Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Nasal Pillows at pressures over 16 cmH2O
Nasal Pillows at pressures over 16 cmH2O
Is there anyone out there who is using the nasal pillows whose therapeutic pressure is 16 cmH2O or greater? The reason that I ask is that I had pretty much counted nasal pillows out when the tech at my titration could not get the ones that he tried on me to quit leaking at my pressure. Of course, maybe it is my nares that will not hold up to my pressure.

If some of you are using nasal pillows at more than 16 cm, please respond and let me know which mask you are using and what your experience has been.

Thanks a bunch,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Nasal Pillows at pressures over 16 cmH2O
I use ffm, but just because the pressure blows my lips apart with nasal interface...I tried pillows for a while and never had a problem getting them to hold the seal and be leak free at the nose. Did the ones you tried leak at the nostrils? That would seem to me to indicate the wrong size rather than pressure too high for pillows. I never got any leaks at the nostrils with the medium pillows for the F&P Opus 360 and my pressure runs at 18-20...
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 10:28 PM)jgjones1972 Wrote: I use ffm, but just because the pressure blows my lips apart with nasal interface...I tried pillows for a while and never had a problem getting them to hold the seal and be leak free at the nose. Did the ones you tried leak at the nostrils? That would seem to me to indicate the wrong size rather than pressure too high for pillows. I never got any leaks at the nostrils with the medium pillows for the F&P Opus 360 and my pressure runs at 18-20...

The one that they tried on me leaked at the nose constantly. I could not get them to quit nor could the tech. He did not, however, try any other sizes. He went directly back to a nasal mask. Thanks for the info and the response.

Best regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi there PaytonA, I am at 18, and they told me I'd hate the nasal pillows. Baloney! I love them, best choice I ever made was to make them let me try them. I have a nuance pro with the Pro Gel headgear, they don't leak, they aren't overly tight, easier on my glasses, easier on my face, and I freakin love it. Couldn't recomend them any more than that. Good luck, on your search!
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 06:30 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Is there anyone out there who is using the nasal pillows whose therapeutic pressure is 16 cmH2O or greater? The reason that I ask is that I had pretty much counted nasal pillows out when the tech at my titration could not get the ones that he tried on me to quit leaking at my pressure. Of course, maybe it is my nares that will not hold up to my pressure.

Manufacturers of pillow masks rate the pressure they are supposedly good for. When the Pilairo came out everyone remarked that it was the first nasal pillow mask rated up to 20 cm. Most nasal pillow masks are rated up to 16 cm. and some even less.

In my case I tried the Pilairo and loved the comfort. But my pressures are 15-20, and the Pilairo leaked horribly. However, I am a very active sleeper, plus I sleep on my sides, so that may have had a lot to do with it. In any event, I have never found a nasal pillow mask that didn't leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
The problem with nasal pillows is they are so lightweight. The air pressure pushes against the inside of your nostril and can dislodge them unless you have it very tight. Another problem is the amount of air being directly blown in vs buffered against the skin first, for some people it can cause irritation at the higher pressures.

The Breeze would not come loose at high pressures due to it is in a hard frame.

I use the Nuance and my 95% is at 17 or higher. It doesn't come loose. I think it is because it doesn't have the "nozzle" going into the nose so there is more bouncing around in there. That's the only difference between it and the Swift LT and I had major leak issues with that mask.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-16-2014, 06:30 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Is there anyone out there who is using the nasal pillows whose therapeutic pressure is 16 cmH2O or greater? The reason that I ask is that I had pretty much counted nasal pillows out when the tech at my titration could not get the ones that he tried on me to quit leaking at my pressure. Of course, maybe it is my nares that will not hold up to my pressure.

If some of you are using nasal pillows at more than 16 cm, please respond and let me know which mask you are using and what your experience has been.

Thanks a bunch,

PaytonA

Hi PaytonA

I'm on 17 pressure and use Resmed Nasal Pillows (medium) and head straps with no problems. If you are having problems try another size.
I'm not a Doctor but a fan of The Doctor. any views,comments etc are my own

Post Reply Post Reply
Doesn't seem to affect my Swift FX once I get them adjusted right and my nose adapts to wearing them. My minimum pressure is 16, but I sometimes go higher.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,782 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 326 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  High Pressures - Inflammation of the CV system? MrIvanDrago 5 301 03-05-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal pillows vs. cradle GOIRISH65 8 394 03-04-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Flow Limitations Full Face Mask vs Pillows wickedsleepy 4 402 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: wickedsleepy
  Central apnea and high pressures? esaulcatnas 20 1,734 02-16-2024, 12:22 AM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
Question Snoring worse with FFM vs pillows PaulaO2 12 935 01-28-2024, 12:25 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.