Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

HELP! - A lot of CA's tonight with low SpO2
RE: HELP! - A lot of CA's tonight with low SpO2
Myron, I think you are letting anxiety get the better of you. The AHI and CAI is not that bad, especially if you consider the irregular breathing and apnea do not count when you're awake. They "look" like sleep disturbance events. There is no recovery breathing and there are multiple breaks in therapy. You actually recorded a total of 10 sessions. That is not restful sleep no matter how good the results. It looks like you might have finally gotten some sleep after 6:30 or so where the breathing flow rates settle into a more regular and lower amplitude.

Don't try to analyze a night like this. It's meaningless unless you sleep, and this looks like anything but good sleep. Find a way to relax.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OK thanks. We'll my sleep doctor is going to review it today. 

What I also noticed... When I have leaks, major leaks, my O2 is stable and rarely drops. When I have NO leaks, that is when my O2 drops. That doesn't make sense. I think the leaks is pushing more air and also has the affect of keeping my O2 up. 

I'm running that by my sleep doctor to see what he thinks.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto
Pressure EPAP min 4.4, IPAP 8.4, IPAP Max 18, PS 4.

Post Reply Post Reply
In ventilation, PEEP (positive end expiratory pressure) is what is used to control oxygenation. Higher PEEP or EPAP for higher O2 saturation. Pressure support is used to ventilate and reduce CO2. You can use this information as you see fit, however I'm not familiar with using leaks beyon the designed vent rate of the mask which is high enough to prevent re-breathing.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-26-2018, 03:08 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: In ventilation, PEEP (positive end expiratory pressure) is what is used to control oxygenation.  Higher PEEP or EPAP for higher O2 saturation.  Pressure support is used to ventilate and reduce CO2.  You can use this information as you see fit, however I'm not familiar with using leaks beyon the designed vent rate of the mask which is high enough to prevent re-breathing.

Thanks sleeprider. Appreciate the help. I'm learning more about the machine and apneas from you guys/gals then from all my doctors combined.

I think our health system in USA is messed up. They push products and then when you have an issue, they don't help us out. The doctors just think the automatic adjusting machines should just work. 

Now with that said. I can't increase EPAP too much since it raises IPAP. And my CA's were happening at some lower settings of 9-10 or so. I could adjust the maximum down I suppose and maybe that will prevent them from happening.
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
UPDATE...My sleep doctor downloaded the data and reviewed the two nights I said I saw CA's in sleepyhead. His nurse called me this morning, telling me that the doctor saw no obstructions and no issues to be concerned about. And she basically said she didn't know what I'm seeing on my side with this "free" sleepyhead software. She said their software "AirView and ResScan" show no events.

They basically LIED to me again. I told her that I also had the OFFICIAL ResScan software and it CLEARLY showed clusters of CA's with me stopping breathing, and this correlates with my O2 sensor drops. When I mentioned I had ResScan, she paused for a second. She knew I caught her in a lie, but still said the doctor saw no issues with my AHI or sleep.

So this morning, I FAXED over both SleepyHead and ResScan charts, showing the CA clusters, and my O2 sensor drops. I told them, this issue with my O2 drops, and feeling weak at night, and stopping breathing has occurred on multiple days in the past couple months.

This is the second sleep doctor in my area, that keeps telling me everything is okay. I'm pretty sure they just look at the overall AHI numbers and the basic graphs that "AirView" prints out. They don't look at the timeline showing the clusters of events grouped together.

I'm at a loss here. I'm at the point of looking for a third sleep doctor, but that doesn't guarantee they would look into my situation further.

Any thoughts?
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
Well my doctor apparently thinks these are "transitional" CA's, when you first go to sleep. And he said my oxygen dropping to 78-80% is of no concern during these events. *WHAT?* He also never mentioned that these CA's could be pressure induced either. I think he is either unaware of CA pressure-induced syndrome, or just thinks I'm fine as long as my AHI remains low.

[Image: wFaZMIC.jpg]
ResMed AirCurve 10 vAuto

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2018, 09:16 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Myron, I think you are letting anxiety get the better of you.  The AHI and CAI is not that bad, especially if you consider the irregular breathing and apnea do not count when you're awake.  They "look" like sleep disturbance events. There is no recovery breathing and there are multiple breaks in therapy. You actually recorded a total of 10 sessions.  That is not restful sleep no matter how good the results.  It looks like you might have finally gotten some sleep after 6:30 or so where the breathing flow rates settle into a more regular and lower amplitude.

Don't try to analyze a night like this. It's meaningless unless you sleep, and this looks like anything but good sleep. Find a way to relax.

(03-27-2018, 10:46 PM)MyronH Wrote: Well my doctor apparently thinks these are "transitional" CA's, when you first go to sleep. And he said my oxygen dropping to 78-80% is of no concern during these events. *WHAT?* He also never mentioned that these CA's could be pressure induced either. I think he is either unaware of CA pressure-induced syndrome, or just thinks I'm fine as long as my AHI remains low.

I don't disagree with  your doctor, and I'm not trying to pick a fight.  Try to get some good quality continuous sleep and relax.  These issues will diminish or disappear.  Nothing suggests a medical issue is behind the events that you are concerned with, or that a change in therapy, other than a narrower pressure range, is in order.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SPO2 still falling with CPAP freedom yayy 12 393 03-07-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: freedom yayy
  Help on analysing SpO2 drops a21900 9 828 03-02-2024, 12:33 AM
Last Post: Per Laursen
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 680 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Question [Equipment] Apnea index, blood pressure, pulse and SpO2 stier52r043 0 229 02-25-2024, 11:49 AM
Last Post: stier52r043
  TechieHippie's story: "mild" apnea but clusters of SpO2 drops TechieHippie 17 1,059 02-12-2024, 09:00 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  iNAP First Night Test Tonight (Running with APAP) Apnea23 4 1,212 01-21-2024, 10:32 PM
Last Post: scowell
  Movement and spO2 drops newtothis123 3 440 10-06-2023, 01:08 PM
Last Post: Old Mike

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.