Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

User Flag #1 & #2
I wonder if someone would explain to me just what User Flag 1 & 2 mean and how they are are interpreted. I get alot of them, anywhere from 30 to 40 per night. I thought that anything over 10 seconds in the flow rate graph would be shown as an apnea or hypopnea. In the first attachment below I have a UF 1 that lasts 11 seconds and another one for 10 seconds. Why would they not show up as CA's ?

In the second attachment below I have a UF 2 that lasts 13 seconds . Why would that not be recorded as a hypopnea ?

There is obviously something I don't understand about the UF 1 & 2's so I would appreciate it if someone could educate me about them.
Post Reply Post Reply
The UF1 and UF2 stand for User Flag with the default being set to Flow Restriction 20% and 50% respectively. These values but may be changed, as well as the length in time. I renamed mine FR20 and FR50 so I could remember what they are.  These are events that are calculated by SleepyHead and not a registered event by the CPAP.  You can have a very low AHI and still feel tired. Reviewing these parameters may show that you are having little disturbances that are causing the tiredness.

They may be turned on/off by File->Preferences->CPAP->Custom CPAP User Event Flagging. To customize the labels, under Preferences->Events, then click on the label to invoke an edit box. This edit feature works on both the Name column and the Label column.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
I still don't quite understand why the UF 1 & 2 in my example would not be recorded as CA's and Hypopnea by CPAP when they are over 10 seconds long. What am I missing in my logic ? Is it that the flow restriction used by CPAP  is not the same as  the 20 and 50% used by Sleepyhead ?
Post Reply Post Reply

One point that may not be obvious is that Flow Restriction 20% (or 50%) means 'restriction down to 20% (or 50%) of prior flow'. This is evident from the fact that (in my charts, at least) UF2 (FR50) shows up much more often than UF1.

I haven't been able to come up with a short name that makes this clear.
Post Reply Post Reply
nadprok,

A CA is the absence of breathing without an airway occlusion.   An OA is the absence of breathing caused by an airway occlusion.  A Hypopnea is diminished breathing precipitated by a partially occluded airway.   A Hypopnea can be a precursor to an OA.
Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] new user having a hard time mattm1 22 590 12-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Last Post: mattm1
Smile [Equipment] New to DreamStation Old CPAP user JoGlo 3 202 12-01-2017, 01:53 AM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  HI! - new user reporting in (FP/Resmed/Philips info) Keljian 12 339 11-28-2017, 03:08 AM
Last Post: Keljian
  New User of 2 Nights Solar Rays 13 480 11-26-2017, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Solar Rays
  New User enlyghten 13 320 11-24-2017, 12:35 PM
Last Post: enlyghten
  New User [need help with my data] Recurve 69 2,720 11-23-2017, 05:36 AM
Last Post: ajack
  New APAP User Help Brando 5 190 11-22-2017, 05:22 PM
Last Post: ajack