Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Vagal Atrial Fibrillation & ResMed F20 Strap Neck
RE: Vagal Atrial Fibrillation & ResMed F20 Strap Neck
Hello Folks!

OK, this could be fun!

I have managed to create a new developmental Strap for the ResMed F20, by cutting up a couple of old F20 Straps, and then using thick Super Glue to join them, where needed. That stuck very well indeed, but I can get my wife to lend me a needle and thread tomorrow to add a few stitches, just to avoid the joins coming adrift.

In simple terms, what I have done is create a Forehead Head Strap (AKA now the Main Strap) from an old F20 Strap, using the old Upper Straps as the Straps now for the lower Magnets.

That works surprisingly well, and once positioned on the Forehead so the head loop is horizontal, the Strap Legs reach to the lower Magnet join locations very well, quite close to the extreme, but the Velcro joins with scope to tighten up when on, if needed.

To that I also added an over the top of Head Strap, to prevent that from wanting to slide down. Again, I just used an old Strap, and glued that on either side.

I then cut off the long Lower Straps from one of these old F20 Straps, and joined them so I had Velcro at each end and a wide glued join in the middle. That then threads through the upper Dog Leg Arms, and goes around the upper rear of my head, above the main Forehead Head Strap. That can be adjusted, either side, so I should be able to adjust out any upper air leaks.

So, the new Strap is actually in two pieces.

To fit I just have to:

(1) Put the Forehead Head Strap on, with the Magnets already attached. That may be too tight, so I may have to cut that and add an adjustable join if needed. That feels OK when test fitting, but could annoy when asleep if it feels too tight. Easy enough to add an adjustable join, if so.

(2) Fit the other Long Strap to both upper Dog Leg Arms, to form a unit comprised of the Frame, Mask, and one-piece Upper Strap as a Loop to go around back of my head.

(3) Offer up the Mask to my face, and pull the attached loop over to the top back of my head, above the Main Strap.

(4) Clip on the lower Magnet Joints from the Main Strap.

(5) Adjust as usual.

If this works, and doesn't leak, and doesn't want to wander down to the back of my neck (which should be stopped by the loop I added going over the top of my head), then this should mean I can get some sleep, with full CPAP, but with absolutely no Strap pressure to the back of my neck. Hopefully that should prevent any Cardiac Agitation caused by neck pressure.

If it works, I will post images tomorrow.

A useful feature is that this can be constructed from 2 old F20 Straps, so it should be easy to get on, and off, should be cool in summer, and it should still be adjustable.

Hopefully, it won't migrate down to the back of my neck, that being the key issue, and the whole purpose of the exercise!

More tomorrow. Fingers crossed this doesn't go wrong, slide down at the back, pinch my neck, and pitch me into Atrial Fibrillation like last night's Test did!

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Folks!

A useful Test, the whole concept of trying to avoid any ResMed F20 Strap from going across the back of my neck, is a good one. This has dramatically reduced background Cardiac Stress when asleep, so that pressure was indeed the cause.

The above 2-Part Strap Test did work in the respect of keeping Straps off my neck, but was a little prone to air leaks, because I have not got the lower pull direction right, it wants to pull upwards too much, when I need it to be pulling more horizontally and towards, you've guessed it, the rear neck area.

So I spent time messing around trying to adjust that, and did indeed need to add an adjustable section to the Main Forehead Headband Strap part, as that was just too tight.

The 2-Part Strap Test was heading in the right direction but, it's wanting to pull the Mask upwards too much, so is causing air leaks around the lower mouth area.

I need to work on a way to pull the lower Mask area horizontally towards the rear, without looping anything around the back of my neck.

I did look at a few Snore Stop Straps on the web last night, and something like that may be the way to go, such as a combined Main Forehead Strap, plus a Strap coming down from that to the chin. Then attach a Strap from the F20 Lower Magnets to that diagonal Chin Strap, to exert a rearwards pull, but one acting upon that diagonal chin strap, rather than looping anything around the back of the neck.

In summary, that 2-Part Strap Test went well and, despite the fiddling with the adjustment, and the excursion to add an adjustable part to the Main Forehead Headband Strap, and the many air leaks, when I did actually sleep, my heart was relaxed and beating steadily, with no sign of any Cardiac Agitation that any F20 Strap going around the back of my neck causes.

Thus, I am on the right track, the task now is to come up with a workable new Strap that I can make again easily, that is comfortable, and that can pull in the right directions to stop air leaks.

In my opinion, I think all CPAP Mask Straps that go around the back of the neck, are best avoided. I think these potentially cause more problems than Sleep Apnoea itself.

But the ResMed F20 Strap is a particularly bad design, the Straps are too thin, and the rear surface area is way too small. The upshot is if a Mask needs to be worn quite tight when using higher air pressure, there is a real danger of the Strap causing potentially life-threatening Cardiac and other effects.

In my case, the ResMed F20 Strap has caused both Atrial Fibrillation, and even when padded, it has still caused a low level of constant Cardiac Agitation, that has made quality sleep very elusive.

In my friend's case, it looks like it has pulled his neck C1 and C2 vertebrae out of position, and presented him with pulse, blood pressure and Stroke-like symptoms.

I urge anyone who uses a ResMed F20, who also has issues with Arrhythmia, to check if this may actually be caused by the F20 Strap.

I will update when I have a better design for the F20 Mask Strap.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Folks!

These three images may help to show the progression from an original ResMed F20 Mask Strap that caused Atrial Fibrillation, to a modification when I added a rear Foam Pad that stopped the Atrial Fibrillation, but didn't fix an underlying Cardiac Agitation, to last night's test with a 2-Part Strap that totally alleviated all Cardiac Agitation, but needs work, as the air leaks were too high.

Original F20

F20 with added Rear Foam Pad

Latest 2-Part Strap Modification

I hope that helps to make it clearer.

Next stage is to add a Chin Strap, so lower Mask Strap can pick that up to give a more horizontal pull.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Many OA's and neck/shoulder pain sfgiants123 2 90 8 hours ago
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 137 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 414 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 428 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,291 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 207 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,814 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.