Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Using old SD in new machine: Oscar stalls
Using old SD in new machine: Oscar stalls
It was awhile until I had a replacement for my recalled DreamStation. I moved the SD card from the old machine before filing it up last night. I could see that the data has been successfully read by OSCAR. I was puzzled by OSAQCR ver. 1.2.0 highlighting my profile but not proceeding to the Views. OSCAR ver. 1.3.0 won't even reach that point: it immediately pops up an error message (code 5) complaining about its inability to write to the OSCAR_Data directory, though I can see it in Windows Explorer filled with data under Documents > OSCAR_Data>Profiles  (a screenshot attached). 

What is the best way to untangle this gridlock?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Using old SD in new machine: Oscar stalls
Did you reformat the SD card prior to use in the new machine? If not, that is your problem.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No, that's only a Resmed problem. You don't need to reformat PRS1 cards.

This is a Windows problem with accessing OSCAR_Data.
Post Reply Post Reply
What OSCAR does at startup is test to see if it can write to your data directory. It does this by trying to open a file named "testfile.txt" for read/write access in the OSCAR_Data directory. If OSCAR is unable to do that, it shows the message about being unable to write to the OSCAR data directory and terminates.

The usual cause is some kind of permissions problem. One difference between OSCAR 1.3.0 and 1.2.0 is that it checks for such problems instead of just not working.

Is this the same machine you ran OSCAR on successfully before? And with the same Windows user name as you used before? Mixed Windows account ownership will cause problems.

Look in the OSCAR_Data directory. Is there a file named testfile.txt there? Can you delete it? If not there, can you create a file of that (or any other) name and copy data to it?
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-19-2021, 07:17 PM)GuyScharf Wrote: What OSCAR does at startup is test to see if it can write to your data directory. It does this by trying to open a file named "testfile.txt" for read/write access in the OSCAR_Data directory. If OSCAR is unable to do that, it shows the message about being unable to write to the OSCAR data directory and terminates.

The usual cause is some kind of permissions problem.  One difference between OSCAR 1.3.0 and 1.2.0 is that it checks for such problems instead of just not working.

Is this the same machine you ran OSCAR on successfully before?  And with the same Windows user name as you used before?  Mixed Windows account ownership will cause problems.

Look in the OSCAR_Data directory. Is there a file named testfile.txt there? Can you delete it? If not there, can you create a file of that (or any other) name and copy data to i
The same machine and Windows account; just a new BiPAP device... 
Even with Oscar not running, I could not reliably switch the files underneath OSCAR_Data to being not read-only, like if some live process was immediately switching them back.
I am OK with clearing the entire history. I am wondering if I have a better chance by just deleting the OSCAR_Data forlder tree or by just reformatting the SD (I can backup it as well). If doing both is my only way to deal with it, I'll erase both.
Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
I can see that Windows Security blocks OSCAR from writing into the OSCAR_Data directory (located under Documents). That is causes OSCAR to exit with Error code 5.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-01-2022, 04:47 PM)apnero Wrote: I can see that Windows Security blocks OSCAR from writing into the OSCAR_Data directory (located under Documents). That is causes OSCAR to exit with Error code 5.

Yes, that is exactly what will happen if Windows Security is blocking access. Check your security properties for OSCAR_Data and make sure that Authenticated Users have Full Control. If your username is listed, make sure it has Full Control. If that does not do it, try setting Users to have Full Control.

Or, if it is Windows Defender or other anti-virus program blocking access, add OSCAR to the list of exceptions.
Useful links
Download OSCAR (current version is 1.5.1)
Best way to organize charts
How to attach charts to your post

Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Oscar and SD cards for machine/user swap ahuman 3 113 03-15-2024, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Feedback and Help on OSCAR Data, I am a new user of a CPAP machine and feel tired! fdm1990 3 535 11-29-2023, 01:39 AM
Last Post: fdm1990
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,131 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Keep waking up while using CPAP machine, oscar data attached. bigmit2011 5 1,146 03-29-2023, 12:02 PM
Last Post: RNeil
  Help with OSCAR data and machine settings bethose 1 422 03-12-2023, 08:54 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  [Treatment] Should I adjust my machine? (Oscar data inside) capo89 3 634 01-10-2023, 11:24 AM
Last Post: upsman
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,787 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.