Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VOAT Question
VOAT Question
Dr. Oz is advertizing a sleep and sinus center in the Atlanta market for a procedure named "VOAT". The ad promotes a CPAP replacement procedure and a cure for sleep apnea. The TV ad doesn't describe what it actually is but sells the sizzle. When you go to their website it briefly describes the procedure but they again really lay on the sizzle. They make it sound so good to be true. . .Amazing

Has anybody had or investigated having this procedure? If so, please describe your experience.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: VOAT Question
Have not investigated it. Did see this info on their site just now:

Radiofrequency ablation (RFA) is a procedure where tissue is removed using the heat generated from the high frequency alternating current to treat a medical disorder. The current is produced by a radio wave and is used to heat a small area of nerve tissue to decrease pain signals from that area.

Building upon the principals of RFA, Dr. Dillard has established his own patent-pending procedure known as VOAT. The procedure involves warming the tongue tissues to denature its proteins. The denaturing leads to scarring which not only helps to reduce tissue volume, but also pulls tissue away from the airway.

You're right, it's a hard sell approach from what little I did see.

Post Reply Post Reply
It's surgery methodology called Ventral Only Ablation of Tongue (VOAT). The procedure was patented in 2014.

Patent info:

http://www.google.com/patents/US20140066721

Quote:Apparatus and methods for ventral only ablation of the tongue, for use in treating sleep apnea and related breathing disorders. An RF ablation probe or wand is inserted in ventral surface of a patient's tongue in a superior plane along a longitudinal (i.e., anterior to posterior) axis of the tongue, to a predetermined depth. The wand is withdrawn, RF energy is applied, creating a lesion predominantly in the interior of the tongue in an anterior to posterior plane, thereby resulting in less scarring but appreciable movement of the posterior tongue base away from the posterior pharyngeal wall. Also disclosed is a tongue retractor device used for measuring the depth of wand insertion, lifting the tongue to expose the ventral surface of the tongue for the procedure, and providing a stop surface to inhibit further wand insertion.

Most all of these types of surgeries are promoted as a "great" solution to CPAP if you're reading a surgeon's sales pitch. Of course, you have to remember that when all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

There have been a lot of folks who have undergone surgeries designed to "eliminate" the need for CPAP. The outcomes of these procedures are somewhat less "stellar" than many of these companies claim, and many who undergo such surgeries have complications that arise because of the surgery, and many still must use CPAP, although perhaps at a slightly less pressure, assuming the procedure is somewhat successful.

With any treatment for sleep apnea, there are risks and rewards. In my opinion, CPAP is still the gold standard for treatment. These surgical "solutions" are often not solutions at all and folks need to research carefully all the risks involved prior to undergoing something like this. If you want to read something scary, ask to see the "legal agreement" you must sign prior to having these types of procedures done.... that will open your eyes as to all the risks that these companies want you to assume yourself (so they can't be held liable if something goes wrong).

Eat-popcorn

EDIT: I'm moving this thread to the Main Forum, since it is actually sleep apnea related. Thanks.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 10:52 AM)sgearhart Wrote: Dr. Oz is advertizing a sleep and sinus center in the Atlanta market for a procedure named "VOAT". The ad promotes a CPAP replacement procedure and a cure for sleep apnea. The TV ad doesn't describe what it actually is but sells the sizzle. When you go to their website it briefly describes the procedure but they again really lay on the sizzle. They make it sound so good to be true. . .Amazing

Has anybody had or investigated having this procedure? If so, please describe your experience.

"The procedure involves warming the tongue tissues to denature its proteins" In layman's terms, it's called "cooking". It's the same thing that happens when you toss a steak in a hot pan.

One of my friends had it.

It was immensely painful for a while after surgery, then it helped some for a while, then it didn't. Now he has an APAP machine. Which is what he would have had if the doc hadn't talked him into being a guinea pig.

There's no way in hell I'd let anybody near me for any of those hot-poker and knife down the throat operations unless there was absolutely no other choice.

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 01:04 PM)Terry Wrote: "The procedure involves warming the tongue tissues to denature its proteins" In layman's terms, it's called "cooking". It's the same thing that happens when you toss a steak in a hot pan.

Based off your description I can now safely say that they are literally selling the "Sizzle".
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply
You lost me at Dr. oz
Post Reply Post Reply
Seriously, how did Dr. Oz get to be associated with all the snake oil, and nutrient rip-offs? Now surgery. If it says Dr. Oz, my spam filter deletes it.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
Sizzle might be all that has sales value. at least in this case.

When Lasik came out, I thought that seemed like a good idea. Never got it (people seem to think I am smarter when I wear glasses anyway). But if I were to get it, I told myself I would wait until I found a surgeon who had already performed the surgery a couple of thousand times. Even a great restaurant has a questionable startup period.

That might be a good way to consider this, although this one seems a little more snake-oily than Lasik. But I would be happy to be disabused of this notion, as that means there are more legitimate options.

Painful surgery seems to be not a realistic tradeoff for the elimination of a minor nuisance of a CPAP mask, especially when CPAP works.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 03:50 PM)TyroneShoes Wrote: Sizzle might be all that has sales value. at least in this case.

When Lasik came out, I thought that seemed like a good idea. Never got it (people seem to think I am smarter when I wear glasses anyway). But if I were to get it, I told myself I would wait until I found a surgeon who had already performed the surgery a couple of thousand times. Even a great restaurant has a questionable startup period.

That might be a good way to consider this, although this one seems a little more snake-oily than Lasik. But I would be happy to be disabused of this notion, as that means there are more legitimate options.

Painful surgery seems to be not a realistic tradeoff for the elimination of a minor nuisance of a CPAP mask, especially when CPAP works.

Bad example "Four-Eyes"! RolleyesBigwink

Lasik works. Had it 20 years ago, and haven't missed glasses since, other than everyone thinks I'm dumber than dirt.

There now, do you feel disabused now?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-02-2015, 03:03 PM)truetopath Wrote: You lost me at Dr. oz

Sorry! I'll try to type slower.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Apnea Helpful Tips

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate question and clock question The Rog 8 2,423 04-02-2018, 07:29 PM
Last Post: DeepBreathing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.