Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using a UPS
Using a UPS
Good day fellow CPAP users,

I had a quick question: have any of you had any success using a UPS (Uninterruptible power supply) in conjunction with your CPAP machine. Over the last couple of years, I have noticed (especially in the summer) sporadic power outages; some are minutes, others are hours. For those using a UPS is there a particular brand and model number? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using a UPS
Yes they work. But not for long, especially with the humidifier on. There are threads that go into this in great detail if you search...

The UPS will save you from outages though.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you plug it into the right slots, UPS make good surge protectors also. Had a UPS stop a surge from a near by lightning strike at work. The high dollar surge unit plugged into the other outlet fried itself and took the electronics that were plugged into it with it. Nothing happened to the units plugged into the UPS.

Homer
Post Reply Post Reply
How about the ResMed dedicated BBU? Anyone use it? Claims to be able to run for 13 hours with the humidifier, but compared to a large UPS it is tiny. Something in the laws of Physics don't make sense here....

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-09-2015, 03:28 PM)Homerec130 Wrote: If you plug it into the right slots, UPS make good surge protectors also. Had a UPS stop a surge from a near by lightning strike at work. The high dollar surge unit plugged into the other outlet fried itself and took the electronics that were plugged into it with it. Nothing happened to the units plugged into the UPS.

Homer

Most consumer grade UPS's these days are "standby" mode units and just connect the input to the output when the power is on. The UPS part of the unit provides no protection. Most consumer grade UPS's have a surge protector built into the box, but I suspect it's no better than separate surge protectors.

An online/double conversion UPS does give you a certain degree of extra protection, but they're more expensive.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I understand it, a UPS would get you through short outages, but wouldn't power a CPAP through the night. There are rechargeable battery setups people have done with marine batteries, and there are also rechargeable battery products sold specifically for CPAP -- some of which can be used to automatically kick in when an outage is imminent.

Different CPAP machines have different power requirements -- so make sure whatever you do is appropriate for your equipment.

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-08-2015, 07:28 PM)gumbloid Wrote: Good day fellow CPAP users,

I had a quick question: have any of you had any success using a UPS (Uninterruptible power supply) in conjunction with your CPAP machine. Over the last couple of years, I have noticed (especially in the summer) sporadic power outages; some are minutes, others are hours. For those using a UPS is there a particular brand and model number? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a number of UPS systems at home for a lot of electronic equipment.

Never thought of getting one for my new CPAP (just 5 days old).

APC has one model, their Power Saving Back-UPS Pro 1500 with an output of 865watts/1500va. Their Battery Run Times are 2hrs at 50w and 1 hr at 100 watts. My Resmed Airsense 10 Elite uses 53w at typical power consumption with up to 104W at peak power use.

The APC 1500 can use an external battery pack that will triple those runtimes.

Even without the extra battery pack, I would have enough run time to recognize the power outage and get on backup generators.

OH.. The BR1500G has AVR so it regulates your AC to the device to prevent spikes or brownouts from hurting equipment attached thereto.

Hope That Was Helpful
My First Post
Dennis

PS. Just ordered that BR1500G from WallMart (store pickup)
Post Reply Post Reply
Glad I searched "UPS AVR" here before I bought a UPS for my CPAP machine and read about your opinions on it. I got a current model Prolink 650VA/325W UPS solely serving my Resmed Airsense 10. I want to manually shutdown my CPAP machine during a power outage and I just need a few minutes of back up power.

I don't know about the power situation in your countries. But here in the Philippines most voltage disturbances occur during the monsoon and typhoon season in the second half of the year. I thought the price of a UPS protection (with surge and AVR features) is peanuts compared to the price of a Resmed Airsense 10.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have read a number of threads about this topic here and elsewhere on the www, and generally people become convinced, after reading, figuring, or trying for themselves, that the UPS solution is going to end up costing about as much as a dedicated CPAP style standby battery, the Li ion variety.  This is because if one wants the garden variety UPS costing about EU100-ish, or about USD$130-ish, plus the cords/adapters, you'll need backups to THEM...or added potential by daisy chaining at least two of them to get the heavier users through the night.  One night.

This is not to say almost no UPS will suffice...some of the more costly ones will, but can you put them in your carry-on?
Post Reply Post Reply
Another DIY design for your consideration is in this Wiki http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Solutions
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.