Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Diagnosis] Popping Noise
Popping Noise
I have a Dream Station DSX500H11 and have had it since October 2016. When I first got the machine I would set the Humidifier to 5. The temperature inside the house was 78 F and the Humidity was 25%. Now in January I keep the house at 72 F and the Humidity is 53% inside and have the Humidifier set to 2. About 3-4 hours of using the machine the mask or tubing starts making a popping noise. I go out to the garage, blow the tubing and mask out with air then go back to sleep with the mask and tubing attached. I measure out 8 oz of distilled water and put it in the machine every night. The pressure ramps up to about 7.2cm on the machine. The tubing size is 15 and not heated. Also the machine seems to be loud and sounds like a hair dryer set on low.
Clark,
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Popping Noise
The noise is most likely moisture accumulation in the hose. It will help you to use a hose cover to prevent condensation, ensure the machine is lower than the hose, or at least loop the hose upward using a hose support. A heated hose is not an expensive addition, and you can request your doctor include that in your Rx in order to get it covered by insurance. Your story of needing to get up and blow out the hose would be plenty of reason to prescribe a heated hose. The fleece covers are also very effective and make the hose a lot more comfortable. If this continues to happen, you should turn down the humidity setting.

When adding water to the machine, you should remove the humidifier chamber and just use the marks for filling. If you are somehow filling the humidifier with the chamber in the machine, it would be easy to over-fill.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the advice. Tonight I will put the APAP machine on the lower level of the night stand, instead of the top level where it is now. I looked on a CPAP website and the price for a heated hose is $38 for that model. When I order supplies from the Respiratory Therapist they double the price. I haven't met my deductible this year on the insurance. The price for the machine to the insurance company was $1,800. (The unit retails for $450 online.) I am paying $40 a month for the next 10 months for the machine. My unit has a cellular card that sends data to the Therapist everyday is the only difference then purchasing it online.

Because the machine is so loud I am thinking of building a sound box for it. I sound like Darth Vader with the mask on so not sure if that will help with the sound. I tried a nasal mask and that didn't help with the sound. The only way I am going to find out is build a sound box for it and put an air filter in the sound box. (I have built a sound box for a dot matrix printer before so it needs to be well ventilated as well.)
Clark
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is what I do...The machine is inside a 2-drawer nightstand with a 2-inch hole through the rear for the hose and power. This allows the drawer to be closed so there is no noise, and no machine sitting in the open in my bedroom.

I feel for you on the insurance issues. Many people have even worse deductibles, and just choose to self-finance. I did until our insurance improved about 2 years ago. The heated hose is a single expense, and will make your life easier and more comfortable. A fleece hose cover (see Supplier #1 ) is about $12. It makes the hose quiet, soft and comfortable. I often find my face pressed on the hose, and it is soft and comfortable with the cover. I wouldn't like it without that. So for under $50, you end up with comfort you can live with for 8-hours a night. That to me is a big return on investment. Here is how it works...enclosed CPAP, hose elevated on headboard and covered with fleece cover.

[Image: EF17842A-98BD-4EE5-9398-4742D51CFD9D.jpg]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would ask my DME to replace the machine. Mine is quite.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi clark77494,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,255 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 86 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 141 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,602 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 593 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Equipment] Airsense 10 Noise tblaster 4 344 01-15-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: tblaster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.