Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Used supplies
Used supplies
I've been using a CPAP machine for over five years and have never thrown out any used equipment, heated hose, mask, water tank, etc... It's getting to much to store. What are some of the ideas for disposal, or even recycling, of that stuff?

Cheeers, VegasPier
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Used supplies
Pick any garbage can you control and toss it in. Since your waste is not electronic nor hazardous, there is no problem with tossing it the bin. Just don't put it in the paper bin or the bottle/can bin … use the mixed waste bin. If you want to dispose of the device itself, you can drop it off any place that accepts electronic waste.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2018, 05:39 AM)srlevine1 Wrote: Pick any garbage can you control and toss it in. Since your waste is not electronic nor hazardous, there is no problem with tossing it the bin. Just don't put it in the paper bin or the bottle/can bin … use the mixed waste bin. If you want to dispose of the device itself, you can drop it off any place that accepts electronic waste.

I think srlevine1 has put forth the most practical solution, that's probably what most of us do. However, be sure and hang on to a couple of each item to tide you over in a crunch. You can probably work into a stash of one or two unopened masks and hoses. As far as machines go, I do not toss them out, I hang on to one for backup and have passed others on to someone else.

Stan
Post Reply Post Reply
I just throw my old stuff out in the regular trash. I was cleaning some stuff out of the closet and found all sorts of stuff I hadn't even opened. Several masks still in the sealed bags, mask cushions, and hoses - oh, I could probably replumb the entire house with all the hoses I have. Big thing is to keep one of everything so you have a backup if needed.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
You can cut a hose along the length and use it to tame or protect wires. Other than that, nothing else is really reusable once used. For the rest of the stuff, if you can remove the metal part on your humidifier, you can recycle the plastic. Otherwise, most garbage disposable companies call it medical waste and to just throw in your regular garbage.
Post Reply Post Reply
in my town there's a charitable group that collects and makes durable medical equipment available for use or reuse. maybe something similar in your town. once you find them, you have to find out what they accept. for cpap related items, probably not used consumables like hoses and masks but probably unopened packaged items and pap machines that are not too old.
Post Reply Post Reply
Check out the following website for donating used equipment and unused supplies: http://blog.cpapcentral.com/recycling-do...equipment/

Over the years I've donate machines and supplies to Secondwind, which is the third option on the above webpage.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-30-2018, 11:40 AM)Mosquitobait Wrote: You can cut a hose along the length and use it to tame or protect wires.  

Thanks like Absolutely fantastic idea -- just used a box cutter on an older hose and now the cord tangle behind my desk has been immeasurably improved. Thanks.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare Providers for Airmini Supplies knitsafghans 4 156 03-15-2024, 11:07 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Changing CPAP Machine & DME/Insurance & Supplies StratCat48 3 275 02-10-2024, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Medicare & Re-Ordering Supplies oneeyeopen 12 872 02-07-2024, 08:10 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 377 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Extra Supplies Columbiabill 2 390 12-28-2023, 03:15 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Wink CPAP machine and supplies? Insurance or not? Fatheaded 13 1,582 11-26-2023, 05:50 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Where to send unused/unopened CPAP supplies? highrateleaker 1 527 11-25-2023, 03:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.