Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VPAP Adapt pressure question
VPAP Adapt pressure question
New user, just got the ResMed VPAP Adapt with the H5i humidifier.. my pressure settings are EPAP 5, min ps 4, max ps 15.

wonder if my pressure is a normal starting position?

I have been diagnosed with Central Sleep Apnea which is probably caused by my use of a narcotic pain medication for a severe back injury.
Post Reply Post Reply
[splitxxxxxxx] New s9 Autoset user
(09-26-2014, 06:57 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: New user, just got the ResMed VPAP Adapt with the H5i humidifier.. my pressure settings are EPAP 5, min ps 4, max ps 15.

I have been diagnosed with Central Sleep Apnea which is probably caused by my use of a narcotic pain medication for a severe back injury.

You probably should start a new thread for your question. Perhaps the moderators will split your question into a new thread.

The VPAP Adapt is an Auto Servo Ventilation (ASV) machine. It provides a backup rate; and is used to treat Central Apneas.

Your settings, as listed, provide for a wide range of auto-adjust.
That's usually how they are setup initially.

I'm nearly certain your machine is 100% data capable.
I recommend getting the software available from this board; and following your therapy be reading out hte SD card to your computer.
Remember to write protect the SD card before reading it with the computer; then move the tab back before re-insertion into the machine.

I would not even suggest that you attempt any change in your settings when dealing with CA from pain killers.

Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: VPAP Adapt pressure question
Whitewabit, Your post was split off into it's own thread so it gets the attention it deserves.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
I don't really think there is a normal starting position so to speak. But that looks to be as average as you get. Very vanilla.

Good luck. Welcome to the board.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2014, 06:57 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: New user, just got the ResMed VPAP Adapt with the H5i humidifier.. my pressure settings are EPAP 5, min ps 4, max ps 15.

Hi Whitewabit, welcome to the forum!

What is the REF# on the back of your machine's blower unit (not the humidifier)? If it is 36007 then this is the old S9 VPAP Adapt (like mine). If it is 36037 it is the new S9 VPAP Adapt which replaced the 36007 starting November 2012.

If the machine is REF# 36007 and you (or insurance) paid for a new unit, I suggest taking it back to the supplier and insisting on receiving the new model, not one which (even if never sold before) is now nearly 2 years obsoleted. By the way, if your doc changes your prescription to give a range for EPAP (even a small one like 4 to 6) then the supplier would be forced to dispense you the newer machine. Only the newer modle is able to provide automatic adjustment of EPAP within a range.

A low value like 5 for EPAP will not help Obstructive Sleep Apnea much, but if you have only Central Sleep Apnea rather than mixed obstructive and central, then values for EPAP like 4 or 5 or 6 would probably be fine, as long as it is comfortable for you.

How does the therapy feel to you? Any problems?

A min PS of 4 sounds like a good starting point.

A max PS of 15 is very much on the high side. It is your machine's highest possible setting for max PS. The pressure will occasionally jump too high (such as when you are swallowing saliva or changing sleep position), perhaps causing leaking or causing too much air to be swallowed. If that bothers you then call the doc's office right away so he can consider having the max PS setting reduced to 12 or 10, at least temporarily.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed VPAP adapt I bought is a Model 36037, was aware of the model change in 2012 and made sure it was a new model from the start .. I had done some research on the Adapt after being told that is the one I needed according to my Doctor ..

I thought the max PS of 15 was high too from what I have been reading .. but will see how I do .. tonight will be my first night on the unit. If I have trouble will call my doctor. With these settings I was down to an AHI of 1.68 during the study.

27 out of 29 apneas an hour were central in the third sleep study I was made to suffer through.. the higher the EPAP the higher the number of centrals.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well the night wasn't my best sleep I have ever had. Managed to stay on the machine for 4.7 hours. Ended up getting up and changing masks as I was getting noise from the FX that was keeping me awake. After that I think I did better. My AHI was 7.8 for the night and the mask fit was good .. did wake with my mouth opening and put un a chin strap that helped.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is a screen on the ResMed CPAP Adapt labeled "Service" with several lines of data, was wondering what the abbreviations meant. It has the following data on the page and was wondering what it all meant ??

Does anyone know?

Service

SW - SX474-1300
BID - SX525-0400
VID - 16
RID - 100
HID - SX496-0212
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2014, 11:17 AM)Whitewabit Wrote: SW - SX474-1300
BID - SX525-0400
VID - 16
RID - 100
HID - SX496-0212

These refer to the software installed on your blower unit and humidifier which would be of interest mostly to customer service reps and repair techs, but I think would be explained briefly in the clinician set-up manual for your machine.

Lots of more important info would also be in the clinician set-up manual. You can request a copy by email by following the instructions given in a thread in the Important Threads section at the top of the listing of forum threads.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-27-2014, 12:37 AM)vsheline Wrote:

Hi Whitewabit, welcome to the forum!

What is the REF# on the back of your machine's blower unit (not the humidifier)? If it is 36007 then this is the old S9 VPAP Adapt (like mine). If it is 36037 it is the new S9 VPAP Adapt which replaced the 36007 starting November 2012.

If the machine is REF# 36007 and you (or insurance) paid for a new unit, I suggest taking it back to the supplier and insisting on receiving the new model, not one which (even if never sold before) is now nearly 2 years obsoleted. By the way, if your doc changes your prescription to give a range for EPAP (even a small one like 4 to 6) then the supplier would be forced to dispense you the newer machine. Only the newer modle is able to provide automatic adjustment of EPAP within a range.

A low value like 5 for EPAP will not help Obstructive Sleep Apnea much, but if you have only Central Sleep Apnea rather than mixed obstructive and central, then values for EPAP like 4 or 5 or 6 would probably be fine, as long as it is comfortable for you.

How does the therapy feel to you? Any problems?

A min PS of 4 sounds like a good starting point.

A max PS of 15 is very much on the high side. It is your machine's highest possible setting for max PS. The pressure will occasionally jump too high (such as when you are swallowing saliva or changing sleep position), perhaps causing leaking or causing too much air to be swallowed. If that bothers you then call the doc's office right away so he can consider having the max PS setting reduced to 12 or 10, at least temporarily.

Take care,
--- Vaughn

The Max Pressure setting of 15 I believe is too high also. Will continue to use it this weekend at those settings and will call my Dr to express my concerns Monday.
Today my chest/lungs seem to be sore and think its from the high pressure, I it went up to the maximum (20) on the graph many times during my usage last night.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,280 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,629 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 313 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure Dawna 13 877 10-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.