Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using a CPAP to diagnose OSA/UARS?
Using a CPAP to diagnose OSA/UARS?
I was wondering if I could use a CPAP (specifically Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset) to diagnose OSA/UARS by analyzing the data? I am assume pressure would have to be set as low as possible and then wearing it for a night or several?

I have access to a machine and I may get more data points if I could use the CPAP in this way (Currently have 1 WatchPAT One results).

I am unfamiliar with the machine so would just like to know if this makes sense and could work,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using a CPAP to diagnose OSA/UARS?
It is my opinion that the diagnosis of medical conditions should be left to medical professionals using appropriate diagnostic methodologies.

Whatever findings could be imputed to the PAP data, be they gaps in breathing or other unusual patterns such as periodic breathing, they are only a further indication to seek further medical evaluation.

Assuming you have downloaded OSCAR and have submitted snapshots of the data to the forum, it is not prudent to render a diagnosis in the absence of a proper medical history and the evaluation of other co-morbidities and effects of supplements and medications.

What you might see is an AHI indication over the threshold value of 5 at the machine's minimum pressure of 4 cm H2O -- after filtering out sleep/wake artifacts and looking at waveforms to determine true apneas and hypopneas. Then what? How's your oxygen saturation when asleep? Positional effects on Apneas? Damage caused by long-term OSA?

Then what?

If you are uneasy and suspect issues -- get checked out, if for nothing other than peace of mind.

Best,

Steve
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the reply. 

I have recently done a WatchPAT One test that was negative for OSA (AHI 4% of 1.6) but my RDI was 16.8. The company would not reevaluate using 3% and do not consider anything else other than OSA using AHI>5. 

I have been suffering for a while with most of the typical symptoms of OSA. The fatigue, brain fog etc are tough and I would really like my life back. I have had blood tests to rule out all other typical issues.

My thought process was that if the CPAP itself, or software like OSCAR, measures AHI/RDI then I could use it to get more data points because my high RDI from the sleep test, plus symptoms, indicate something is going on. I have previously been pretty fit and healthy (27 years old), with no other health conditions.  

I would just like to start trying to get better as soon as possible and if a CPAP may help me I would like to try and get a little bit more confirmation before attempting treatment with it. 

It is difficult to get medical professionals to listen when they use such arbitrary thresholds. I am awaiting a test with the NHS in the near future and maybe that will yield a diagnosis, however, I would really like to start getting better sooner if I can.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am unfamiliar with WatchPAT One, but according to the WatchPAT One people, WatchPAT One "is clinically validated with an 89% agreement rate with polysomnography results for accurate sleep apnea detection."

However, I see no harm in asking your doctor if you could try CPAP for a week, use OSCAR to produce a report, and have him take a second look.
I was taught you evaluate the whole patient, not just the machine results. I also found that sleep apnea was one area of medicine in which you had to be proactive.

You might also consider a relatively cheap recording pulse-oximeter to track your own pulse rate and oxygen saturation at night and as you go about your day. It might provide some insight.

Did your blood test include a thyroid study?

Anyway, since you have access to the machine, you might try it out and post the results -- along with your WatchPAT One results to the forum for comment, not a diagnosis. I would suggest you set it to auto with the pressure range of 4 - 20 cm H2O and then refine the pressures if you see anything suspicious. Since you are a new user, beware of large mask leaks (over 24 l/s) as they produce unreliable results.

Best,

Steve

Download OSCAR -- https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
Organize your OSCAR charts -- http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ganization
Attaching images and files to posts -- http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...pnea_Board
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,098 Today, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SingleH
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 5 339 04-04-2024, 08:10 AM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  CPAP Not Helping... Possible UARS?? TiredTim 0 157 04-02-2024, 05:24 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  Covid Induced CA (Potentially) + UARS, Looking for Help with ASV Settings zfaulk 25 2,240 04-02-2024, 02:25 PM
Last Post: subconscious
  Back to CPAP for UARS, help interpreting graphs dcg494 2 195 04-02-2024, 08:58 AM
Last Post: dcg494
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 309 03-27-2024, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  New BiPAP user with UARS(?) tk2234 23 831 03-24-2024, 08:11 PM
Last Post: tk2234

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.