Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using CPAP and have a questions in regards to throat
Using CPAP and have a questions in regards to throat
I have been using he cpap for 19 days now. I once posted a question in regards to the smothering feeling. I can successfully say I don't get that feeling anymore since the machine started starting at a higher pressure instead of pressure of 5. (I have a auto-titrate from 5 to 15). Yeah!

However I am now having a very strange feeling in my throat. I'm sure it's due to the cpap pressure. I wouldn't call it a painful feeling but more a feeling like a lump in the throat. When I look downward the pressure in my throat is worse. I'm breathing fine but the feeling is annoying? Anyone else ever have this feeling in their throat? Sorry it's kinda hard to explain. My average pressures through the night have been 10.5 to 15.

On good thing is my AHI has been good...ranging from 0.0 to 0.5. Smile

Thanks, Michelle
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using CPAP and have a questions in regards to throat
(05-14-2014, 09:30 PM)Dragonflyshell Wrote: I have been using he cpap for 19 days now. I once posted a question in regards to the smothering feeling. I can successfully say I don't get that feeling anymore since the machine started starting at a higher pressure instead of pressure of 5. (I have a auto-titrate from 5 to 15). Yeah!

However I am now having a very strange feeling in my throat. I'm sure it's due to the cpap pressure. I wouldn't call it a painful feeling but more a feeling like a lump in the throat. When I look downward the pressure in my throat is worse. I'm breathing fine but the feeling is annoying? Anyone else ever have this feeling in their throat? Sorry it's kinda hard to explain. My average pressures through the night have been 10.5 to 15.

On good thing is my AHI has been good...ranging from 0.0 to 0.5. Smile

Thanks, Michelle

Hey Michelle, good job on the AHI thing. I have a lump in my throat but it's not really anything all that new. I have COPD and one of the things it does is make me feel like I have a lump in my throat. There is a "condition," but I don't remember what it is. I do remember it's no big deal. Unless one just doesn't like to have a lump in their throat.

Anything missing around your house? Like maybe your hamster?

If it continues to be a concern, I'd have it checked out with your primary doc.

Post Reply Post Reply
I have never experienced the sensation you described.

One possibility is that you are starting to open your mouth while sleeping, thus allowing the air to move out your mouth, drying out the tissues of your throat. You may want to try using a chin strap to encourage your mouth the stay closed at night and see if the sensation disappears.

If the condition persists, you should touch base with your sleep doc/clinic or have an ENT doc take a look down your throat to see what is happening.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2014, 09:39 PM)retired_guy Wrote: Anything missing around your house? Like maybe your hamster?

If it continues to be a concern, I'd have it checked out with your primary doc.

lol No missing hamsters...have four cats but too big to crawl into my hose. Tongue
Post Reply Post Reply
Have the doctor take a good look. It could be something like tonsils.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2014, 09:41 PM)PollCat Wrote: I have never experienced the sensation you described.

One possibility is that you are starting to open your mouth while sleeping, thus allowing the air to move out your mouth, drying out the tissues of your throat. You may want to try using a chin strap to encourage your mouth the stay closed at night and see if the sensation disappears.

If the condition persists, you should touch base with your sleep doc/clinic or have an ENT doc take a look down your throat to see what is happening.

It's possible and a few times I have done so that it woke me up but in general I wake with my mouth closed. Actually I find that I'm clinching my teeth/jaw and hard for me to want to open my mouth. So I know I keep my mouth closed more often than not. I see the doc June 5th and will speak to them then unless it worsens.

Thanks. Michelle
Post Reply Post Reply
This new in, it is always best to have new stuff checked out. You, and us, don't know if it is CPAP or something else.

So get thee hence to your GP and have 'im take a look.

Then let us know what happens.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2014, 09:55 PM)Dragonflyshell Wrote: It's possible and a few times I have done so that it woke me up but in general I wake with my mouth closed.

The machine's on-screen display will give you the percent time in large leak. It's easy for me to keep it at zero percent with a chin strap, which is needed to keep the airway from collapsing.

You can also look at the leak graph in SleepyHead. The large spikes are easy to spot.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-14-2014, 09:55 PM)Dragonflyshell Wrote: It's possible and a few times I have done so that it woke me up but in general I wake with my mouth closed. Actually I find that I'm clinching my teeth/jaw and hard for me to want to open my mouth. So I know I keep my mouth closed more often than not. I see the doc June 5th and will speak to them then unless it worsens.

Thanks. Michelle

When I was using a nasal mask and before I was accessing my data, I was quite sure that I was not having any mouth leaks because, like you I never woke up with my mouth open. When I began downloading and looking at my data, I found that my leakage was really bad most of the night. I tested my mask a number of times and did not get any leaks, so I am quite sure that it was all mouth leaks. I do not remember what CPAP you have but if it is data capable, download the software and, if necessary, get a data card and reader and see what your data says.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  1 Month In - Some Questions rarmstrong26 4 148 Yesterday, 06:45 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  Juniper's questions juniper 12 267 03-21-2024, 07:40 AM
Last Post: juniper
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 258 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  A few questions!! Iceracer 2 307 01-19-2024, 07:53 PM
Last Post: Iceracer
  Need Help. Many Questions wkennedy 6 464 12-31-2023, 10:50 AM
Last Post: wkennedy
  [CPAP] Questions about CPAP pressure algorithms about apnea charlie4691 5 580 12-27-2023, 11:43 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.