Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows
Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows
Hi all,

a quick question  to see if people using Nasal mask or nasal pillows find that using nasal strips are helpful to maximize nasal airflow?

Prior to starting on CPAP/APAP, when I thought I was "just a snorer", i used a Breathe Right strip every night.  I had no scientific data and did not do a sleep study with our without them, but my wife felt my snoring was a bit less using the nasal strips, so I just kept using them every night.

Now that I'm on therapy and happily using resmed P10 nasal pillows with good results overall,  I'm wondering if I need to keep bothering using the nasal strips.?  Theres no harm to continuing, but it is an extra daily cost to keep buying them.  curious how many people find them helpful to help maximize nasal airflow?

I will try to add a poll also, not sure how that works, but here are the options:

1) I do find nasal strips to be helpful along with therapy
2) I have found them to be of no help
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using Nasal Strips along with Nasal mask or pillows
I would think the p10 pillow mask would seal so go that it would expand the inside of your nose outward from air volume/ pressure making nose strips not needed at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used nasal strips before Cpap therapy and felt they were helpful at the time.

However, the direct air flow from the nasal pillow mask keeps the nasal passages open so I don't feel that the strips are necessary. At the same time, I don't see any harm in using them.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have used them intermittently with an N30i mask and Dreamwear nasal cushion mask. They have never interfered with my treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've started using them and they've helped a lot with the side effects of therapy.  Even with the small size nasal pillows, I was getting inflammation in and around my nose from the pressure of the inflated nasal pillows, which the nasal strips have gotten rid of.  They've also made it easier to get the pillows inside my nose and being able to breathe between the time I put on the mask and turn on the machine.  In addition, they've made my breathing a lot quieter with the nasal pillows in, which has improved my rest since the machine has the annoying effect of amplyfing the sound of your own breathing.
Post Reply Post Reply
That has been my experience as well.  The clear Equate brand are a lot cheaper and make it easier to fit the pillows into my nostrils.  They seem to be easier to remove than the tan ones.  I pick up a box whenever I get a generic bottle of Flonase.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been using a full face mask with a nasal pillow and still found the stips beneficial.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Do dedicated CPAP pillows actually help? Old Moondog 6 173 04-26-2024, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Old Moondog
  Adjusting to Nasal Pillow Mask DenKen31 9 1,046 04-12-2024, 09:57 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 24 11,274 04-08-2024, 03:00 PM
Last Post: cant exhale
  Pressure vs. Airflow Burst for Nasal Opening GoodSleepHunting 0 125 04-04-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 198 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,329 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,464 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.