Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

High deductible ins-New cpap
Question 
High deductible ins-New cpap
[attachment=4845]I have high deductible insurance and so I would have to pay for any CPAP equipment that I might need.

Currently I use a Resmed S9 with a pressure setting of 9.  My last/first sleep study was in 2012.  I didn’t feel that I received much guidance or choices and so I am very hesitant to go that route again …especially given the fact the this time around I would pay everything out of pocket.

I was thinking about a new AutoSet CPAP.  Leaning towards a Dreamstation based on the iPhone App.  I occasionally download data now into Sleepyhead on my S9.  I would really like to try and adapt unit to see how this might work.  Currently my S9 gives me an AHI in the 1-3 range.

Advice/Question - I have a prescription to get a sleep study.  If I go that route, I would look for a home study option because of cost.  The other option is to just get an AutoSet unit - maybe craigslist, Amazon, or online.  So far most of the home sleep study sites online send the equipment and do the study but I have not been able to find one that gives you a prescription so I can shop on my own. It appears most will allow you to get a unit from them but don’t give you an actual prescription.  Is anyone aware of a place that will do the home sleep study at reasonable cost and then give you a prescription?

The other option might be Commercial link removed.  Please search Supplier #30.   They have an option to get get the prescription CPAP package for $99.  This would be the cheapest.  Opinions?

Presumably they give me an auto unit and maybe some broad pressure range setting. I was thinking this might be the best route.  The other options is do their home sleep study which costs $299.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed

To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites.  This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.

-----
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: High deductible ins-New cpap
If you've been using a Resmed and like it, you may not like the switch to a PR machine. The breathing patterns are different and you may not be able to adjust to it.

Your best bet is an autoPAP, such as the A10 Autoset. Supplier #2 has new and gently used machines at great prices.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Current rate for the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset on Amazon is $644. I have seen lower. No need to show a prescription or mess around. That is a delivered price with humidifier and hose. If you can deal with a "used like-new" machine there is on for just over $500 on Amazon. Supplier #2 also provides a good competitive price on new and used equipment. Supplier #30 offers a nice package with home sleep studies and decent prices, but I don't see any benefit to you of another sleep study; you know you need the machine.

You had a previous sleep study, and there should be no need for another, especially since you have been under continuous treatment. Your doctor should be willing to write the script for auto CPAP and any supplies. You might want to contact the clinic where you had your last study and request a copy of the study for your personal records. That should suffice for a long time into the future. With the Autoset and using #Sleepyhead software, you will get excellent treatment and feedback. The MyAir app is just a browser application, and DreamMapper offers no significant advantage. When it comes to Auto CPAP machine, the Resmed is superior in results and comfort features.

Your Resmed S9 offers exhale pressure relief (EPR). Did you ever try it?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi superboiler,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I would stick to the same brand, since you are used to the resmed machines.
Good luck as you continue CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 125 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Pressure] ASV pressure too high. Please Help Mosleepy 27 691 03-21-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 1 104 03-19-2024, 08:15 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 117 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  COSA, hypoxemia, AFIB, high BP, polycythemia, and CBTI? Motorheadrulz 45 4,415 03-16-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Motorheadrulz
  Stumbled into amazing fix for my high ahi Lanners 2 213 03-09-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: kkjacks
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 296 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.