Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using CPAP for 8 Years - Always Getting Up Tired
Using CPAP for 8 Years - Always Getting Up Tired
[attachment=6951]

I have been using CPAP for past 8 years but I always get up tired. Currently I have ResMed 10 Autoset. I recently installed SleepyHead but I don't understand the meaning of the numbers and graphs. Would someone be able to help me understand them? I read the online help but still don't get it. 

My Auto pressure ranges between 8 and 14. BTW the sleep doctor never told me to use APAP machine. They insisted I used CPAP machine. I went and got an APAP anyways as I thought the pressure during the night cannot be constant because it depends on our sleeping position and etc. The doctor told me APAP is only required for specific type of sleep disorder. 

Please help interpert attached data. The bottom line is that I wake up tired although the data may suggest the machine is doing its job.

I am using ResMed S10 AutoSense.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using CPAP for 8 Years - Always Getting Up Tired
G'day happyguardian. Welcome back to Apnea Board.

First, your chart is exactly as we like to see it, so for a SleepyHead newbie you've done well. Looking at your chart, the great majority of events are central apneas - these occur when the "breath now" message from the brain to the lungs is either not generated or not received. (So quite different from the normal obstructive apnea). Your machine is not designed to treat central apnea but with careful adjustments to the settings it can be made to improve things slightly. In your case I'd consider turning the EPR off, or at least reduce it to one if you can't do without it completely. This has the effect of modifying the CO2 levels in the blood, which in turn affect the part of the brain which sends the "breathe now" signal.

Other than that, it looks like the machine is doing its job. There are, of course, lots of other reasons for waking tired which don't relate to apnea. They can include thyroid and other conditions which can be detected with a blood test. High levels of personal stress or depression can be involved, as well as physical conditions including lung and heart. Maybe it's time for a full physical?

By the way, I think you did the right thing over-ruling your doctor and getting the auto machine. Sounds like he is taking a very conservative and somewhat old fashioned approach.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is the chart you showed typical? Do you always have more CA events then OA+H?
I suspect that your OSA is not yet fully addressed. Raising the minimum pressure will help to further reduce the OA+H.
Post Reply Post Reply
I think you may be near ideal settings with very low obstructive event rate. The CA may not be very consequential, and it really depends on how you feel. You can look at the event times by clicking on the Events tab just below the date. Your pressure is high enough to prevent obstructive apnea to one/two hours, and your use of EPR may be keeping Flow limitation, hypopnea and RERA lower than fixed pressure without it.

You can try reducing EPR to reduce CA, but watch for increases of H, FL and RERA. Worth a try. Good job on the graphs, and mostly very good results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help a noob - low AHI but still feeling tired PeachPhantom 3 138 04-17-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: PeachPhantom
  [CPAP] Low AHIs but still tired EntRESTo 3 226 04-16-2024, 08:27 AM
Last Post: 40plus
Sad 7 Years of Pap Therapy and Still Utterly Fatigued. Top doctors Unhelpful kalensk 1 116 04-11-2024, 06:48 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Low AHI but still feel tired everyday Abhi 7 475 04-10-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  How many years does a mask last? nnddcc 6 301 04-09-2024, 11:43 AM
Last Post: DancesWithCats
  Incorrectly on ASV for several years rickresmed 2 126 04-04-2024, 09:18 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 293 03-27-2024, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.