Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VERY VERY SORE NOSE
Sad 
VERY VERY SORE NOSE
I AM CURRENTLY USING A FISHER PAKAL FLEXI FIT 432 MASK WITH A RESMED MALIBU VPAP. THE PRESSURE SETTINGS ARE 13 AND 18. THE FLEXI FIT 432 IS THE ONLY MASK THAT I HAVE FOUND WITH THE UNDER CHIN FEATURE THAT I CAN GET TO STOP LEAKING. I CAN'T STAND NASAL PILLOWS OR A NASAL MASK BECAUSE I KEEP OPENING MY MOUTH. CHIN STRAPS HAVE BEEN TO NO AVAIL. FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS,I FOLLOW THE SAME PROCEDURE: THREE WEEKS OF TREATMENT AND ONE WEEK FOR MY NOSE TO HEAL. i AM GETTING A NEW RESMED S9 AND THE SETTINGS WILL BE 15 AND 21. THIS CREATES A PROBLEM BECAUSE I WILL PROBABLY NEED TO READJUST THE MASK MAKING IT ONLY WORSE. CAN ANYONE HELP WITH A GOOD SUGGESTION? [/size][/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: VERY VERY SORE NOSE
(12-15-2012, 05:40 PM)hunningsedaniel Wrote: I AM CURRENTLY USING A FISHER PAKAL FLEXI FIT 432 MASK WITH A RESMED MALIBU VPAP. THE PRESSURE SETTINGS ARE 13 AND 18. THE FLEXI FIT 432 IS THE ONLY MASK THAT I HAVE FOUND WITH THE UNDER CHIN FEATURE THAT I CAN GET TO STOP LEAKING. I CAN'T STAND NASAL PILLOWS OR A NASAL MASK BECAUSE I KEEP OPENING MY MOUTH. CHIN STRAPS HAVE BEEN TO NO AVAIL. FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS,I FOLLOW THE SAME PROCEDURE: THREE WEEKS OF TREATMENT AND ONE WEEK FOR MY NOSE TO HEAL. i AM GETTING A NEW RESMED S9 AND THE SETTINGS WILL BE 15 AND 21. THIS CREATES A PROBLEM BECAUSE I WILL PROBABLY NEED TO READJUST THE MASK MAKING IT ONLY WORSE. CAN ANYONE HELP WITH A GOOD SUGGESTION? [/size][/font]

hunningsedaniel,

Welcome to the forum!

In the future, it's considered good netiquette to turn-off the Caps Lock since all cap's indicate shouting and it really makes it difficult to read your post.

You stated the 432 is the only mask you can get to stop leaking so why is it leaking?

Do you wash your face before bed as well as the mask cushion? Any facial oil is an open invitation to leaks.

I shave every night since I've found the stubble will cause a slight leak at my average pressure of 12 cm, so, your higher pressure's would dictate that everything be as perfect as possible to maintain a good seal throughout the night.

There are others here using VPAP that I'm sure will chime-in as to their experience's and how they've overcome them.

Good luck!

Ren
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi hunningsedaniel, WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions to your question.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2012, 06:01 PM)TheWerkz Wrote:
(12-15-2012, 05:40 PM)hunningsedaniel Wrote: I AM CURRENTLY USING A FISHER PAKAL FLEXI FIT 432 MASK WITH A RESMED MALIBU VPAP. THE PRESSURE SETTINGS ARE 13 AND 18. THE FLEXI FIT 432 IS THE ONLY MASK THAT I HAVE FOUND WITH THE UNDER CHIN FEATURE THAT I CAN GET TO STOP LEAKING. I CAN'T STAND NASAL PILLOWS OR A NASAL MASK BECAUSE I KEEP OPENING MY MOUTH. CHIN STRAPS HAVE BEEN TO NO AVAIL. FOR THE LAST FIVE YEARS,I FOLLOW THE SAME PROCEDURE: THREE WEEKS OF TREATMENT AND ONE WEEK FOR MY NOSE TO HEAL. i AM GETTING A NEW RESMED S9 AND THE SETTINGS WILL BE 15 AND 21. THIS CREATES A PROBLEM BECAUSE I WILL PROBABLY NEED TO READJUST THE MASK MAKING IT ONLY WORSE. CAN ANYONE HELP WITH A GOOD SUGGESTION? [/size][/font]

hunningsedaniel,

Welcome to the forum!

In the future, it's considered good netiquette to turn-off the Caps Lock since all cap's indicate shouting and it really makes it difficult to read your post.

You stated the 432 is the only mask you can get to stop leaking so why is it leaking?

Do you wash your face before bed as well as the mask cushion? Any facial oil is an open invitation to leaks.

I shave every night since I've found the stubble will cause a slight leak at my average pressure of 12 cm, so, your higher pressure's would dictate that everything be as perfect as possible to maintain a good seal throughout the night.

There are others here using VPAP that I'm sure will chime-in as to their experience's and how they've overcome them.

Good luck!

Ren
Sorry about the caps lock. I am new to the forum. I wash my face and shave every night and I clean my mask on a daily basis. I sleep on my side and it seems like I always wake up with my face in the pillow. I have severe back trouble and cannot sleep on my back. With the higher pressures on my new machine, I definitely need some advice

(12-15-2012, 06:44 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi hunningsedaniel, WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more suggestions to your question.
Best of luck to you.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
Where is the nose sore, at the bridge? A mask should not be overly tightened as it can actually create more leaks in addition to tenderness. That is what it sounds like you are doing. Over tightening is very easy to do and it is difficult to find that line between tight enough to keep it on and so dang tight your nose loses circulation.

There are these pads to help with tender spots, though. Pad a cheek? Gecko? Someone else will know the name.

When is the last time you went mask shopping? They're coming out with better and better masks each year or so. It might be a good idea to sit down with your local supplier and discuss the issue and see what other masks are out there. I know you said you've tried, but keep trying.

And when was the last time you looked at chin straps? Like masks, they come out with new ones but not as often. Full face masks leak really bad and it is difficult to find the sweet spot.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-15-2012, 05:40 PM)hunningsedaniel Wrote: Sorry about the caps lock. I am new to the forum. I wash my face and shave every night and I clean my mask on a daily basis. I sleep on my side and it seems like I always wake up with my face in the pillow. I have severe back trouble and cannot sleep on my back. With the higher pressures on my new machine, I definitely need some advice

No apology needed. :grin:

There is a product that might help you from Pad A Cheek called the "Anti-Leak Strap" that goes around the mask to help keep it in place, you might want to talk to them, they DO list your F&P 432 mask as being compatible with their strap.

We're not allowed to add commercial links to this forum's message board but if you just Google the manufacturer's name above you'll find their site immediately and then look at their Anti-Leak Strap.

Since you're a side-sleeper (me too) you might want to consider one of the CPAP pillows on the market, to get an idea you could look on Amazon and search "CPAP pillow" and then read the reviews about each one, some people like them and some don't, a pillow is just as personal as finding the right mask that works the best for you under your particular sleeping arrangement.

You're already doing the same exact thing I've been doing for over 4 1/2 years as far as shaving and cleaning goes so if you like your mask other than the leaking part then one or both of these suggestions might be a good solution for you to try.

Keep us informed of your progress!

Ren

Post Reply Post Reply
the cushion need to inflate and float on your face without the need to overtighten the straps
maybe the cushion wrong size or/and worn out
check fisher and paykel mask fitting video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcm8-wj26...g&index=35
Post Reply Post Reply
My suggestion for tackling a very sore nose bridge (assuming your mask is not fastened too tightly) is to wash the mask cushion every morning using a mild dish detergent and rinse thoroughly.

My sore nose problem disappeared immediately I began using soapy water on a daily basis and (months later) has not returned.

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-16-2012, 02:35 PM)Kadenz Wrote: My suggestion for tackling a very sore nose bridge (assuming your mask is not fastened too tightly) is to wash the mask cushion every morning using a mild dish detergent and rinse thoroughly.

My sore nose problem disappeared immediately I began using soapy water on a daily basis and (months later) has not returned.
I was using a mild hand soap in the past, but now I have switched to Dawn dish washing detergent ( the original Dawn without all of the additives ). I have only been using it for four days now and the sore on my nose bridge appears to have started to heal. I will give it a month or so and see if it makes a difference. I hope that I get the same long term results that you got.

Post Reply Post Reply
Clorox brand, "Green Works" soap for hand washing dishes.
Makes a great de-greaser and looks like it has almost no bad things in it.
smells nice too.

No phosphates.

Smile
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,807 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 193 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  nasal decongestants helpful with stuffy nose? sleepingbetterinFl 1 150 03-12-2024, 12:23 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 6,971 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 170 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Cervical collar causing sore throat? TechieHippie 6 423 02-14-2024, 10:24 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 646 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.