Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using CPAP with an ear infection
Using CPAP with an ear infection
Friday I was diagnosed with an ear infection. That afternoon I came down with a bad case of chills, and ended up spending 14 hours in bed (without using CPAP). Last night I tried using it but within minutes, I was experiencing sharp pain in infected ear so I chucked the mask. Has anyone experienced this?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using CPAP with an ear infection
I hope you are getting treatment for the ear infection!!!

I have continued CPAP with ear infection, but it's tricky to make it comfy. These are how I coped
  • Blackseed Oil dropped in the ear canal (Olive Oil if you cant find the blackseed, but blackseed is an amazing anti-inflammatory)
  • Xlear (xylitol/saline) nasal spray, spray into nose straight back while leaning forward to clear eustacian tubes
  • antihistamine
  • See doc for antibiotic
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Daria, is your house a pharmacy?? Grin Big Grin

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dclaryjr,
I hope you get over your ear infection really soon.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, been there, but I have a variety of masks and picked one (Circadian) that worked for me. Sadly, I lost 30% of my hearing in that ear this spring, so defiantly see an ENT if the first dose of antibiotics don't work.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2016, 02:37 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Daria, is your house a pharmacy?? Grin Big Grin

From what she's posted she must have a pantry full of pharmaceuticals and home remedies. Bigwink

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the responses. Yes, my doctor prescribed some drops that that are a combination antibiotic with a steroid for the swelling. There's not too much pain at this point, but it's itchy as hell. I'll give it one more night and try again after using a nasal irrigator and the DV drug suggestions.
Post Reply Post Reply
Flonase is good for clearing the eustachian tubes as well. Daria's advice to lean forward at the waist and spray is spot on; really makes a difference. You can get it over the counter now.

Antihistamines are a stimulant, so remember that at bedtime. And don't combine them with cough syrup without reading the labels carefully; you could get a double dose of antihistamine that way.

And eat your vegetables!

Signed, your mother.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you swim?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 202 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  Sinus infection / recovering from surgery rpierce 0 351 08-24-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: rpierce
  Humidity and Sinus Infection Columbiabill 2 591 06-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
  CPAP Usage w/ SInus Infection sm315 3 727 08-10-2022, 05:32 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  Are Machines that use the Humidx system more likely to give you an infection? schaer 5 1,273 07-22-2021, 06:15 AM
Last Post: S. Manz
  Can sudden increase in AHI be linked to Coronavirus infection? Arik 8 1,307 10-03-2020, 02:25 AM
Last Post: Arik
  Ear Infection - okay to xPAP? Hydrangea 5 1,196 02-18-2019, 04:39 PM
Last Post: Sleep2Snore

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.