Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VPAP Spontaneous Triggered & Cycled Breaths
RE: VPAP Spontaneous Triggered & Cycled Breaths
Wow, Matt00926,

Are you a teacher? You're doing an awesome job on educating my elementary class. Kudos. Well-done

not a sarcastic post...
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-10-2018, 05:40 PM)Matt00926 Wrote: Airbus:

While you are awake, is the device itself comfortable? When you try to breathe in, does it trigger a breath/inhalation properly in sync with your breathing?

Another reason for possible machine triggered breaths, aside from breathing below the set backup rate, is that the "trigger sensitivity" is too low and so the machine does not sense you trying to take a breath, so the machine does it for you. This is just a possibility, and the setting may not need adjusting. But, while awake if you do breath in, and nothing happens, then trigger definitely does need adjusting. This is harder to tell if it's happening when you're asleep, well, because you're asleep lol.

If the inhalation portion feels too short, meaning you are trying to inhale but the machine cuts out, then you can lower the cycle sensitivity or increase the Ti Min setting (or both).

Depending on the severity of your scoliosis, especially if you have a kyphosis curve as well, this would in effect be called a chest wall disorder, which is an extrapulmonary (meaning it's a mechanical problem, not your lungs themselves) restrictive disease because the curvature compresses the lungs in a way that makes them difficult to expand properly. That process overtime causes issues with ventilation, hence the retention of CO2.

The only reason I know the above is because I suffer from that exact condition Grin.

When I'm awake I wouldn't says it uncomfortable or comfortable, but last night was only my 3rd night of using it.

The sensitivity is set to medium and always seems to pick up when I'm inhaling/exhaling.

One problem I was having last night was when I was lying on my back and exhaling I was making a snort/snore sound, even when I was awake.

Triggered breaths was only 5% last night too.
Post Reply Post Reply
What is your respiratory rate while awake and using the machine? It should show on the screen.

Do you sleep on your back? (Supine sleeping is known to make sleep apnea worse, and also respiratory function in respiratory patients, as it generally decreases one's vital capacity due to the diaphragm being compromised.)
Post Reply Post Reply
FWIW back sleeping as Matt states can increase AHI numbers. It can be doubly bad for people like myself with apnea and COPD.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-11-2018, 01:56 PM)Matt00926 Wrote: What is your respiratory rate while awake and using the machine? It should show on the screen.

Do you sleep on your back? (Supine sleeping is known to make sleep apnea worse, and also respiratory function in respiratory patients, as it generally decreases one's vital capacity due to the diaphragm being compromised.)

Not sure... Can't read the screen when I've got my mask on.  Need glasses and FitLife steams up.

On ResScan resp rate is between 20-35 in the first 15-20 minutes.

I sleep on both sides and back.  Start on left or right side, then go on my back then on the other side from where I started.  Then back on my back and other side.  I do that throughout the night.
Post Reply Post Reply
Can you post an image of what is happening during a typical night? From res scan.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2018, 07:41 PM)Matt00926 Wrote: Can you post an image of what is happening during a typical night? From res scan.

From Sunday...

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah you are spontaneously breathing at or below 15bpm...that's why you are getting the timed backup rate almost the entire night. If it's comfortable it doesn't really matter, the machine doing most of the work for you isn't a bad thing.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aircurve 10 ST-A and Lumis 150 VPAP ST-A just a UK branding difference? SingleH 37 2,493 03-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  Help with self-titrating BiPAP for UARS - low % of spontaneously triggered breaths? Bibbbooker 21 908 01-29-2024, 10:08 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [Diagnosis] Fractured sleep: Spontaneous arousal or breathing related? Twoshade 8 585 12-24-2023, 11:56 AM
Last Post: Twoshade
  Resmed s9 VPAP auto issue steven7685 0 327 11-17-2023, 03:14 PM
Last Post: steven7685
  Capabilities of ResMed S9 VPAP for treating UARS TryingToGetItRight 7 666 10-06-2023, 01:39 PM
Last Post: McDee
  Intermittent large breaths jwest 0 304 08-20-2023, 02:02 AM
Last Post: jwest
  Quick question for anyone with AirCurve 10 VPAP njf1525 4 651 08-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Last Post: njf1525

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.