Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using CPAP in flight
RE: Using CPAP in flight
Your empower plug is discussed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EmPower_%2...adapter%29
[Image: 330px-Empower_jack.png]

Don't worry about Air France flights. They only make 3 stops: One for fuel and two for directions.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using CPAP in flight
If you plan to use the machine during the flight, I think the airline may require prior approval and a special airline-specific form may need to be signed by your doctor verifying medical necessity.

Use of humidifier during flight is NOT recommended. In flight there are occasional rough atmospheric conditions which could cause water to splash back into blower unit and immediately and completely ruin the machine. Water damage is not covered by machine warrantee.

The advice below was copied from ResMed web site
http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/sup...pment.html

Before traveling with your therapy equipment, you should:

At least two weeks prior to traveling, get clearance from the airline to use your device on a flight (if your approval is in the form of a letter, carry a copy with you).

Arrange to sit near a power source on the aircraft. The RPS II, our lightweight and portable power station, is ideal for air travel.

Confirm the type of power cord or adapter used by the aircraft

Carry a letter from your doctor certifying your need for positive airway pressure therapy.

Take a copy of ResMed’s statement of FAA compliance letter for ResMed devices

Pack the correct adapter for the country you’re traveling to because power outlets differ in each country. Adaptors can be bought from most electronics and travel stores, as well as in airports.

Ensure that there is no water in the humidifier tub before detaching it from the device and packing it away.

Most ResMed devices can automatically adjust for changes in altitude and run on virtually any power supply in the world, with a suitable adapter.

Remember, you can use your device on the plane, but not your humidifier, as aircraft turbulence increases the risk of water spillage and damage to the device.

On arrival at your destination, don’t forget to use distilled or deionized water to fill your humidifier tub.

Your Hotel room may not have a power socket located near the bed head, so pack an extension cord to use your device and mask, comfortably.

The following information should always be within reach:

Your treatment pressure
Your mask type and size
Contact details for your equipment supplier and care provider
Your health insurance information
Your doctor’s details
A copy of the ResMed positive airway pressure device travel letter for assistance in carrying the device through security and on the aircraft

Travel with sleep apnea FAQs

Can my therapy device run from the 400Hz power supply on the aircraft?

Yes. Even though the rating plate on the therapy device specifies

50-60Hz, the switch mode power supply in the flow generator is compatible with the 110 volts 400Hz power supply on the aircraft.

Will I need to have my therapy device adjusted if I travel at high altitudes?

While most of our devices will automatically compensate for higher altitude changes, some lightweight devices may require manual adjustment. If no adjustment is made, it may deliver less effective therapy. Please consult your local care provider for more information.

Will the x-ray scanners at airport security affect my therapy device?

No, the x-ray scanners will not harm your device. However, Security may need to see the medical statement from your physician verifying that you are carrying medical equipment. So keep it handy!

Do I need to take my device with me if I need hospitalization?

Yes. If you’re having surgery, it’s very important that you tell both the surgeon and the anesthesiologist that you have been diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) and are being treated with positive airway pressure therapy.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  non-CPAP device, for in-flight use Moe52 6 1,205 07-31-2019, 07:51 AM
Last Post: ardenum
Question Z1 problem on flight numbersman 1 1,250 06-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Last Post: Diotima245
  Flying and using machine on a flight? Can it help SpO2 at high altitude? MyronH 10 2,407 04-21-2019, 05:25 PM
Last Post: Matt00926
  [CPAP] Qantas Flight with Resmed S9 Autoset Lofty 14 3,413 12-11-2017, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Muncie
  [Equipment] Using machine on flight travelost 7 1,578 04-06-2017, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Long-haul in-flight CPAP? Carbon 7 2,917 04-03-2016, 10:34 PM
Last Post: tmo1138
  Alternative to CPAP-long airline flight harmonicamoon 17 12,934 03-30-2014, 07:06 PM
Last Post: vsheline

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.