Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using an Old CPAP Machine
RE: Using an Old CPAP Machine
Quote:Sorry for being so difficult but I know the lack of quality sleep is causing my anxiety to go through the roof.

That's a perfectly normal reaction. The doc has to explain in terms you'll understand exactly what the problem is that requires additional testing. And he needs to explain why at-home titration on an auto machine isn't good enough. I have heard (from some bloke on the internet, so it must be true Wink ) that some of the big insurers are no longer funding titration studies for "normal" apnea as autoset machines can do the job better and cheaper if properly monitored.
Post Reply Post Reply
With OSCAR we look at more data, and more detailed data than your medical team does.  The data they look at is of a lesser resolution.  
Collectively we offer checks and balances and honestly are among the best at figuring out what is going on with your apnea.  The tool we use to do this is OSCAR.  Where we go with anyone is where you/they are comfortable with, anything from talking points with your doctor to recommendations on which settings to change, even recommending a machine change.

The key to helping anyone is data, unless you prefer a guess.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I had my overnight titration done last night.  Actually was able to get about 5.5 hours of sleep. 

When I woke up and still right now I have a terrible sinus headache.  I felt fine before the sleep study.

They used a humidifier and when I did the at home titration I did not use a humidifier (the machine did not have one) and I felt fine.

I assume when I get the machine I should start without a humidifier and add humidity if I wake up dried out?

Any recommendations on how to get rid of this sinus headache?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have been on CPAP for 25 years. My first machine was like a vacuum cleaner. I absolutely hated over-night sleep studies. Always could not fall asleep knowing I was being watched. I would feel like death the next day. I have self-titrated over the years and settled on 9.6 CM H2O. If I have tried another pressure, even 1 cm change, I know it and go back. I also run the EPR at 1.0. That is a remarkable feature. I have also had to experiment over the years with mouth blowout and have settled on using Chinup strips and a chin strap. Both are essential to prevent me from opening my mouth. I also don't lay on my back if I can manage it. I have finally reached the point where I dream a lot, and the sleep report always shows very few events. I also have a hard time waking up in the morning. I would recommend testing by changing the pressure 0.2 cm each night and seeing how you feel (or whatever increments your machine allows). Since it is easy to hack into the machine, you don't need to have the provider reset your pressure or the EPR setting.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 90 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 309 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 629 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 199 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,742 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix
  New to CPAP- Need advice on purchasing a machine JuanSiesta 4 368 02-14-2024, 09:31 PM
Last Post: JuanSiesta
  [CPAP] Newby not sure if CPAP is the right machine for me tcinoz 24 1,293 02-13-2024, 08:13 PM
Last Post: tcinoz

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.