users get used to it, the other 2 require specialized PAP called ASV as it targets the CA to treat. Just my opinion but yours don't seem to respond as treatment emergent CA would.

If these CA don't diminish soon, you need to get your doctor to script an ASV titration to prove medical necessity for the ASV to treat CA.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Will do, thanks again
Post Reply Post Reply

Heres the full night with the categories requested at the top at the settings mentioned
Post Reply Post Reply
Also considering a nasal mask as my full face one is irritating me in the mornings I think due to my beard
Post Reply Post Reply
Try Min = Max =13, no EPR (Your CA events seem to at a lower pressure. We may adjust after we see it.
If this doesn't work I want you to have screenshot of CPAP mode (No EPR) and a screen shot of BiLevel Mode (EPR = 3) to show how both failed.
Post Reply Post Reply
Also make a daily log for symptoms and complaints against the current therapy. Examples: CA count was x, not well rested, high fatigue, uncomfortable, and similar. I'd also include setting changes, how they helped or didn't. This counts towards moving on to a different machine.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
PS I've not gotten used to using them effectively, but a pillows mask may be even better. I've got a ResMed N30i that I have swapped in P30i cushions, this gives 2 masks in one-ish. There's some good masks at Fisher and Paykel as well. They seem to have a bellows feature on some called RollFit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Oh huh, to be clearer on my results I took a nap yesterday and I guess OSCAR mashed my results together with that and left the gap while I was awake. During my nap I used a nasal mask (N30 I believe)
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] CPAP works, but at the same time doesn't AUniqueUsername 7 94 2 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Can you regain CPAP coverage after failing compliance the first time? dharma2255 3 74 4 hours ago
Last Post: eok361
  First time therapy, settings and progress Schernenk 56 858 Yesterday, 02:05 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 386 04-16-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  Oscar 1.4.0 software time change keithy62 2 115 04-12-2024, 05:14 AM
Last Post: keithy62
  Long Time PAPer Trying to Dial It In again! dlbzone 5 265 04-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: dlbzone
  First night CPAP + OSCAR data Ostrich 3 233 04-04-2024, 08:32 AM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.