Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VA Healthcare for CPAP is really good
VA Healthcare for CPAP is really good
Not sure how many this applies to but I just wanted to pass on  how  responsive the VA is in regards to sleep apnea treatment. If you need anything from them a good way to reach them is to use Myhealthevet website and send your provider a message... of course provided  you've set up your account as "Premium" which allows you to send messages. I wanted to try a new mask and within a day the person that set up my CPAP gave me a call and  asked which mask I'm looking for... told him I wanted to try the Airfit N20. He  told me he'd place the order to get me the mask that day. 

I know this probably doesn't apply to many here but if you're one of those veterans out there using private  insurance and have access to the VA then I'd highly recommend trying it.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: VA Healthcare for CPAP is really good
We have had other veteran members and results have varied. I think things are improving at the VA and your story is good to hear.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
I go to the VA in Indianapolis,  I have AFib and after failing four cardioversions over a three year period they decided to send me to a private hospital for a Conversion Maze procedure.  However, the cardiologist first wanted me to have a stress echo test and a sleep apnea test.  I thought the sleep apnea test, which was held at an outside sleep clinic, was a waste of time. But lo and behold, I found out I have complex sleep apnea with Cheyne-Stokes.  I met with the VA sleep Doc exactly one month ago today and after she explained OSA, CSA and Complex sleep apnea, I was given a Philips Dreamstation Bipap ASV machine and a Resmed n30i mask on the spot. A few days later I received a package with another tube and a six month supply of filters  I have had good care from the Indianapolis VA, probably on par with what I used to get when I had private insurance. But I know not everyone's experience is the same and the quality of care can vary.  Another upside is that I probably won't have to declare bankruptcy like so many people do because of outlandish bills for health care.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also have had excellent care from VA,both on sleep apnea and also my diabetes.  They go out of their way to get supplies etc and telephone follow ups.
Resmed autoset 10-Care thru VA 
F20 Airtouch-F30 my favorite  My Air and Oscar
Post Reply Post Reply
I was in the National Guard from 80-86. Am I eligible for VA? If so how do I go about it?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2019, 01:52 PM)Lee Rilea Wrote: I was in the National Guard from 80-86. Am I eligible for VA? If so how do I go about it?

It's possible. I'd at least begin with applying for VA healthcare. You can do this in person if you don't want to navigate it online.
Post Reply Post Reply
The VA has eight levels of eligibility.  Four deal with vets with disabilities.  The other four are broader in scope.  Find a VA hospital in your area and take a copy of your DD-214.  The VA has expanded it's eligibility rules for homeless vets and low-income vets such as those living strictly on social security.  Since you are a member of this group you would find the VA has a good sleep apnea program.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-18-2019, 09:01 PM)charrob Wrote: The VA has eight levels of eligibility.  Four deal with vets with disabilities.  The other four are broader in scope.  Find a VA hospital in your area and take a copy of your DD-214.  The VA has expanded it's eligibility rules for homeless vets and low-income vets such as those living strictly on social security.  Since you are a member of this group you would find the VA has a good sleep apnea program.

Hmm yes this got me thinking. I applied to the VA within months of seperating and while on IRR.  Since I served in OIF ( Afghanistan ) I was entitled to 5 years  of medical care... I applied for disability and got put in priority level 2 which to the best of my knowledge means good for life. I'm not really sure of what's available outside of that... I'd concur with Charrob take your DD-214 and go to a VA hospital and ask the question there.
Post Reply Post Reply
My VA is spot on with my requests have enjoyed the experience so far
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I'm not disabled or retired or a homeless vet. I'm 58, and put in 6 years from 80-86.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Idea [CPAP] New to CPAP, Good So Far! TWINDAWN 2 71 Yesterday, 04:30 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Need help to find a good Luna G3 pressure. johnathanb76 13 204 03-22-2024, 11:06 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Good AHI but Low Tidal Volume and Minute Ventilation erolalper 1 147 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 177 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [CPAP] Started to feel good, then woke up feeling HORRIBLE TiredDude 4 807 02-15-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: TiredDude
  Poor quality sleep on ASV with good AHI sleepydawg99 8 624 12-19-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  First week - One "good" night and waking up with mask off most nights ghost10 9 682 12-15-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: ghost10

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.