Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Vagal Atrial Fibrillation & ResMed F20 Strap Neck
RE: Vagal Atrial Fibrillation & ResMed F20 Strap Neck
Thanks SarcasticDave94!

I will indeed look at alternative Masks, my main limitation is a miniscule budget, so I regret that I just do not have the option to invest in alternatives unless one is likely to be successful (even then I will need to save my pennnies)!

Long story, but I am also quite physically disabled from hips down (motorcycles and then HM Forces injuries) so, I only have a very limited ability to earn anything. Not yet retired, albeit close, although that won't help at all, no pension to look forward to! So, I get to work until I drop.

I did consider the older ResMed Quattro FX, as I heard that was very good for higher pressures, but they are now discontinued, and hard to obtain, especially at a good price.

But thanks for the suggestion, I will indeed investigate the Fisher & Paykel Vitera option, and see if I can get my hands on one.

Thanks also SevereApnea/Chris!

A quick one on CPAP pressure. This is linked to my physical disabilities, in that I struggle to get comfortable at night, so tend to move around a bit, and go in and out of the best position for CPAP. I start on my right side, which is great for CPAP, but not good for shot right hip and damaged knees. So, I involuntarily end up on my back, which is comfortable, but the CPAP then really struggles, and 20 Pressure is only just enough to stop Obstructive Apnoeas. Any leaks and I am into Apnoeas and then cardiac stress is shown via the Viatom.

I have tried variable pressure, but all scores just got worse, and I found 20 was the best of the lot. I was once a Diver, so am not at all bothered by air pressure and sleep like a baby even at 20. My gut feeling is I really need something like a ResMed AirCurve that can do 25, and then set that to variable pressure. Thus, even with possible Mask Leaks when extra Pressure is needed, the overhead should mean I will get at least 20 when I am on, say, my back.

I have tried to persuade the NHS to let me have an AirCurve, but to no avail.

Sorry if I was not clear, my first episode before Sleep Apnoea was suspected and diagnosed, was definitely Atrial Flutter, and was a 2:1 Block, so Atria were banging away at probably 300 bpm, and the AV Node was blocking that 50% (hence 2:1), down to around 147-150 bpm. The ECG was regular and with the classic saw tooth in between. That was a one off, and almost certainly caused by a trigger of bad fat that caused missed beats, then that night Sleep Apnoea probably suffocated me on top, and my heart thrashed itself half to death trying to pump poorly oxygenated blood, when it also needed that blood to function.

So, I think it went into Atrial Flutter as a result. As far as I know, that was the first time that happened. That was in late 2019.

That seems to have been a once-off. After that, we suspected Sleep Apnoea, and took steps to mitigate. Initially via the Viatom Alarm that woke me up via buzzer if Oxygen levels went below a set percentage, then later via CPAP, which once I found the right settings, effectively managed Sleep Apnoea and made it go away (albeit it's always there hiding behind the CPAP)!

After that, I only get missed beats after eating the wrong things (always bad fats, trans fats or now usually Palm Oil).

Before 2022, if I failed to spot what I was eating had Palm Oil in it, then every single time that has jumped from missed beats to Atrial Fibrillation. I think only 3 or 4 times, and all were of limited duration. But Palm Oil was the only obvious factor every time. It did not seem to be Sleep Apnoea, as nothing happened at night when this happened, and my sleep logs show no Atrial Fibrillation or elevated Heart Rate.

By that, I mean if I eat something with Palm Oil in it, and it's just one thing, then the usual is I get missed beats after that has been digested. If I spot it and stop eating what ever it was, problem solved.

The worst is when I don't work out what it is, and missed beats carry on over a few days, then that has almost always converted to a session of Atrial Fibrillation, unrelated to CPAP, and always diet/Vagal stimulated. That has happened maybe 3 or 4 times, and always with Palm Oil preceding it.

It was only after the very start of 2022, after accidentally consuming a large dose of Palm Oil from mid-December 2021 to early February 2022 (hidden in the Vitamins and Supplements), that the missed heart beats that that caused, went to Atrial Fibrillation, and then only after the neck pain when acute for 10 seconds on 3rd January.

The delay going to AFib was, I think, because the Palm Oil was very refined and clear, against the solid mass they tend to use in things like biscuits, cakes, bread and sauces etc. Then they use the lard like almost raw Palm Oil, that is a solid at room temperature.

After that, I have been in and out of Atrial Fibrillation ever since, now on 15 sessions, the longest 9 days, and I regret that I am in AFib still right now.

I do fully understand a watch ECG is not the ideal thing but, the point is, it is accurate enough to show actual QRS rate, so I can see if the rate is regular or irregular, and count the bpm from the QRS (or let the watch count, or count the ECG Report directly to cross-check or check rate change within the 30 second test, shown as a 3 line ECG Chart with 10 seconds per line).

It does also show limited other things, such as P and T Waves, but only clearly when in Sinus Rhythm.

I have attended the Doctors twice for ECG, but managed to go into Sinus on the way there, and both ECG were absolutely normal by the time they strapped me in, with no sign of problems! That was not at all helpful!

I did attended Hospital once in early February 2022, when I was in AFib, and the two ECGs there did show it was Atrial Fibrillation but, I do not have any more information, other than they did not seem to be worried about the ECG in any other area. So, it was basically an irregular fast heart beat, but not what they would call an emergency compared to other people, as my rate was between 110-140 bpm, when some I know can whizz up to 220 bpm.

Stroke Risk

Thanks, I am in fact very aware of the Stroke risk, more than most as my late father almost certainly had undiagnosed Sleep Apnoea, almost certainly had Atrial Fibrillation too, and he died of a Stroke at 65.

As I am getting close to that age, this is indeed a looming psychobiological threshold!

2019 Atrial Flutter (Bad Fat + Sleep Apnoea Combination)

In 2019, I did have an echocardiogram after the first Atrial Flutter episode, and that was normal, with no sign of any structural heart issues, heart valves all OK, nothing swollen, and it seemed very healthy, and no high blood pressure.

That was maybe 2 years or so ago. But I have never had high blood pressure, and still don't.

I am not diabetic, and seldom go to see the Doctor unless I manage to break something else!

Sleep Clinic Aware

I did speak to the Sleep Clinic yesterday, as I am under their direct care, because I wanted to mention the Vagus Nerve issue and the ResMed F20 Strap pain.

I get on well with the Respiratory Consultant, probably because of my keen interest in Sleep Apnoea, and because I tinker with a few pre-used ResMed units for my wife and I to use, so we usually have a good chat. Indeed, I think it was my use of the Viatom CheckMe O2 that persuaded them to buy the same unit for conducting initial Sleep Tests on new patients.

Anyway, whilst chatting, I mentioned that I was waiting for a Cardiac Referral, so he checked the system, and said that I have indeed been allocated a Cardiologist, and am now on the waiting list for an available appointment. I have yet to hear about that direct but, as he would be contacting Cardiology himself to pass on the Vagus Nerve issue suspicions, that may accelerate me getting seen.

He seemed a little shocked that I have been, more or less, in AFib since January, so I think he may push things along to persuade Cardiology to extract a digit.

My Doctor said I was below the threshold for needing anticoagulant medication, and the Hospital said the same thing when I attended with AFib in February.

I do take Serrapeptase every day. That's the Silk Worm enzyme that seems to help with my damage related osteoarthritis inflammation, and is said to help remove any dead material from veins and arteries. That may help to explain why my heart and blood pressure are so good? I have been taking that for decades. I do seem to bleed well if stuck with anything, and my Blood Platelets are just below the usual normal range, so that may help in avoiding clots from the AFib?

Past Medical History

In terms of past history, I had a lot of physical trauma when young, mainly from crashing motorcycles, but I did have something of a misspent youth, so broke various bits in various ways on top.

I had lots of orthopaedic surgery to fix that up, and when fixed, I still managed to get into HM Forces and became a pilot, where I continued my misspent youth, and broke a few more bits. Now I can hardly walk but, it was fun and I would probably do it all over again, if given the choice (OK, maybe with a few sensible changes)!

But I was very fit, once, and did have numerous detailed medicals to maintain Flying Category, which did not ever find any cardiac issues at all.

However, by the turn of the Century, I was self-employed and working myself like a dog. When it was really bad, I did have issues with missed heart beats when I was being particularly irresponsible, such as cutting down on sleep to get the work done. I was always OK on 4 hours of sleep, or less, but I pushed that hard and went down to maybe 1.5 to 2.0 hours a night for a couple of years.

That got seriously bad, and I ended up having to back off, and just concentrate on sleep. I have not been the same since, and cannot now push that as hard.

However, at the time, we noticed a link between missed heart beats and bad fats, especially if low on sleep. So, I also cut out Trans Fat and Hydrogenated Fat. The combination of extra sleep and no bad fats, fixed it. The irregular beats went away.

But, after that, every time I consume bad fats, the missed heart beats come back. That has happened so many times neither myself, nor my wife, are in any doubt that there is a link. We just did not understand the mechanism. But I think now there is some Vagal link between digestion and heart, that would now explain this.

Enter Palm Oil

That all went away for many years until it began to reappear maybe 5 years or so ago.

Not finding Hydrogenated Fat or Trans Fats, we instead realised Palm Oil was the new enemy. It seems to have the exact same effect as Trans Fats and Hydrogenated Fats used to do, and this problem only came back because it has only started being put into food after they were banned from using the other bad fats!

Now Palm Oil is creeping in to everything, even things that we once thought were safe. This means that we are constantly having to re-read Food Labels to check it has not been added. Once it appears, we stop buying that product.

In summary, I do not yet have any formal diagnosis for the current Atrial Fibrillation, so do not know what else may be going on.

My watch ECG is just a handy overview, and accurate to check rate when optical sensors cannot count when in AFib. It shows me enough to see the shape of the QRS Complex, which is helpful and, when in Sinus, I can see that everything looks normal from an ECG Lead I perspective, with no sign of the three classic Heart Blocks, and no sign of anything Ventricular. Not an absolute at all, I know, but it is all I have and does at least show when I am in AFib and when in Sinus.

There are a few other ECG Lead I type of ECGs, but they all do the same thing, so the watch is up there with other similar units.

If I had the money, I would buy a small 12 Lead ECG, which seem to be available in the UK for around GBP 400.00 if anyone is interested. Viatiom do one for that price, but I do not know if it is any good.

At the moment I am still in AFib, it feels close to coming out, blood pressure has stabilised, and the heart beat rate is trending now towards 115-118 bpm, which is around the rate when I suddenly converts to Sinus. This latest session is dragging on, and I had hoped to drop out sooner.

Hopefully I will hear something soon, and get to see a Cardiologist. Be nice if I get one who will actually listen, and who will at least investigate the Vagal side of things. Many I regret do not seem to listen, and it can be a lottery to get to see a good on.

I will update if anything develops.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
In terms of Masks, I do also have a ResMed F30 under-nose Full Face Mask but, I could not get on with that at all.

The two holes for my bugle (nose), seemed to go out of alignment when asleep, and the Mask then tried to suffocate me!

So, that wasn't really ideal!

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2022, 10:03 AM)MoreBeers Wrote: In terms of Masks, I do also have a ResMed F30 under-nose Full Face Mask but, I could not get on with that at all.

The two holes for my bugle (nose), seemed to go out of alignment when asleep, and the Mask then tried to suffocate me!

So, that wasn't really ideal!

MoreBeers
I've had this same problem when I tried the F30.  Like you, my pressure is often above 20--it goes into the low twenties.  Now hearing about the nerve issue gives me something extra to be concerned about.  Up to this point, I've mainly been concerned if the pressure of the straps is putting undue stress on my neck vertebra.  I sometimes have momentary headaches when I move my head, and I've wondered if it could be caused by something out of alignment in my neck.  Then again, it isn't that often, and maybe it's something most people have from time to time.

Unfortunately, they just don't design the equipment for the relatively small number of us who are on really high pressures.  Just a guess, but I'm thinking that you probably also have issues with your humidifier tank not being big enough, so you can't sleep through a whole night without getting up to refill it.  There are just some extra issues those of us on high pressures have to deal with because we're on the high side of the bell curve for which they don't really design things.  The need for larger humidifier tanks and masks better able to handle high pressures are among them.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm with you on the ECG watch/device being a good thing (I use a KardiaMobile device) - they are not the same as the regular optical HR sensors on many watches & fitness trackers. I find it invaluable to confirm AF, share traces with cardiologist during and post episodes, etc.

I find it curious that they don't want you on anticoagulants - but I trust they understand your personal situation (better than random folk in the 'net) and have done an appropriate risk/benefit analysis. My cardiologist wants me on Eliquis once I go beyond 24 hours in AF (which fortunately hasn't happened again recently)
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello HairyReasoner!

Just caught me as I was contemplating heading off to my pit, for another fun filled night wondering if I will wake up having had a Stroke!

Yep, still in AFib, although earlier this evening it changed to a faster regular rate of around 141 bpm, then went back down into AFib  at around the current 116-132 bpm.

Yes, I do tend to use up a Humidifier Tank, if I manage to sleep that long. But anything over 7 hours and my tank is usually dry.

Given the Vagus Nerve fun I am having, I would seriously advise that you make up a suitable pad for the back of your neck. Something that spreads the load evenly over a wide area.

I think it needs to be almost the size of your hand, and maybe curved around the sides of the neck so that the strap cannot bite into the sides of the neck where the two parts of the Vagus Nerve lie outside of the spine (the Vagus doesn't run down the middle like the Spinal Chord).

This should also stop any narrow strap load causing neck vertebrae to misalign.

I am 100% sure this is what has happened to me, i.e. a very tight and narrow strap load has somehow affected my Vagus Nerve, in the area of Heart Rate control.

Quite a serious issue really, and is effectively a defective product. The point being, it should have been tested at the maximum anyone could tighten it up, and the forces measured to see what was possible in terms of neck injury. ResMed cannot just say I tightened it up too far, because it is what it is, that was what I needed to do if I was to avoid Mask leaks at 20 cm H2O.

I have thought for some time that the strap was way too narrow at the rear but, I just made do, as one does!

Tomorrow we will see about making a suitable new pad. My wife has the Sewing Machine out anyway doing some cushions, so it shouldn't be too hard to draft a suitable shape, and make it up.

The key is to spread the load over a much, much wider area, and keep the neck safe.

I see a chap on YouTube, I think he also has a web site called something like The TAOFit Method, and he suffers from Vagus Nerve Tachycardia with AFib, but by working on yoga type exercises, he has significantly improved his problem. Makes perfect sense to me, and his symptoms matched mine. He too was not keen for medication and invasive cardiac surgery unless it was really needed and, in his case, it clearly was not needed. The problem was damage to his Vagus Nerve in his neck.

Anyway, yes, I have suffered with bad neck ache when waking up, always at the rear where the ResMed F20 strap was biting, and it also affects sleep, as I am also having to move my head around to make it click and stop aggravating rear neck pain (and find a position that avoids closing my airway).

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello kappa!

>> I'm with you on the ECG watch/device being a good thing (I use a KardiaMobile device) - they are not the same as the regular optical HR sensors on many watches & fitness trackers. I find it invaluable to confirm AF, share traces with cardiologist during and post episodes, etc. <<

Absolutely, I don't know what I would have done without it, as anything optical based was just telling me my heart rate was around 72-85 bpm, when it was actually 120-136 bpm and was in AFib!

For the benefit of anyone reading this who is not familiar with either the KardiaMobile ECG or SAMSUNG Watch ECG, these are both electrically measuring the heart via a hand to hand circuit. The KardiaMobile I think has two electrical contacts, and you put a finger from each hand onto the two contacts. So the electricity is measured arm to arm. The SAMSUNG has electrical sensors on the rear of the watch, and also on the upper side button, so the arm to arm circuit is from one wrist, to the finger of the opposite hand that is rested lightly on the side button. So both create a waveform that is similar to ECG Lead I. I stress, this is pretty accurate, and I think both are FDA Approved in the USA for example.

>> I find it curious that they don't want you on anticoagulants - but I trust they understand your personal situation (better than random folk in the 'net) and have done an appropriate risk/benefit analysis. My cardiologist wants me on Eliquis once I go beyond 24 hours in AF (which fortunately hasn't happened again recently) <<

It's a rule thing they work to, some NHS Risk Score and I was below the threshold.

My late father-in-law was a Chemist, and he absolutely hated Warfarin with a passion so, if any of our family needed blood thinners, he always advised to go on the more modern ones like, say Apixaban...hold on, I just checked the spelling, and noted that it is also sold as Elquis so, it must be the same thing!

I'm now on 6+ days of AFib with the latest session, so Stroke risk is creeping up.

Nothing much will now happen until after the weekend - all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and stay well hydrated!

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello Folks!

Just found this Video on YouTube, and it's very good to show where the Vagus Nerve is routed out from the skull. The chap has a skull model and he flips the top off to show you the two holes either side of the bigger hole for the Spinal Column. The two side holes are where the Vagus Nerve exits, and it's very close to the rear of the jaw bone.

YouTube - Perry Nickleston - Vagus Nerve Lift

Obviously, damage can also be caused to the Vagus by pressure from the rear, say, putting the neck out of alignment. Likewise the space for the Vagus can be compromised by poor posture and head position.

The video covers poor posture issues and how that can affect the Vagus Nerve, and it rather reflects the awful sleeping positions I end up in, what with a ResMed F20 strap that is very tight, plus a Foam Neck Collar, plus me trying to push my head forwards to avoid neck pain from the strap!

He covers a Vagus Lift technique intended to open up the neck vertebrae to ease pressure on the Vagus.

Worth a watch I think.

MoreBeers
Post Reply Post Reply
Good morning (here anyway!) MoreBeers!

Thanks for sharing your life story. Hope I don't seem like I am meddling, just expressing some concern.

Sorry to hear about where your health has taken you and where you are right now with your sleep apnea.
I know/have known a few pilots, both civil and military, and find them quite exceptional folk. However, my own genes are more risk averse than theirs! I am happy to stay on the ground whenever I can.

It is pleasing to hear to your sleep clinic is trying to expedite your cardiac visit, and a good decision will be made as to whether you qualify for/need one of the newer anticoagulants/noacs. Warfarin/rat poison is used less often these days.
Your bad fats and palm oil connections are fascinating. We have progressed from moving/walking/farming and producing our own food to a sedentary lifestyle where we are dependant on others to produce our food for us in a way that they control what goes in the food rather than we. Too bad most of don't have access to allotment or vege patch these days!

Even after Covid started here in Oz we were still able to trial different loan masks for a few weeks. Don't know how that works in the UK and the NHS. My wife frequents the Op Shops here a lot to find lots of unwanted treasures, all for a good cause. There are many of us here in the sleep apnea community that have surplus masks, hoses and bits and pieces. Too bad there is not a Sleep Apnea Op Shop service anywhere, where those unloved but little used items would not go to waste. I have a few F30i and DreamWear masks lying around that I am unlikely to ever use again, but with Covid around there seems to be no way to re-purpose those.

I woke this morning with another cracker headache, sore right sided neck muscles and must say the Perry Nickleston trick seems to have worked somewhat. I will try that before and after sleep and see how I go. I think coming off coffee tends to aggravate my own headaches, together with some dehydration.

Thanks for sharing and looking forward to a good outcome for you.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-06-2022, 01:51 PM)mesenteria Wrote: Has your electrophysiologist discusses ablation with you?  Unless there is another explanation, such as involvement with the right atrium, it is usually the case that you will have a ring of spots burned into the four pulmonary veins as a first step.  About 20% of the time, after a 6-week rest and observation period, a Holter Monitor will reveal more fibrillation and a second ablation will be necessary.

I had ablation surgery and it completely cured my afib. It's a surgery that takes a lot of practice for the surgeon to get good at it, so surgeons who do ablations tend to do nothing else, and are usually found only in large hospitals.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-08-2022, 08:02 PM)MoreBeers Wrote: ..

I'm now on 6+ days of AFib with the latest session, so Stroke risk is creeping up.

Nothing much will now happen until after the weekend - all I can do is keep my fingers crossed and stay well hydrated!

MoreBeers

Your risk of a stroke rises the minute you begin to experience arrhythmia in the left atrium.  You needn't go for several days, just a single minute.  The reason is that there is a 'grotto' on the extreme upper left of the left atrium called, appropriately, the 'left atrial appendage'.  It acts like a backwater into which blood can flow, but remain stagnant for a time while your atrium flutters or fibrillates.  Blood can clot there inside of a few seconds.

There is a relatively new preventative measure for that for those who can't take blood thinners called the 'watchman'.  It's a small wire 'thimble' with a fine mesh around it to capture clots and prevent them from escaping and being pumped into your left ventricle and out to your heart or your brain.  The watchman is inserted into your left atrial appendage the same way they perform ablation, insertion in the groin and rinsing up with a catheter.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cpap Mask Marks on Face and neck newtothis1 3 125 04-06-2024, 09:03 AM
Last Post: cdplatt
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 406 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Update on Stats After Constant Use of Knightsbridge Chin Strap cmpman1974 6 420 03-01-2024, 05:47 AM
Last Post: CPAPfriend
  Life with Knightsbridge Dual Band Chin Strap cmpman1974 21 2,257 02-29-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Columbiabill
  Neck, face pain relef/exercises Weegie 0 204 02-11-2024, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Weegie
Question Any tips to stop strap riding up on N30i mask BobbieM 37 6,767 02-08-2024, 06:25 PM
Last Post: stevew168
Question Anyone with head strap padding they love? UKFan643 1 281 02-02-2024, 06:01 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.