Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VPAP Adapt pressure question
RE: VPAP Adapt pressure question
levels set on 5/4/9 after talking to my Dr today, down from 5/4/15 ..

Do hope I will be able to sleep with it tonight for a full nights sleep, but only time will tell !
Post Reply Post Reply
Wasn't able to use the Adapt last night. lasted 18 minutes before lung soreness returned .. Doctors nurse yesterday told me to "Listen to my Body" .. if I need to take a couple of days to get over this feeling of soreness as lungs being over inflated to do it. she also said PS may need to be lowered even more but then she did. down from 20 to 14 Max PS ..

Having asthma I think is causing some of my problems with breathing on the machine ..

May try to nap this afternoon and use it then, or at least try .. chest discomfort was better this morning or at least felt better then it had yesterday..
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I sure know that feeling. I think air gets trapped in the chest and needs some time to work itself out. Moving around helps to dislodge it, in my case. And I do think your pressures are too high, just from my own experience.

I suppose if you had the clinical manual, kept good records, you could test a much smaller pressure range while sitting up reading or something. Couldn't hurt since you're off the machine as it is. But when I had that soreness, it took 2 or 3 days before I could try again, so please don't be discouraged. I listen to my body all the time, and have quite a good survival record because of it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2014, 01:07 PM)PhyllisBalboa Wrote: Yes, I sure know that feeling. I think air gets trapped in the chest and needs some time to work itself out. Moving around helps to dislodge it, in my case. And I do think your pressures are too high, just from my own experience.

I suppose if you had the clinical manual, kept good records, you could test a much smaller pressure range while sitting up reading or something. Couldn't hurt since you're off the machine as it is. But when I had that soreness, it took 2 or 3 days before I could try again, so please don't be discouraged. I listen to my body all the time, and have quite a good survival record because of it.

Have not used it or napped so far today. I don't think I will use it tonight either as you said it took you 3 days and I am having the similar feels in my chest as you had had. Have had a collapsed lung many years ago and some what worried about the pressure settings and conveyed that yesterday..

the weather is high humidity today and that tends to bother my asthma and is having an effect it seems with the soreness.

Thanks for the idea of using it for awhile while sitting up in a chair. may do that tomorrow to see how it feels before trying to sleep with it.

sure wish I would have been one that took to the machine better !! not discouraged but it is frustrating to me.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2014, 02:45 PM)Whitewabit Wrote: sure wish I would have been one that took to the machine better !! not discouraged but it is frustrating to me.

Actually, I had a terrible time with it at first.

And interesting that you should mention humidity. When I first got it in May, living in Phoenix with 110 degrees plus and drier than anything, I had the air issue right off the bat. I gradually changed the climate control until I was draining the humidifier tub every night. Then the air issue settled down.

Then, moving to Montreal in August, the air issue started back up. I had to change pressure settings and change climate control again. Now the tub empties about every 3 days.

I don't know if there's a connection between the two places. PHX is at sea level, but Montreal is about the same. Maybe climate is the only difference. The only other thing is that my machine sets a foot lower than it did in PHX. Grasping at straws to explain the air issue, but there you go.

Post Reply Post Reply
Another terrible night .. chest/lung muscles sore .. should have waited a day or two longer I think, before trying it again! Pressures still to high I think, IPAP makes me feel like its filling a balloon the sudden expansion and then the effort to expel the air. EPAP The muscles used to expel air seem to be the ones that are the sorest .. Breathing in doesn't seem to cause discomfort but the effort to expel the air is when I fell tightness/discomfort. Have noticed I am taking shorter breaths of air this morning, as expanding my chest is a little uncomfortable for me this morning. Weather going to play a factor as rain is suppose to move into area later tonight and the air will be much heavier!

Nurse is suppose to call me back hopefully with some lower numbers I can live with. Its not doing me any good acting as a paper weight on my dresser. I have to be able to use it, if that means lowering pressures down to almost nothing then so be it! If almost no pressure allows me to wear it and then we can slowly adjust them to higher levels as I become acclimated to it.

Have had the ResMed Adapt now a week and haven't been able to use it very long on an average day less then 2 hours .. for my insurance I need to get at least 4 hours a day usage.

Call in to my Doc's nurse and she will discuss my situation with doc and give me a call back later today. I explained to her what I thought would help and why and she somewhat agreed, but was unsure of the capability of my machine and what setting range was possible. I would like to try a EPAP of 3 and Min PS of 3 and Max PS of 7. It is presently set to 5-5-9 so think 3-3-7 would be possible for the MedRes Adapt on ASV but am not sure
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2014, 11:31 AM)Whitewabit Wrote: I would like to try a EPAP of 3 and Min PS of 3 and Max PS of 7. It is presently set to 5-5-9 so think 3-3-7 would be possible for the MedRes Adapt on ASV but am not sure

Hi Whitewabit,

You should request by email the clinician set-up manual for the S9 Adapt. (For how to do this, see the Important Threads section at top of the forum.) The clinician set-up manual contains important info on what the settings mean and their allowed ranges, for the various therapy modes (CPAP, ASV, AutoASV).

EPAP on the S9 Adapt can be set as low as 4. The Max PS can be as low as 5 higher than the Min PS.

If youi are having problems with too much pressure, standard ASV mode (as opposed to AutoASV mode) is probably best, at least until your breathing muscles have have gained strength.

You can ask your doctor/therapist about trying EPAP=4 or 5, Min PS = 1 or 2, Max PS = 6 or 7.

If that turns out to be too much pressure, in ASV mode the machine can go as low as EPAP=4, Min PS=0, Max PS=5 but I suggest using at least Min PS=1 and Max PS=6 so that you will have at least a little PS, since actually PS makes it easier for us to breathe in and out.

As you wrote, would be good to eventually work your way up to higher pressures during the next month or two, as you become acclimated to breathing under pressure.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well I found out the Adapt has to have a spread of 5 between Min and Max PS, so

my old settings were EPAP-5 Min PS 5 and Max Ps 9
new settings will be EPAP-4 Min PS 3 and Max PS 8

Doctor didn't want to go below 3 on the Min PS which made the Max PS to be 8 couldn't set it any lower. they had wanted the Max PS to be 6 but that is not possible with the minimum of 3.

will try it out for awhile this evening before going to bed, and if I have to I will take a pain pill to help me sleep with it if that is what it takes. but am afraid it might make my centrals worse. but I have to use .. it is the only way to find out!
Post Reply Post Reply
Best of luck
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well last night didn't go well. But not because of the machine or me.

Woke after about 40 minutes worth of use gasping for air. Set straight up in bed removing my mask .. bells and buzzers were going off and it was like What the H*** is going on .. when I realized the thing wasn't running any more no air flow at all! What did it break at only a week of very limited use ?? No, We had no power! My alarm clock was not lit showing the time.. Fumbled around looking for the flash light next to my bed. Stayed up guessing at close to an hour and still no power so went back to bed.

Checked what little sleep with it that I got and from the stats I found I had slept 38 minutes very sound all the lines were nice and level no spikes and an AHI of 0.0 .. did feel a little bloated and was getting rid of some gas. I had chilly for dinner so not sure if that was the cause or my treatment ..

But was able to sleep! that is a big change over what I have been able to do so tonight will hopefully be a good night.

Raining here and the humidity is 100% so going to reduce the humidity down a bit also. Have had it on 80% but am going to try it on 75%, had a bit of moisture in the nose pillows after less then an hour last night. Was raining then with 100% humidity also.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Pressure Support Question MrIvanDrago 16 1,280 01-02-2024, 04:55 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,628 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 313 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  [Pressure] Advice needed with question about inhalation pressure Dawna 13 877 10-11-2023, 11:08 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Any downside to using static pressure vs range pressure? hejohoo 6 922 09-08-2023, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.