Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using a CPAP mask as a Covid19 mask
Using a CPAP mask as a Covid19 mask
There is already a thread on whether you can convert an old CPAP mask to an N95 mask

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...22+covid19

I won't address that in this thread.

It took me a while to figure this out, but if you want a mask to protect you from infecting or being infected by others, those full face CPAP masks, that fully cover mouth+nose, might be better than a typical home-made or store-bought cloth masks, especially ones that don't exactly fit.

Think about it: it seals well enough to maintain the positive pressure that is the whole basis of CPAP.

In my case, I can direct the input tube downwards, and cover its main opening and holes with a piece of somewhat permeable cloth, held on by a rubber band.

Also, whereas everything else I can make or find seems to direct a moist air flow upwards, that fogs glasses, this won't.

However:

1. They look hard core. Someone might think you actually have the disease.
2. It wears out your mask, just like wearing it at night. So use an old one.
3. If you find your mask puts marks on your face, this will too. You could try loosening the straps a bit - you don't have to worry about a pillow pushing the mask off.
4. As with any mask, moist cloth and air can culture bacteria. (I don't know if it can culture the Covid19 virus.) So if you wear any mask too much, you may get sick - though maybe not with Covid19.

Anyone have any comments, concerns?

(Most of this has been cross-posted to another forum, whose name I won't mention in case that violates this forum's rules.)
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
RE: Using a CPAP mask as a Covid19 mask
For me it really comes down to the difficulty in breathing. The harder for air to pass through the more protection.

I have some respirator P-95 filters and can use them with a Mirage FX Quattro or F20.

I have also taken a generic 2 layer cloth mask and added another 8-10 layers, with and without a coffee filter, and can approximate the same or more difficulty in being able to breathe.

You can use swim goggles for your eyes. I found some DeWalt concealer safety goggles that have a rubber seal that won’t fog up as easily.

John
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using a CPAP mask as a Covid19 mask
(04-27-2020, 07:01 PM)70sSanO Wrote: You can use swim goggles for your eyes.  I found some DeWalt concealer safety goggles that have a rubber seal that won’t fog up as easily.

What a great idea! Though that would make it look even more hard core. I don't want to look like a space alien.

I saw someone the other day wearing a full-on gas mask! Now that has got to be overkill, and I bet moisture and bacteria do accumulate inside.

I wonder what it would really take to completely keep in or out something as small as a virus like the one that cause Covid19. One source says the virus particles are only about 70-90 nm in size - nothing I am prepared or to wear could completely stop that.

Nor have I been trained in how to take off masks, though one source says you should only touch the straps. I once took a first aid class where the instructor put something colored on the outside of the gloves, to simulate handling blood. I couldn't take off the gloves without getting it on my hands. I suppose medical personnel get training, but it must still be hard. Perhaps one should wash one's hands afterwards, or even take a shower.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My new PC and a great new mask SarcasticDave94 20 650 05-03-2020, 07:20 PM
Last Post: freddyfl209
  Covid19 test results greatunclebill 6 311 04-16-2020, 06:37 AM
Last Post: trapdoormoyles
  COVID19 - Don't catch it... Boroma 2 285 03-23-2020, 09:28 AM
Last Post: Respir8
  New Grim Reaper Mask dwd1249 7 665 01-27-2019, 10:41 AM
Last Post: DeepBreathing
  Eye Mask theMezz 8 853 10-01-2018, 08:02 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Extra mask supplies ? GrammaBear 4 928 07-27-2017, 03:51 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  New mask prototype from NASA PaulaO2 10 5,331 02-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Last Post: wasserware

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.