Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10.2
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Using microwave to sterilize nasal pillow
I am inquiring to find out if anyone has tried using a microwavable baby bottle/nipple sterilizer to sterilize their nasal pillows. After many years of being a grand-daddy daycare raising my grandchildren, I've always used the microwave sterilizer. The nasal pillows seems to be made of the same material (silicon) as the baby nipples. If it works for the nipples, I don't see why it wouldn't work for the nasal pillows. Has anyone discussed this on the AP Board forum before? Lacking the sterilizer, when on travel and to sterilize a baby bottle and nipple, I just use a plastic container (one you get at restaurant and food establishments) with a lid and fill it with about half-inch of water and drop the items in it and microwave on high for four minutes. The lid to the container is just place **loosely** on the container. Four minutes in the microwave kills all microbes, bacteria and viruses. I use this method for all of my sponges used for dish washing and baths. Being new to the Apnea treatment regime, I am looking for easier ways to sanitize the plastic/rubber/silicon parts to the CPAP, of course not the machines themselves.
11-15-2014 09:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
big_dave Online

Advisory Members

Machine: PR System One DS560
Mask Make & Model: F&P Pilairo Q or ResMed Mirage Activa
Humidifier: PR System One
CPAP Pressure: 14 - 20

Other Comments: Former ResMed S8 Autoset II user

RE: Using microwave to sterilize nasal pillow
Welcome

I was not aware of that product so I had to Google it, but it looks perfect. I've found that boiling with baking soda helps remove skin oils and eliminate leaks. I only boil the water and then add the mask cushion after taking it out of the microwave, so my method wouldn't sterilize it. (I didn't think of boiling it for that reason but it makes sense.) I've seen reports of other people heating it up on the stove or in the oven but it works the same way for them.

Just try it when you're ready to throw out your old pillows and you have nothing to lose.

Edit: There is a limit on how many times you can boil them so I wouldn't do it every day. I'm not sure how many times is OK. (half dozen?)
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2014 12:28 PM by big_dave.)
11-15-2014 11:58 AM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

Oh boy - am I way out at the other end. After all these years, my mask is lucky to get paper towel and Windex once a month.

Of course - more often, and (LOL) a better method than I use would be 'cleaner'.

I can say that most all DMEs say a mild soapy water wash *only*, and to do it daily. Like 'Dawn' or 'Joy', and *NOT* to use anti-bacterial soap as it will break down the mask.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
11-15-2014 01:36 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
PaulaO2 Offline
Wiki Editor
Moderators

Machine: S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 14-20

Other Comments: Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, Hypermobility Type; chronic sarcasm

Sex: Undisclosed

There's no reason to "sanitize" it. The only germs you are getting are your own. Simple soap and water are all you need.

The silicone for nasal pillows are no where near as sturdy as for bottle nipples. They used to be but not any more. If you wanted to do the sanitizing route, I would bet they would last longer with boiling with baking soda than in the microwave. Even then, probably could only do it a few times before they started falling apart. Some folks do it to give life back to the silicone every few months or so.

And if your pillows have gel in them like the Nuance? They'd probably not survive even once. In the microwave, they'd probably pop.

Oh, I see a new experiment coming on. How long would it take to pop a pillow in the nuker? Next time I am really bored, I just may try that.

PaulaO2
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Breathe deeply and count to zen.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
11-15-2014 04:11 PM
archangle Offline
Wiki Editor
Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Swift FX
Humidifier: ResMed S9 H5i
CPAP Pressure: 16-20
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead EncoreBasic

Other Comments: Happy PAPper

Always have a spare before doing any such experiments, but most of the stuff can take an occasional dip into boiling water. I'll boil a big pot of water on the stove, turn off the heat and drop things in.

I've damaged the new style ResMed S9 non-dishwashable tanks. Some hoses may be damaged as well. I'd never boil foam parts or "foamy" headgear.

Control III disinfectant is recommended for CPAP parts by Supplier #1. Read the directions. The diluted solution you use is reasonably safe, but the undiluted concentrate from the bottle is nasty.

Remember that neither boiling nor Control III kills all germs.

I agree that anything more than "normal" cleaning is unnecessary unless you have a used piece of equipment or it's got dirty in some other way. Also, boiling it too often might be a problem.

BTW, be careful if you boil water in the microwave. Sometimes, the water will boil suddenly like opening a champagne bottle if you drop something into it. Turn the water off and let it sit for a while before dropping anything into microwave boiled water.

I clean my stuff in the dishwasher once a week or so. I also have two sets of masks, hoses and tanks. Once I clean a set, I set the clean ones aside for a week to dry out and let the germs die and use last week's set. I get pretty good lifetimes out of my stuff.

Get the free SleepyHead software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2014 04:33 PM by archangle.)
11-15-2014 04:30 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
trish6hundred Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet for Her
Mask Make & Model: Fisher & Paykel Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 - 7-20 Cm H2O
CPAP Software: Not using software

Other Comments: I started CPAP in 2008. Totally blind since birth.

Sex: Female

Hi pmyokhin,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would think the pillows would be too delicate to put into the microwave.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.

trish6hundred
11-15-2014 04:32 PM
PaytonA Offline
Wiki Editor
Monitors

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: Resmed Mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i(distilled-top up)
CPAP Pressure: VAuto MinE14.0 MaxI 20.6 PS4.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(11-15-2014 04:30 PM)archangle Wrote:  BTW, be careful if you boil water in the microwave. Sometimes, the water will boil suddenly like opening a champagne bottle if you drop something into it. Turn the water off and let it sit for a while before dropping anything into microwave boiled water.

Actually the same thing can happen from boiling water normally although once it is actually boiling it will not occur. It would have to be just before it was ready to start boiling that one might cause an eruption.
11-15-2014 05:19 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
surferdude2 Online

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 AutoSet
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro & Optilife
Humidifier: ResMed H5i @ #3 if nose breathing & #5 if mouth breathing
CPAP Pressure: 12 ~ 20 & 11 ~12 if nasal mask
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Late stage 2 emphysema

That is especially dangerous when stirring soup immediately after nuking it. Well, maybe not especially dangerous but more like especially messy. BTDT, got the mess to prove it.
(This post was last modified: 11-15-2014 05:23 PM by surferdude2.)
11-15-2014 05:23 PM
pmyokhin Offline

Members

Machine: ResMed S9
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10.2

Other Comments:

Thanks all for your inputs. Points well made! And yes, I do let the water sit for at least two minutes before pulling it out of the microwave (also recommended on the microwave sanitizers) or always include a plastic spoon in the cup/mug of water when nuking to boil water so it doesn't explode. It is good to know that I have all you have compatriots in this journey of Apnea treatment.
11-15-2014 07:21 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
TyroneShoes Offline

Preferred Members-2

Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: AirFit P10
Humidifier: Resmed H5i
CPAP Pressure: 10-14

Other Comments:

Yeah, I think the parallel between sanitizing bottle nips and your NPs is not that strong, and probably not recommended.

First, microwaves sterilize nothing. Microwaves in an oven vibrate water molecules causing friction that creates heat, and the heat is the only thing doing any sterilization. So at a minimum, don't try this without water in the equation.

Hot water, a little baby shampoo maybe, that is all you need. You don't need to boil the NPs in your microwave, and you probably are shortening the life of the delicate plastic by doing that.

Bottom line, its overkill.
11-17-2014 08:59 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Nasal pillow life unofon 5 354 11-26-2016 03:27 PM
Last Post: unofon
  respironics pillow covers? metropical 3 233 11-08-2016 11:02 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Nasal pillow Vs full face unofon 4 482 10-27-2016 09:12 AM
Last Post: unofon
  [Equipment] Modding Resmed FX pillow mask, no turbo air flow DaveDog 9 342 10-23-2016 08:09 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Any tips for fitting a ResMed P10 nasal pillow mask? Spy Car 40 2,136 10-15-2016 06:11 AM
Last Post: rwelliot
  Anyone Glue The Pilairo Mask Pillow On? player 7 1,147 10-12-2016 11:00 AM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  Help with nasal pillow and nose pain jane bradley 4 530 09-18-2016 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider