Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VPAP ADAPT SV prescription setting trouble
RE: VPAP ADAPT SV prescription setting trouble
(01-12-2014, 06:42 AM)vsheline Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 12:28 PM)DavidBol Wrote: hello!

I just recently purchased a VPAP adapt Sv, after a very complex multilevel surgery (UPPP...). Im currently 26 years old, and not obese. Neither CPAPs nor VPAPs were solving my issue. My diagnoses is Complex Apnea, and its been a nightmare for almost 5 years, no solutions at all.

The supplier couldnt set my pressure needs since I had just taken a recent sleep test. However, they suggested they could guide through the process.

If my needs are IPAP 17 cm H2O, EPAP 14 cm H2O. How can i configure my machine in ASV mode?

THe main issue i have now is that the max and min pressure is 15 and 10 cm H2O respectively, and cannot reach the required while entering clinical menu, those are the highest values It can reach. EPP could only be set to 10 cm H2O.

THanks for the help,

PS: Ive noticed the machine goes out of the limits sometimes, mostly IPAP sometimes is 17 cm H2O

(01-11-2014, 11:34 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: In the mean time, and assuming it works like my VPAP Adapt, you could set Min EPAP = 10, Max EPAP = 10, Min PS = 4, Max PS = 7. This will give you the 14 - 17 range you're looking for. Sleep-well

Hi DavidBol,

If your surgery was recent I think you will need time to heal completely, before again using CPAP of any type. If your surgeon neglected to give you instructions concerning how long to wait, unless it has been already a couple months since your surgery, I suggest you call his office to ask him (or his nurse) how soon it would be okay to use CPAP again.

My multilevel surgery was almost 4 years ago :SSSSS Thats how they found out my diagnosis is Complex Apnea. Immediately, I stared treatment with medications, firstly CPAP then VPAP. Ive tried those, and even Alternative Medicine such as Acupunture, Hollistic Medicine, and Homotoxicology. The only treatment, which lowered my IAH almost to 0, several years ago, was the VPAP adapt Sv. However, talked to different doctors trying to get a solution, in different countries, and there was still the doubt it was CompA. Recently took a sleep test, and a new doctor confirmed CompA, and suggested the ASV treatment.

My device should be a ¨S8¨ Vpap Adapt Sv, the S9 previous version. Through clinical menu I can only have access to EPP=EPAP (4-10 cm H2O) in Settings Menu, and to Min PS (3-5 cm H2O) and Max Ps (9-10 cm H2O) in Advanced Menu. How could I get the settings I need then?

Thanks for the help
Post Reply Post Reply
OK, after my last failed attempt at basic arithmetic, I'll try again Smile

Based on what you've said, your EPAP can only go up to 10, so your machine can't achieve the required 14 cm H2O. On the other hand, if you set the min PS to the maximum allowable 5, and the max PS to 7, then your IPAP will range between 15 and 17. (Remembering that IPAP = EPAP + PS). It might be that there is a minimum allowable difference between min and max PS, in which case increase the max PS - the machine won't go higher than it needs to to treat your apnea.

This might be sufficient to tide you over - it's worth a shot. If that fails then you might need to consider an S9 machine. However an S9 VPAP gets pretty expensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-12-2014, 01:44 PM)DavidBol Wrote: My device should be a ¨S8¨ Vpap Adapt Sv, the S9 previous version. Through clinical menu I can only have access to EPP=EPAP (4-10 cm H2O) in Settings Menu, and to Min PS (3-5 cm H2O) and Max Ps (9-10 cm H2O) in Advanced Menu. How could I get the settings I need then?

Hi DavidBol,

Setting EPAP to 10 (since the machine doesn't go any higher) would clearly be best in your case.

I recommend setting PS Max to its max. As Paul said, it won't go higher than needed, and some people sometimes need PS up to 10 or more to keep adequately ventilated during a central apnea.

I recommend getting a recording wrist-mounted Pulse-Oximeter to use to determine an optimal setting for PS Min. (The type of pulse-ox with a separate finger sensor cup is more comfortable to wear for multiple days in a row.)

Or just set the PS Min for whatever is most comfortable.

If you have a recording pulse-ox (available from Supplier 19, a link to our Supplier List is given at top of all forum pages) I suggest setting PS Min to best maintain an O2 saturation of 92 to 96 while asleep. If your SpO2 is usually higher than 96 when sleeping it is too high in my opinion. Too much O2 can cause too much oxidation (too many free radicals in the body), can interfere with prescription medications, and can be a long term stress on our health.

Used S9 VPAP Adapt model 36007 (not newer, better model 36037) are occasionally available from Suppier #2 for about $1,450 (including humidifier and heated hose). Model 36007 cannot automatically adjust EPAP, but its EPAP can be set as high as 15. If they don't have one for sale right now they may have one again next week or next month.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone else have trouble breathing through their nose when sleeping? POOKISTAN 4 111 4 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  N30i [what mask setting] Airsense 10 AutoSet Topdogg7505 8 3,230 04-20-2024, 10:02 AM
Last Post: ahfairley
  Resmed Airsense 10 time to return to low pressure setting jfchap 3 168 04-13-2024, 03:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Trouble staying asleep with CPAP sarahsleeps 46 2,195 04-12-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 324 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Trigger Setting Switch - Aircurve 10 MrIvanDrago 4 167 04-09-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  CPAP to ASV setting translation? Moemah123 2 529 04-03-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: Yujiyun

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.