Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using more water in my humidifier
Using more water in my humidifier
Not sure as to why, but the last few weeks, my humidifier has been almost dry / dry in the morning. I fill it up to the MAX line, and in the morning, I have to use white vinegar to get rid of the mineral deposits left in it. 

It's now been over 10 months since having started SA therapy. This hasn't been a big issue in the past. I could count on a couple of fingers the amount of times the water reservoir went dry. Now, it's happening quite often. 

Nothing has changed in regards to how long I'm sleeping, and I haven't messed any with the humidifier settings. I have the Climate Control on auto. My heated hose is turned off. Since I don't have any rainout issues, it's always off. 

The only thing that I can think of, is the humidity level is low where we live, right at about 12%. I've seen others post about the same issue and asking about reservoirs with more capacity. 

Anyone have any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas?  Dont-know
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using more water in my humidifier
as you suspect: lower summer ambient humidity = higher usage. insufficient chamber capacity for your environment? try a manually set lower humidification setting to make it last the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2019, 11:47 AM)sheepless Wrote: as you suspect: lower summer ambient humidity =  higher usage. insufficient chamber capacity for your environment?  try a manually set lower humidification setting to make it last the night.

I was thinking along those lines and will do just that.  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
This is most likely, that humidity levels have lessened and the water surface lets more molecules up into the air passing over it.  Or, it could be a small leak, but you'd think you'd spot staining near the machine.

If you can sleep comfortably with lower settings, that may help.

I think it's a fairly substantial change, though, and wonder if something else isn't afoot.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2019, 12:56 PM)mesenteria Wrote: This is most likely, that humidity levels have lessened and the water surface lets more molecules up into the air passing over it.  Or, it could be a small leak, but you'd think you'd spot staining near the machine.

If you can sleep comfortably with lower settings, that may help.

I think it's a fairly substantial change, though, and wonder if something else isn't afoot.

I can say for sure, nothing is leaking. It can get quite dry here in AZ. Humidity level is for the most part, usually very low. 

But, our monsoon season is due at any time. We can and do get very heavy rain storms. I dropped my humidity level down to a 2 on my machine. I'll see if that happens to help any.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2019, 12:56 PM)mesenteria Wrote: This is most likely, that humidity levels have lessened and the water surface lets more molecules up into the air passing over it. 

Certainly. The CPAP machine will actually measure the ambient humidity and adjust the temperature of the water in the reservoir accordingly. So when the ambient humidity falls, the water is heated more, so more of it will evaporate.

The solution, as has already been stated in this thread, is to turn down the heat.

Another solution would be to humidify the bedroom. One of those cheapies they sell at Walgreens would do the trick. The problem, though, is that if your water is hard enough to leave mineral deposits in the chamber, it is probably too hard to use in a vaporizer.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2019, 03:41 PM)Sleepster Wrote:
(06-24-2019, 12:56 PM)mesenteria Wrote: This is most likely, that humidity levels have lessened and the water surface lets more molecules up into the air passing over it. 

Certainly. The CPAP machine will actually measure the ambient humidity and adjust the temperature of the water in the reservoir accordingly. So when the ambient humidity falls, the water is heated more, so more of it will evaporate.

The solution, as has already been stated in this thread, is to turn down the heat.

Another solution would be to humidify the bedroom. One of those cheapies they sell at Walgreens would do the trick. The problem, though, is that if your water is hard enough to leave mineral deposits in the chamber, it is probably too hard to use in a vaporizer.

Not a big fan of humidity. Wasn't sure how I would respond to a humidifier in a CPAP machine. I was surprised that I've done as well as I have. 

Our water here is on the hard side of the spectrum. I think for the time being though, I will decrease the humidity level as needed in my machine and see how that goes.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-24-2019, 04:41 PM)Big Guy Wrote: Our water here is on the hard side of the spectrum. I think for the time being though, I will decrease the humidity level as needed in my machine and see how that goes.

Sure is hard. I use water from our reverse osmosis system in the kitchen, and it works fine and does not leave any deposits in the machine.

12% humidity?  That's almost high for Arizona!  We're at 6% right now here in Tucson.   Laugh-a-lot
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah at least it’s a dry heat they say. At 6-12% humidity I’m wondering if I’d turn into human beef jerky or something...

Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 34 Yesterday, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,737 Yesterday, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  CPAP toppled over/water issue Visitor 7 7,318 03-17-2024, 10:39 PM
Last Post: Willow85
  One-Piece Water Chamber Cleaning Davebr60 0 151 02-26-2024, 11:12 PM
Last Post: Davebr60
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 700 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Dry mouth despite humidifier and full face mask Tactful3149 2 417 02-13-2024, 03:25 PM
Last Post: Tactful3149
  AirSense 10 heating & humidifier issue Wingnut Warrior 2 331 02-08-2024, 11:13 PM
Last Post: Wingnut Warrior

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.