Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

VT
VT
what is VT and what does it tell you and what is a normal range if there is one
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: VT
I know what TV on my CPAP is, maybe you mean TV. Tidal Volume - the estimated volume of air taken in during a single breath.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-27-2015, 04:41 AM)quiescence at last Wrote: I know what TV on my CPAP is, maybe you mean TV. Tidal Volume - the estimated volume of air taken in during a single breath.

thanks but that's not you on my machine it specifically says vt
Post Reply Post Reply
I think it's tidal volume written as Vt. I'll check on my machine next time I'm upstairs.
Post Reply Post Reply
so what does tidal volume tell me and is it supposed to be a big number or a little number or what is the average number thank you
Post Reply Post Reply
The tidal volume is the amount of air displaced with each breath, measured in millilitres. It varies depending on a whole range of factors, but around 500 mL is fairly average.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have looked on the internet and gotten a little information on tidal volume but not enough to answer my questions so of course I come here where people know the answers or at least have some good information so if your tidal volume is below 500 Glock 380 or 400 as an example what might be the cause of that
Post Reply Post Reply
There was a thread a couple of weeks ago where this was discussed: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...dal+volume I don't think it came to any clear conclusions. A lower Vt would mean you're not breathing as deeply as somebody with a larger one, or you might have a smaller lung capacity. The Vt isn't your whole lung, of course, just the amount that's exchanged on each breath.

Vaughan came up with an article and calculator which helps explain it. But I don't think there's much to worry about if you're one side of the norm or the other, provided you feel OK and your O2 reading is OK, then I don't think Vt matters too much.

http://www.mdcalc.com/ideal-body-weight/

http://rtboardreview.com/public/tables_l...lation.htm
Post Reply Post Reply
Tidal volume is one half of the information required to calculate Minute Ventilation which Resmed controls in their ASV machines in order to control CAs. The other half is Respiratory Rate. The Minute Ventilation is a product of the two. It is not really important for CPAP unless one of these parameters makes a statistically significant change. If that happens it is time to seek your doctor's counsel to find out what may be happening.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.