Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using CPAP on Long Haul Flights
Using CPAP on Long Haul Flights
I'm travelling to the UK and back on Emirates bizzo class. I want to be able to use my machine but the blurb below says I have to use battery only, despite the fact that they have a power socket.

In accordance with UAE General Civil Aviation Authority regulations, if you wish to use a CPAP/PAP device on board your flight you must submit a physician’s statement to an Emirates reservations agent at least 48 hours prior to travel that:
states that you have the physical and cognitive ability to see, hear and understand the device’s aural and visual cautions and warnings and are able, without assistance to take the appropriate action in response to those cautions and warnings;
states whether or not use of the device is medically necessary for all or a portion of the duration of the trip; and
specifies the maximum oxygen flow rate corresponding to the pressure in the cabin of the aircraft under normal operating conditions.
You must bring the physician’s statement with you on the day of travel and report to the check-in desk one hour in advance of scheduled check-in time.
You are responsible for travelling with a sufficient supply of batteries to last the entire journey, including transit and unexpected delays.
You must ensure that the unit is not connected to any of the aircraft power sockets, and that batteries for approved CPAP/PAP machines carried on board the aircraft in carry-on baggage are protected from short circuit and are packaged in a manner that protects them from physical damage. Batteries protected from short circuit include:
those designed with recessed battery terminals; or
those packaged so that the battery terminals do not contact metal objects, including the battery terminals of other batteries.

QANTAS have similar restrictions.

What are your experiences of using your PAP machine on long haul flights.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using CPAP on Long Haul Flights
I flew to Europe last September in Qatar Business class. They don't require a medical certificate for CPAP, but I made sure the travel agent checked with them. I carried my prescription and the ResMed blurb about aviation compliance (FAA).

On board the long flight from Adelaide to Doha and return I spoke to the head flight attendant, showed her the machine, explained what it was for, showed her the FAA compliance on the machine and re-assured her that I did not need any assistance or oxygen! (Neither had any idea what CPAP was but thanked me for letting them know)

I plugged into the power supply with no issues, and actually slept for 7 hours on the outward journey. I didn't sleep much on the return journey, but still used the machine.

It is a real shame there is no consistency between airlines.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds very CYA. Flew on Egyptair JFK to Cairo 12 hours on a Boeing 777 in Bizfirst (podperson) and plugged in, turned on, and tuned out. I had a battery with me because the agent on the phone had told me no where to plug in when I called, but there was. Nobody asked for paper.
United 767, 777, 787 and BA domestic and over the pond no problems.
Brussel's Air A320 from Brussel to Liberia and back no problem.
(What are they going to do when you are at 35,000 feet in the middle of the Atlantic and you tell them you have to use it?)
Post Reply Post Reply
It is this section that makes me wonder if they really know what CPAP is

and
specifies the maximum oxygen flow rate corresponding to the pressure in the cabin of the aircraft under normal operating conditions.

I can understand them being wary of oxygen but as O2 isn't part of my PAP it doesn't really apply.

I'm just going to get on with my machine and plug it in when I am ready. I'll carry those compliance regs with me as back up.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Long story short chronic 5 360 02-18-2024, 03:43 PM
Last Post: chronic
Sad [Treatment] Long term user, but still tired Bleached 2 546 02-14-2024, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 208 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Long time CPAP user, first time here. Any insight is appreciated! TwoFistedWonderBrain 7 604 02-06-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: TwoFistedWonderBrain
  Long time CPAP user still fatigued enigmatic 101 6,739 12-02-2023, 01:46 AM
Last Post: enigmatic
  50 second long central apnea esaulcatnas 6 670 09-04-2023, 05:06 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  After a long time I'm back. Had a night again with low 80% dip oxygen level MyronH 0 446 08-05-2023, 08:10 PM
Last Post: MyronH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.