Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VPAP BiPAP comparison
RE: VPAP BiPAP comparison
(09-30-2012, 11:47 PM)REMember Wrote: I've got my eye on a BiPAP/VPAP auto this go around. I was wondering how these 2 compare. It looks like there's no flow measurement with the Devilbiss. Will the free software work with both of them?

SleepyHead works with both PRS1 (not model 60 machines) and DevilBiss IntelliPAP machines. However, I'm not sure it works with all IntelliPAP models, so don't count on that until you verify it.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
4 sleep studies say that we're trying to treat severe obstructive sleep apnea with an AHI of 120 for the last 3 studies and 107 for the initial study.

Sleep medicine is in the dark ages here. The only sleep study available on this island is performed in the doctor's office using an APAP. So, it's a simple choice. One night on an APAP - $1500. Years spent on the same machine - much less. The hospital is to be avoided at all costs. I think they still use leaches here. Big Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-30-2012, 11:47 PM)REMember Wrote: An open box deal I see with one of the suppliers would actually make the Devilbiss machine more expensive.

Then I'd definitely go with the ResMed. It should work with both SleepyHead and Rescan software, and they're both free.

If you go with a Philips Respironics 60 Series macine you'll be forced to use the Encore software. It doesn't let you zoom in on the waveforms (the Flow Rate graphs) and it's not anywhere near as good as SleepyHead.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks, sleepster! ResMed it is then. Wish me luck in getting one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-01-2012, 11:23 PM)REMember Wrote: Many thanks, sleepster! ResMed it is then.

Hi REMember,

I think the S9 VPAP-Auto is much better than an S9 VPAP-S. I think the S in VPAP-S stands for synchronous, because the machine tries to respond and synchronize its two pressure levels (inhale pressure IPAP and exhale pressure EPAP) with your natural breathing. But the VPAP-S has only two fixed (manually-adjusted) levels to choose from. The S9 VPAP-Auto, on the other hand, can be set to either therapy mode, VPAP-S mode or VPAP-Auto mode.

The S9 VPAP-Auto when operating in Auto mode is like the S9 Autoset. It can be set to a range (maximum IPAP and minimum EPAP) and it will automatically adjust itself within the limits to eliminate obstructive events (flow limitations, etc). The main difference between the S9 Autoset and the S9 VPAP Auto is the AutoSet has EPR which can be manually adjusted to give up to 3 cm H2O pressure difference between IPAP and EPAP, whereas the VPAP-Auto can be manually adjusted for up to 10 cm H2O difference between IPAP and EPAP. Also, the VPAP series has many additional adjustable parameters, such as how sensitive (how quick) you want it to be when deciding you are changing from IPAP to EPAP and back. The ResMed web site says the VPAP-Auto is the optimal machine for treating only obstructive apneas (as opposed to both obstructive and central apneas, which is when a machine like the VPAP-ST or the VPAP-Adapt SV or their Respironics equivalents may be needed).

The S9 VPAP-ST is like the VPAP-S but adds a fixed (manually-adjusted) back-up breathing rate which will kick in if your central nervous systems fails to try to breathe, even though there is no obstruction. But while the VPVP-ST is forcing you to breathe at least a little, it does not necessarily maintain enough tidal air flow though your lungs to actually keep your oxygen levels adequate. Tidal flow is the in-out airflow calculated to be going through your lungs, after taking into account both estimated intentional leakage and estimated unintentional leakage.

The S9 VPAP-Adapt SV is not limited to a fixed (manually-adjusted) difference between IPAP and EPAP. I think the VPAP-Adapt SV will operate a lot like the VPAP-Auto when you are breathing on your own, and when the machine needs to force you to breathe because your central nervous system is failing to try to breathe, it will look at your tidal air flow and will automatically adjust IPAP and EPAP to maintain a steady and adequate level of tidal air flow through your lungs, to keep your oxygen levels adequate. But of course everyone is different and the S9 VPAP Adapt SV does not work out for some who try it.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2012, 02:06 AM)vsheline Wrote: I think the S in VPAP-S stands for synchronous,

I believe "S" is "Spontaneous." The machine waits for you to inhale or exhale before switching pressures. i.e. the patient spontaneously starts his own breathing cycle.

"T" is "Timed." The machine will only wait a certain amount of time for you to start the next breath. After that, it switches pressure even if it doesn't see you start the next breathing cycle.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
a little bird told me - S for spontaneous
learn more about VPAP - there is a test by the end of week
http://www.resmed.com/us/products/vpap_s...c=patients#
Post Reply Post Reply
Many thanks for such detailed info, folks!

I have an S9 VPAP auto on the way. Cool. Smile

Time to download and learn the software.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-02-2012, 05:14 PM)REMember Wrote: Many thanks for such detailed info, folks!

I have an S9 VPAP auto on the way. Cool. Smile

Time to download and learn the software.
The clinical manual available from Apnea Board via Email {scroll down to section three)
http://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-pr...tup-manual

vpap welcome guide
http://www.resmed.com/us/assets/document...er_eng.pdf

ResScan tutorial
http://www.apneaboard.com/resscan.htm

Post Reply Post Reply
Perfect! You rock, zonk!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Comparison - Cervical Collar vs No Cervical Collar phoen1kx 9 215 Yesterday, 11:26 AM
Last Post: phoen1kx
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,231 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Which biPAP? HalfAsleep 9 250 03-14-2024, 09:04 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  bipap Innisfree 2 421 12-12-2023, 07:00 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 313 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 635 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Help with bipap Al N 7 697 09-14-2023, 06:15 PM
Last Post: Al N

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.