Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VAuto Journey
RE: VAuto Journey
Maybe, but contact them in person and show some OSCAR results. Alternatively your doctor only needs to confirm a prescription when called. It usually is not a problem. Your doctor will probably allow ASV if you are not asking him to do battle with the insurance companies. Consider using your primary doctor if your sleep doctor is not flexible. Definitely no prescription required from DotMed
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I worked with Supplier #2 and they don’t require a prescription at least when I got my vauto through them.  They are great to do business with.
Post Reply Post Reply
What kind of heart study/exam do Doctors want patients to have before starting on ASV? Is the machine really dangerous?
Post Reply Post Reply
An older version of ASV was implicate in excess death rate in the SERVE-HF study published in 2015, based on a cohort of congestive heart failure patients with Cheyne-Stokes respiration. The study identified the excess death rate among severely impaired CHF patients without identifying a specific cause, and recommended out of caution that ASV not be used in CHF patients with left ventricular ejection fraction less than 45%. There are several techniques for determining LVEF %, most commonly echocardiogram (ECG or EKG).

A newer study, ADVENT-HF is still in progress, but has reported since 2018 that there is no excess risk associated with ASV, and cites the flaws in the SERVE-HF study. The main difference is that newer ASV is capable of auto-adjusting EPAP, and the study cohort has been properly titrated and monitored for use of the devices. Many individuals in the original study had very little actual use of the ASV machines. There is a fair amount of information online about these studies and the problems in the SERVE-HF study design. With the warning from the SERVE-HF study, it has been routine to screen for LVEF <45% since 2015.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2020, 08:38 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: An older version of ASV was implicate in excess death rate in the SERVE-HF study published in 2015, based on a cohort of congestive heart failure patients with Cheyne-Stokes respiration.  The study identified the excess death rate among severely impaired CHF patients without identifying a specific cause, and recommended out of caution that ASV not be used in CHF patients with left ventricular ejection fraction less than 45%.  There are several techniques for determining LVEF %, most commonly echocardiogram (ECG or EKG).

A newer study, ADVENT-HF is still in progress, but has reported since 2018 that there is no excess risk associated with ASV, and cites the flaws in the SERVE-HF study. The main difference is that newer ASV is capable of auto-adjusting EPAP, and the study cohort has been properly titrated and monitored for use of the devices.  Many individuals in the original study had very little actual use of the ASV machines.  There is a fair amount of information online about these studies and the problems in the SERVE-HF study design.  With the warning from the SERVE-HF study, it has been routine to screen for LVEF <45% since 2015.

Could someone on here help me with my initial settings once I get an ASV?
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes of course. The forum has assisted literally hundreds of members to optimize ASV, and nearly without exception, we can improve results compared to a laboratory titration and the doctor's settings which are nearly always based on fixed ASV.  We follow the principles in the Resmed ASV Titration Protocol below, but sometimes settings are a blend of the art and science.  With all the members here that use ASV you will have an abundance of help and suggestions.  I also included a copy of the recommended cardio screening procedure for ASV. Note, if you are reasonably certain you do not have heart failure, you can go straight to ASV.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4210]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4251]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2020, 08:53 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Yes of course. The forum has assisted literally hundreds of members to optimize ASV, and nearly without exception, we can improve results compared to a laboratory titration and the doctor's settings which are nearly always based on fixed ASV.  We follow the principles in the Resmed ASV Titration Protocol below, but sometimes settings are a blend of the art and science.  With all the members here that use ASV you will have an abundance of help and suggestions.  I also included a copy of the recommended cardio screening procedure for ASV.  Note, if you are reasonably certain you do not have heart failure, you can go straight to ASV.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4210]

[Image: attachment.php?aid=4251]

My AHI is under 5 with the high trigger setting. How do I know if I have moderate to severe predominant central sleep apnea?
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are currently comfortable, and are not concerned with the current level of AHI, then you don't need ASV. We can work with lower EPR or just allow more time to see if events diminish spontaneously. I think your charts look worse than they really are, this is mostly because you are not shrinking the vertical scale to show the view of events, flow rate, pressure, flow limitation and leaks that we would rather see. Instead we see huge charts of events, flow and pressure. Anyway, I agree, you are at best borderline to need ASV, and this can still self-resolve using your Aircurve 10 Vauto.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=24550]
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2020, 09:23 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: If you are currently comfortable, and are not concerned with the current level of AHI, then you don't need ASV.  We can work with lower EPR or just allow more time to see if events diminish spontaneously.   I think your charts look worse than they really are, this is mostly because you are not shrinking the vertical scale to show the view of events, flow rate, pressure, flow limitation and leaks that we would rather see.  Instead we see huge charts of events, flow and pressure.   Anyway, I agree, you are at best borderline to need ASV, and this can still self-resolve using your Aircurve 10 Vauto.

[Image: attachment.php?aid=24550]

My thing is that I still feel tired when I wake up. The level of tiredness has pretty much stayed the same once I switched from Auto CPAP to VAuto. The only thing is that last week I started feeling more tired when I wake up. Nothing has changed. Makes no sense. Could using an ASV be the trick to me feeling more awake? I mean it couldn’t make it worse could it?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hopefully some of the ASV users will pitch in their opinions. I helped a member "SpyCar" who went through similar AHI to yours, and felt ASV transformed his life. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-Adventure There are individuals that find the changes in pressure challenging and disruptive, but most that need it seem to benefit and adapt quickly.

Please minimize quoting whole posts. Most of us can follow the conversation unless you are referring to something specific that needs recalled. We have members with severe visual impairments that use voice readers to follow the forum and excess quoting makes these threads impossible for them. http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ht=quoting
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Attaching Files
Mask Primer

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Pressure] TiredButNotCranky's CPAP journey TiredButNotCranky 4 121 11 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 20 985 04-14-2024, 08:15 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aircurve 10 Vauto ANTIKATE 5 151 04-14-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Starting my journey to better sleep - guidance appreciated StuffyNoseDude 0 74 04-13-2024, 06:43 PM
Last Post: StuffyNoseDude
  Bipap VAuto Settings Help Please jonoc99 5 149 04-12-2024, 04:16 PM
  [Treatment] Valtor Therapy Thread - from Autoset to Vauto Valtor 50 1,364 04-12-2024, 09:24 AM
  ResMed VAuto single beep at times? k888 4 144 04-08-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: k888

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.