Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Usefulness of Pulse Oxi and/or Zeo?
Usefulness of Pulse Oxi and/or Zeo?
Curious, I've been on CPAP therapy since 9/30/11 and have gotten great AHI scores (usually below 1.0) with very little leak (since I started using the Quattro FX), yet I still feel tired in the afternoons, rarely dream and don't know that I can say that I wake up feeling refreshed every morning. Huh Would the purchase of a pulse oximeter and/or a Zeo give me any clues as to why that is? Appreciate any advice and comments! Thanks
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Usefulness of Pulse Oxi and/or Zeo?
(05-01-2012, 07:31 AM)b360155 Wrote: Curious, I've been on CPAP therapy since 9/30/11 and have gotten great AHI scores (usually below 1.0) with very little leak (since I started using the Quattro FX), yet I still feel tired in the afternoons, rarely dream and don't know that I can say that I wake up feeling refreshed every morning. Huh Would the purchase of a pulse oximeter and/or a Zeo give me any clues as to why that is? Appreciate any advice and comments! Thanks

Ditto, Im over 2 years now and still fall asleep all the bloody time Im always tired it never leaves me but its better than what is was. I didnt bother with a Zeo and went with an Oxi instead as I thought this would give me the best results.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2012, 07:31 AM)b360155 Wrote: Curious, I've been on CPAP therapy since 9/30/11 and have gotten great AHI scores (usually below 1.0) with very little leak (since I started using the Quattro FX), yet I still feel tired in the afternoons, rarely dream and don't know that I can say that I wake up feeling refreshed every morning. Huh Would the purchase of a pulse oximeter and/or a Zeo give me any clues as to why that is? Appreciate any advice and comments! Thanks

zeo is not something that interests me.

here's an o2 story. my wife wasn't using her cpap so i bought an oximeter to show her what her o2 looked like without her cpap. it was low and she started to use the cpap. then i stuck the oximeter on her to show her how the o2 had come up with the cpap. wake up call. wrong answer. her o2 was still low with cpap. we got the doctor to order a professional o2 study which confirmed my little oximeter results. the next day she had an o2 generator delivered. now her o2 is up where it should be with and without cpap.

so you could get your regular doc to order an o2 study to verify your o2 is ok on cpap or you could buy a little recording pulse oximeter and check it yourself. with your good numbers you'd think you wouldn't need to check it, but my wife has had good numbers all along too.

the thing i would check or re-check is the restless leg thing. they don't have to bounce off the walls to be a problem. just twitching while you sleep could be as bad as apnea episodes in that they keep you out of deep sleep. a small dose of parkinsons medicine stops the restless leg thing. you may want to ask the doc if they checked for restless leg and if there was none or if it was borderline and he decided not to treat. maybe it has changed and it has started or it is over the borderline now.

First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
I highly recommend an oximeter. You don't have to use it every night, just ten or more in a row so you can notice trends. Then use it whenever you have a new medication or you are curious as to how a particular event effects your sleep. (late party, hard day, lazy day)

Supplier #19 on the suppliers list has some great prices.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the replies. I saw G.U.B's review of the CMS-50D+ and also saw Supplier #19's site. I may have to make an investment in that unit. No feedback from anyone on the Zeo and what benefits it provides?
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, I did a Google search for Zeo. I found their website.

All I see is information on how to buy it. Even their "find out how to get better sleep!" says it is a link to a dealer near me.

Their "knowledge center" is full of decent information on sleep and sleep hygiene but not much on what the heck the device does.

If I can't discover on the front page just what a device does, I ain't buyin' it. They are selling this solely because So and So said it was cool. Yeah, but what does it do?

So, no, I don't recommend it. I think it is malarky hype. Even if cutie pie Cooper Andersen likes it. Laugh-a-lot
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
It looks like an O2 meter might help me understand what is going on. I get a lot of leaks but they appear to be me breathing through my mouth. SleepyHead shows a constant mask pressure but I think it would be nice to know what my O2 levels are.
This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and 
grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way 
are to be considered flaws or defects.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2012, 07:02 PM)Cutter Wrote: It looks like an O2 meter might help me understand what is going on. I get a lot of leaks but they appear to be me breathing through my mouth. SleepyHead shows a constant mask pressure but I think it would be nice to know what my O2 levels are.

The O2 meter is definately well worth the small price IMHO. I also get big leaks when using the Swift FX pillows but was able to confirm that the O2 levels did not seem to drop during the mouth leaks. Also confirmed that the increased OAs I get with the Quattro FX FFM were real because I could see the correlation with the O2 levels dropping something like 5% when the OAs occured.
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks to G.U.B's great review and pssnn's excellent Wiki article, along with favorable comments from other members, I'm now the proud owner of a Contec CMS-50D Plus Pulse Oximeter. It just arrived in the mail yesterday and I used it for the first time last night. I love gadgets and I'd say for the price, this is a great and useful tool to have in the Sleep Apnea arsenal. Attached is a copy of my first night's oximetry report.
[attachment=183]

Now, I just need to figure out what it says. I think as far as the SpO2 levels, it's good news although it shows 8 "events" as during my sleep study prior to starting CPAP, I had desaturations as low as 71 and last night the lowest level was 94 which I think is pretty good. Not sure about the pulse results though as it's showing 42 pulse "events". Is that bad? I did notice when I mated this up to my Sleepyhead graphs that it appears there is a correlation between my flow limitation spikes and my pulse rate spikes.

If anybody can shed any light on these results, I'd appreciate hearing from you!

Anyway, love my new toy! Only slight regret I have today is that I saw another website that had the CMS-50E unit for only $2 more including free delivery. That unit has a few more features, most importantly, it comes with a built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery which from the sounds of it could come in very handy, but then I used some rechargeable AAA batteries that I already had last night and it worked just fine.
Post Reply Post Reply
You are right about the O2 results. The idea is to look at the overall image. With your O2 not going lower than 94, I'd say it was a good night!

I've not figured out what the pulse information means exactly. I can see where the lowest O2 is also where the pulse raises the most. That's not surprising.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pulse oximeter recommendations? p123 17 1,469 04-13-2024, 12:31 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Added an O2/Pulse meter to my therapy: Phaleronic 21 663 04-04-2024, 11:21 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 compatible pulse oximeters timtaller 63 27,514 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: e727147
  are there pulse oximeter synced CPAP/Bipap/sleep study devices? bhavintu79 1 247 03-02-2024, 04:53 AM
Last Post: Gep232
  [Health] Pulse oximeter readings while asleep and awake - what do these readings mean? SleepyButHopeful 11 759 02-26-2024, 03:17 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 270 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  [CPAP] Need help with low pulse ox data/CPAP data Dan E 5 435 02-05-2024, 03:41 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.