Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using nasal pillows with auto cpap?
Using nasal pillows with auto cpap?
I read someplace that one should not use nasal pillows with an auto cpap, APAP. Is this so and if so I wonder why.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using nasal pillows with auto cpap?
(09-04-2016, 04:46 PM)Lanco Wrote: I read someplace that one should not use nasal pillows with an auto cpap, APAP. Is this so and if so I wonder why.

Hi Lanco,

You didn't read that here Smile

The effectiveness and comfort of my therapy improved when I moved from FFM to nasal pillows. I would not consider going back.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
That is poor advice! IF you are in CPAP mode AND the pressure is higher, you MAY have issues with leaks. BUT, if you are in APAP mode, you less likely will have issues. That 15.5 MAY cause leakage issues. I'm not familiar with your machine, are you in APAP or CPAP mode.

I can show you differences in readings between the 2 with a nasal pillow. I had to switch to APAP to reduce my issues, but my sleep is wonderful.

Any other issues you fighting? Or any at all and just curious?
Post Reply Post Reply
I read this on a suppliers website. I believe it was [link removed] Supplier #1 or on a similar well known suppliers website.

I'm just curious. It just seems to me things stuck into your nostrils would seem kind of unnatural and uncomfortable?

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
I think 'natural' is in the rear view mirror with about any mask you might wear Smile

I guess it's a personal preference but I love 'em.

They don't really stick into your nose, just cover the nostrils. Very soft supple silicone "pillows" as they call them. Very light tension strap holds them in place.

Much lighter weight apparatus than the FFMs I was using before them.

In my case lower air pressure, less leaks, AHI is now routinely below 1.0.

I can move around, and sleep more comfortably in about any position I want.

Don't wake up to adjust for mask leaks like I used to do with FFM.

I'm a believer. They said "you will be assimilated". I was.

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
My Nuance can handle my pressures of up to 20 just fine. If a supplier is saying that, well, just further proof they are nuts.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-04-2016, 07:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: My Nuance can handle my pressures of up to 20 just fine. If a supplier is saying that, well, just further proof they are nuts.

lol

Post Reply Post Reply
That was nonsense that you read. MANY people use nasal pillows with apap and even bipap. A lot of people purportedly have problems with nasal pillows at high pressures, but there is a good sized contingent of bipap users with pressures over 20 that use pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unlike the supplier, we don't have a dog in the fight. All we are "selling" is advice on how to get great therapy, and a healthy nights sleep!!! Most of us are just speaking with experience, not medical training.

I came here a lonely lost soul, and had my problem solved, and I thought my therapy was great for 7 years before I came here. And it was great, but now I'm on cruise control because of what I learned here.

Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
It seemed like when I first got started with CPAP therapy, it was thought that pillows wouldn't work with higher pressures.
It's good that they can be used with higher pressures though, because it allows us to have more choices of masks.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 322 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 391 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 398 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 934 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Question [Pressure] Returning Auto CPAP user, help interpreting my OSCAR data and pressure settings cpappadoppoulos 3 404 01-25-2024, 09:17 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.