Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using an Old CPAP Machine
Using an Old CPAP Machine
Hi Everyone,

Quick summary and then onto the question.  I was on CPAP/BiPAP for a couple of years last time using it was 8 years ago. 

Moved onto an Oral Appliance that worked 'good enough' for the past 8 years.  Not working so good anymore so I am going to go back to the PAP. 

When I was on CPAP the best sleep study results I got were around 10 AHI.  The Oral Appliance I also was around 10.  I did 1 sleep study with the oral appliance and CPAP together and I was at 1.4.

I did my at home titration last week and I just got a call from the doctor that I 'failed' the test and need to come in for a overnight sleep study titration.  I could not get any details as to what I failed for just that I need to come in to do an overnight.

My question.  I did feel better the couple of nights I used the auto pap that the sleep doc gave me for my at home titration.  I have my sleep study set for next week and then I will be out of town for 3 weeks so I will not have a chance to get a new machine for minimum a month. 

I do have my old BiPAP machine, last time used ~8 years ago.  The machine is a Philips Respironics System One BiPAP 750 Auto. 

Would anyone here recommend firing it back up again and using it?  Or just suck it up and wait the month.

If anyone recommends using it, what kind of settings should I put it on?  Also, how to I set the machine?  What kind of cleaning, seals checking would need to be done? 

My thoughts are to start it out at a pretty low setting, if nothing else I could just get used to wearing the mask again (oh I have a brand new unopened mask to use also).  Maybe it won't be as effective as I would like but it would have to help and can't hurt, right?

Any help is appreciated.  Thank you,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using an Old CPAP Machine
Hi dolppl !  -  Welcome

I would recommend that you download OSCAR and make sure that your 750 has an SD card in it.  Gathering your sleep data and analyzing it with OSCAR will provide a definitive path as to proper adjustment for your best therapy.   You may download OSCAR either by clicking on its name, here in the post, or the link at the top of the web page.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for your help.

I downloaded OSCAR.  That is great.  I can't believe how much information it was able to get from my machine from 2011.  

So the last time i used the machine was in conjunction with the Oral Appliance and the setting was at 7 IPAP and 7EPAP basically used as a CPAP.  This was confirmed from my last sleep study with CPAP and the Oral Appliance had me go from 4-6-7 and they recommended a pressure setting of 7.

What setting should i go with for my first night?  

Also, is there anything i should do with this old machine?  I cleaned everything i could see to clean. Filter looked brand new, the 2 seals for the humidifier were in good shape.

Thank you,
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd try

EPAP=4
IPAP=7
PS=3

If the machine is an Auto, I'd set IPAP Max at 14 just to give some room to move

Post the results here after 1 night.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only options it gives me is.

Max IPAP:
Min EPAP:
Max PS: (3.0, 3.5, or 4.0)
Post Reply Post Reply
then

Max IPAP: =14
Min EPAP: =4
Max PS: =3.0

It is likely that the machine is stopping you from setting higher PS values because of the setting of Max IPAP
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone.

Sorry for being a new guy but is there any concern about a pressure that high? (14)  I get worried about centrals which showed up from time to time on all of my sleep studies or will it not go that high if i am not having any issue?

And also the fact that i 'failed' my at home titration.  Any idea what could constitute a failure?  Not using it enough?

I don't (obviously) want to make things worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
Failed can mean you need to be treated
Think of the first night as a titration study, and expect adjustments after 1 night.
High pressure, Ever get a large drink at McDonald's? OK, now blow bubbles through the straw, any issues with the pressure? That is equivalent to the maximum pressure the machine can produce, well over 14.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:And also the fact that i 'failed' my at home titration. Any idea what could constitute a failure? Not using it enough?

Or the doc needs to make a payment on his alimony.

Pardon my cynicism, but in-lab titrations for ordinary sleep apnea are somewhat pointless. Using an auto machine such as you have, with a tool like Oscar, allows you to optimise your therapy in the comfort of your own home, not in an alien hospital environment. Just consider - you're in a strange bed, in a strange room, with all manner of probes and electrodes attached to your body, plus a mask on your face with some person remotely fiddling with the pressure... now just sleep normally. They will start at a low pressure and every few minutes bump it higher to see if they can find one where your apnea is at a minimum. Hold that for 5 minutes - all good? Here is your prescription Sir. That will be $2000 please.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Pardon my cynicism, but in-lab titrations for ordinary sleep apnea are somewhat pointless

I guess that is part of my concern, are they scheduling me for an in-lab titration because my sleep apnea was not 'normal' per the at home titration?
Sorry for being so difficult but I know the lack of quality sleep is causing my anxiety to go through the roof.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 82 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 296 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 619 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 197 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,720 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 364 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,284 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.