Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VIC Roads health audits on Sleep Apnea sufferers
RE: VIC Roads health audits on Sleep Apnea sufferers
I do see that among other health items on the "fitness to drive" it includes sleep disorders. This is on the NSW Roads & Maritime Services (DMV for US folk). This requirement is for everyone, including normal passenger car licenses.

But this is an honour system where unless it's eyesight they are relying upon you to disclose such health issues unless they are physically obvious to the tester. I would never disclose my apnea as even untreated I was never a danger from falling asleep at the wheel. I am not sure how high blood pressure or cholesterol is dangerous to anyone but yourself. Fitness to drive is more focused on eyes; epilepsy; other fits & seizures; age & dementia from what I can read. Essentially anything that might cause you to kill someone else.

I am not sure what happened with Sandii (in Qld) who had her license suspended. It seemed strange as the reported actions taken by her doctor's was not in accordance with practice guidelines in Australia.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: VIC Roads health audits on Sleep Apnea sufferers
(05-04-2016, 05:57 AM)Dafod Wrote: II am not sure how high blood pressure or cholesterol is dangerous to anyone but yourself. Fitness to drive is more focused on eyes; epilepsy; other fits & seizures; age & dementia from what I can read. Essentially anything that might cause you to kill someone else.

A heart attack behind while running a big rig down the road at highway speeds can kill or injure a lot of other people. High cholesterol and high blood pressure greatly increase your chance of a sudden cardiac arrest event.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 114 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 13 279 03-12-2024, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Sleep Apnea or Something Else? RoughriderTR 5 194 03-12-2024, 03:56 PM
Last Post: RoughriderTR
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 6 453 03-10-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
  Complex Sleep Apnea? Suggestions? Unkikonki 55 2,829 03-08-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  React Health Luna G3 CPAP apotter11 3 164 03-01-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sleep physicians that value OSCAR and the Apnea Board community FrankFuss 26 3,260 02-28-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.