Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using mask during asthma flare
Using mask during asthma flare
I am having a flare up of my asthma, and the mask makes me feel like I"m absolutely unable to breathe.  I'm stuffy in the nose, too, as it's an allergy-driven thing.  Is this common?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using mask during asthma flare
They normally use bipap on asthma, try and set your machine up with as much pressure relief/flex as you can get. as you know the problem is breathing out. you could also increase the pressure to see if that helps, I would use any changes for an hour or so while awake, to make sure it's right before using it for sleep.
I would aim for 4cm as your max relief and the cpap setting on your current 7 or try 8 or 9 with max flex, you could use sleepyhead to check on the pressures and tidal volumes,

I would ask your Dr if it's worth changing over to bipap/bilevel for these events.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using mask during asthma flare
I have at times restricted breathing. When not using cpap I close my lips to exhale. The increase in pressure opens the airway a little. Cpap does this also. A slight increase in your settings while having problems may be helpful.

Just like driving a car speed changes on driving conditions.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Asthma & CPAP MARrshh 4 917 07-09-2023, 04:22 PM
Last Post: Apnea23
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,531 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Resmed P30i pillow mask user unable to get beyond 1.5 hr on mask Roy289 28 3,219 09-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Advice for f and p vitera mask leaks full face mask accetableplaintain 2 3,758 03-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Apnea mystery: Cycles of normal, healthy sleep and apnea 'flare-up' periods lazysunday 9 1,585 12-17-2021, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Zackio
  [split] CPAP triggering asthma/wheezing? ShhhImSleeping 3 1,348 05-31-2020, 12:51 PM
Last Post: Hydrangea
  Asthma and CPAP Qs from newbie SleepyEdmonton 6 1,426 02-24-2020, 10:59 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.