Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Treatment] Autoset mystery
RE: Autoset mystery
(08-11-2014, 08:38 AM)GDB2222 Wrote: Many thanks for all the help.

After the first night, I changed the pressure range from 10-20 to 12-18. I have had a few more nights data, and things have not improved. In fact they have worsened. My AHI has gone from 1.5 to 3.9. I am inclined to go back to 10-20 pressure range.

Last night, for example, I had very few events for the first 5 hours of sleep (less than 1/hour). Then, 3 apneas and 6 hypopneas over a space of 10 minutes. Then, an hour after that, 7 apneas and 1 hypopnea over a space of 15 minutes. That woke me up. 9 apneas were classified as central, and 1 as obstructive. Mask leaks increased at about this time. Flow limitation is shown mostly as rounded, rather than flat.

I assume these events are when I go into REM sleep? Is that likely? Is there anything to be done about it?

Thanks so much for your help so far. I am so grateful!

Almost certainly REM sleep. Most everyone is more prone to apneas during REM. No, to my knowledge there is nothing that can be done about it. As long as O2 saturation is not falling too low, it's not an issue. When I first started PAPing 4.5 years ago, I was desaturating during REM; and was prescribed 2 LPM of O2 from an Oxygen concentrator be injected into my PAP flow. I no longer need that.

Most PAPers will eventually buy a recording oximeter to check for desats.

BTW, GDB2222: You should start using software so you can judge best pressure range for you.
With min, median, 95th percentile and max, you can get a better handle on your pressure range.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm using ResScan.

Annoyingly, my sleep study included a pulse oximeter. I used it for several nights, but the guys at the hospital were unable to download the data / did not download enough sessions. So, they downloaded about 2 hours of normal sleep, no REM sleep at all. That was it.

A recording oximeter is around £1000. I must see if I can hire one for a few nights.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-11-2014, 10:36 AM)GDB2222 Wrote: I'm using ResScan.

Annoyingly, my sleep study included a pulse oximeter. I used it for several nights, but the guys at the hospital were unable to download the data / did not download enough sessions. So, they downloaded about 2 hours of normal sleep, no REM sleep at all. That was it.

A recording oximeter is around £1000. I must see if I can hire one for a few nights.

I assume since you use the British Pound symbol and the word "hire" that you are in the UK or in the Commonwealth.

Look at the supplier list for the shop that specializes in oximeters.
There are some for around $100 US Dollar. They are worn like a watch; and include a finger cuff.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help with Airsense 10 AutoSet JonUK 2 198 03-25-2024, 06:11 PM
Last Post: JonUK
  [Equipment] ResMed AirSense 11 modem/provider mystery richapple 4 591 12-22-2023, 09:33 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  autoset vs autoset for her on airsense 11? Uzupan 7 1,455 02-06-2023, 03:37 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S10 Autoset or S11 Autoset? The Latinist 3 1,905 02-01-2023, 04:57 PM
Last Post: tomtiki
  Mystery Awakenings With BiPap SBDhelp 13 1,291 10-25-2022, 10:19 AM
Last Post: SBDhelp
  AirSense11 AutoSet dougsooley 4 782 10-22-2022, 03:49 PM
Last Post: dougsooley
  [Equipment] From iBreeze to Autoset 10 kirby4564 12 1,277 10-15-2022, 11:34 AM
Last Post: kirby4564

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.