Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VPAP BiPAP comparison
VPAP BiPAP comparison
Greetings all

How do the Devilbiss IntelliPAP AutoBilevel System and the ResMed S9 VPAP Auto compare? Is there a clear winner between these 2? Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: VPAP BiPAP comparison
The ResMed machine is more expensive. ResMed is a more popular choice among the folks on this board. We don't hear much about the Devilbiss machines. As far as I can tell they are both auto bilevel machines. Auto machines adjust the pressure as you sleep in response your apneas. Bilevel machines give you two levels of pressure, a higher level when you inhale and a lower level when you exhale.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I believe the DeVilbiss machines do not record airflow waveforms like the S9 VPAP does.

In my opinion, this makes it a nobrainer to choose the S9. Treating apnea complex enough to require a bilevel machine with airflow waveforms is like treating heart trouble without taking an EKG. Airflow waveforms show the actual breath by breath airflow. Without airflow waveforms, you get an indication that the machine thinks you had an apnea, and maybe an indication of the length, but you can't see the airflow to tell you how "real" and severe the apnea was.

It also requires an extra cost data module to record the AHI data that it does record, but I think you don't get airflow waveforms.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks, sleepster.

Yeah, these are both BiPAP/VPAP auto's. An open box deal I see with one of the suppliers would actually make the Devilbiss machine more expensive.

I've had both ResMed and DeVilbiss auto's in the past. They were both older machines dating back to 2000/2002. Both were taken out by lightning strikes.

I've got my eye on a BiPAP/VPAP auto this go around. I was wondering how these 2 compare. It looks like there's no flow measurement with the Devilbiss. Will the free software work with both of them? Has anyone here used the Devilbiss IntelliPAP AutoBilevel System?
Post Reply Post Reply
Interesting info regarding the airflow waveforms, archangle. Thanks! I read something about definable events with the Devilbiss (I can't seem to locate it at the moment) but that's not the same thing, is it?

Let me bounce something off of you folks, if I may. The reason I am keyed in on a BiPAP this go around is that I've noticed that I don't begin to empty my lungs at 17.6 pressure - not even close. I remember when I got my first CPAP. My ribs were sore from exhaling against the machine. After I emptied my lungs, that puppy filled me up like a balloon. I didn't even have to try to inhale and that was at just 10cm of pressure.

I've noticed that I don't even try to empty my lungs now. I exhale probably no more than 1/4 of the air in my lungs. Neither does the machine fill me up, so to speak. BUT, when I'm awake, if I force the air out of my lungs, my oh my do I get some air coming back in. That's what I want!

Does this make sense? With a lower pressure to exhale against, won't I empty more of the air in my lungs?
Post Reply Post Reply
system one BIPAP is worth a look, cheaper than the S9 and the new ones comes with heated tube (60 series).
the only thing sleepyhead support the 50 series not 60 series machines just yet
but if you look around might find encore basic or pro software works with the 60 series
Post Reply Post Reply
BiLevel can make breathing against pressure more comfortable for some people but its not ASV
you need to see your doctor and run some lung function tests
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2012, 12:26 AM)zonk Wrote: you need to see your doctor and run some lung function tests

No can do. I'm close to choosing between food and a new machine as it stands. Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
I think the ASV is for folks with central sleep apnea. Isn't it?

If money is the object, then go with the S9. Yes, it may be more up front, but you won't have to buy software and it works with SleepyHead and ResScan.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I,m not knowledgeable to give you a detailed explanation of the difference of Resmed VPAP units (there are several)
but really we have to know what are we trying to treat

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 220 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,233 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 251 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 314 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.