Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel
Cool 
Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel
Hello! I would like to request your kind assistance!
I am traveling to Paris at the end of August and will be taking an overnight flight. I will need to use my CPAP Machine (Remstar Plus M Series by Respironics) on the plane however:

1) My insurance will not cover a batter back pack
2) I called the airline and there is no power source on the plane and they cannot guarantee there will be
3) Battery packs on their own are $600!!

Any suggestions on how I can use my machine on the plane? Someone suggested going to Radio Shack(??) however, I don't know what for and what I need.

Any assistance would be wonderful!
Many thanks,
Chrys Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using CPAP on a plane for Overnight Travel
Welcome

You should be able to get a battery supply for your machine for a lot less than $600. I just got an email today from Supplier #9. They are advertising a battery pack for about $260 that weighs about 2 lbs and should work with your machine. It holds a charge for about 2 nights of usage.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks BabyDoc -- you are right, I went to a supplier [commercial link removed per Apnea Board rules] and theirs is $249. I wonder if I should make the investment just for one overnight flight Thinking-about

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2012, 10:59 AM)Chrys23 Wrote: I wonder if I should make the investment just for one overnight flight Thinking-about

First off Welcome
Secondly, it is not really just for one night. Once you make that investment you are prepared for a short electrical outage, flight cancellations that force an overnight stay, etc. It really is a good investment! Just my opinion!
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi and thanks for the welcome MJ!!

True! I just wish the insurance would cover it!! LOL
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2012, 11:59 AM)Chrys23 Wrote: Hi and thanks for the welcome MJ!!

I hear ya, but to be fair they cover the normal and usual things. An overnight plane trip is viewed as neither normal or usual so we do what we have to do for our health! Welcome to poverty! Smile
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Chrys23,
First, Welcome! to the forum. A battery pack is a good investment just in case the power should go out, like mj said. Hope your trip goes well.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-28-2012, 12:04 PM)mjbearit Wrote:
(06-28-2012, 11:59 AM)Chrys23 Wrote: Hi and thanks for the welcome MJ!!

I hear ya, but to be fair they cover the normal and usual things. An overnight plane trip is viewed as neither normal or usual so we do what we have to do for our health! Welcome to poverty! Smile

When I fly with Air New Zealand to the states, they supply a seat with power socket just below the window, its usa type plug, so needed an adaptor

No issues at all
Happy sleeping
From Worthog in Brightwater (Mountain Creek)Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure the CPAP is approved for use by the airline your flying on. Also, make sure your reservation is updated to reflect your using an approved device. that way no issues with the flight crew.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ha. You'd still have issues. Remind the staff person at the gate. And then the stewardess. Messages do not always get passed along.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Cool Smallest travel CPAP setup w/ Transcend Micro kotaKat 4 1,680 03-25-2024, 04:52 PM
Last Post: johnbrain
  Any experiences with BMC M1 Mini travel Auto CP?AP DrJelly 4 675 03-15-2024, 01:18 PM
Last Post: DrJelly
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,747 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  Small travel bag for ResMed 11 + Laptop? NelsonM 9 2,294 02-08-2024, 10:28 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel CPAP Concerns cyleclayton 3 459 01-18-2024, 12:32 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Travel ASV morningstar 5 778 10-26-2023, 10:22 PM
Last Post: morningstar
  [Equipment] Alternatives to Vitacom and Contec for Overnight Oximeter Giantmushroom 2 514 10-22-2023, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Giantmushroom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.