Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Validity of Apnea Data
Validity of Apnea Data
After months of trying to get my apnea, previously treated effectively with basic CPAP, back under control, my local sleep doctor referred me to the head of a sleep clinic at a major hospital. He was mostly uninterested in the data from my hospital sleep study 2 months earlier and from CPAP test machines. He insisted that the only good data would come from his sleep lab and techs he had trained. I did not follow through, but instead obtained a ResMed VPVP Adapt, which seems to have solved the problem.

I am interested in reactions anyone has to this doctor's views and whether any other doctors have said anything similar.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Validity of Apnea Data
Hi SleepingBetterNow,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good to hear that your new machine has helped you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2013, 02:24 PM)SleepingBetterNow Wrote: I am interested in reactions anyone has to this doctor's views and whether any other doctors have said anything similar.

He should have been interested in the data that was collected by the other sleep lab and by your CPAP machine. He should have explained to you why he wanted you to be tested in his sleep lab. Since he was apparently uninterested in doing either of these things he doesn't, in my opinion, deserve your business.

You may want to follow up with a different doctor or at least ask that doctor what it is about your particular condition that prompts him to order another sleep study.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Unfortunately, that attitude is very common in the medical mafia.

"Data isn't good unless it's done by professional lab techs." Which, of course generates money for fellow members of the medical mafia.

"Data done by other labs isn't as good as the data produced by my own lab." Which of course lines the doctor's own pockets.

"The cost of tests is irrelevant." Lines his pockets.

"I don't have time to learn how to use data from other labs or CPAP machines." Lines his own pockets.

There's some small amount of truth in these statements, but it's mostly laziness and greed. He's probably convinced himself that he's a god of medicine and believes his own lies.

There are some cases where the data from your CPAP or another lab test won't give you the info you need, but, in many cases, the doctor could find out what he needs without screwing you for a new sleep test.

Maybe the doctor in question is good, or you can't find another good doctor with a reasonable attitude. They're all members of the medical mafia, and you may have to bend over and pay for an unnecessary sleep lab to get him to treat you.

It's very common to screw patients for unnecessary tests before the doctor will even try to treat you these days.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2013, 04:33 PM)archangle Wrote: There's some small amount of truth in these statements, but it's mostly laziness and greed.

And if he can't take the time to explain to the patients the details of that "small amount of truth" he's not deserving of their business.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2013, 02:24 PM)SleepingBetterNow Wrote: He insisted that the only good data would come from his sleep lab and techs he had trained.

There is a problem with any person that believes that all truth resides with them.

Doctors are humans (although I know that would come as a shock to some of them) and as such are as prone to the failings of ego and greed as any of us.

It is always disappointing to see that demonstrated but it happens often enough in the medical and legal fields to give the impression that the whole of those professions are thus afflicted. They aren't. I am sure you will find another doctor who can help.

If my life experience is anything to go by - I have found almost universally that the truly great are actually fairly humble and will admit to having gained their expertise through 'standing on the shoulders of giants' and are always prepared to have their opinion subjected to reasoned questioning.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepingbetternow--I'll second the opinion already expressed. One word popped to mind when I read your description of that sleep doc's response--EGO!!
I'm happy to report that the sleep docs I have seen have not shown this kind of attitude at all. I can easily imagine that one of these docs (pulmonologists) would respond by holding out a hand for me to give him the results of my recent study so he could read it. That's what happens whenever I have arrived holding a printout I've made from my machine. They're interested, as they should be.
So, good for you in going another route when confronted with the wall of ego. By the way, I have to conclude that's what it is; otherwise, why wouldn't (shouldn't) the doc tell you why your info is useless to him/her.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks very much for your responses. They all make sense to me. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspect he can do a better job with results from his own lab, with the test done his own way, etc.

However, it's not right to ignore the cost to the patient. Plus the possibility that insurance won't pay for a repeat test without a good reason.

It's also unprofessional to not at least look at the CPAP data, and doubly so to not look at the previous in-lab test.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-19-2013, 02:24 PM)SleepingBetterNow Wrote: After months of trying to get my apnea, previously treated effectively with basic CPAP, back under control, my local sleep doctor referred me to the head of a sleep clinic at a major hospital. He was mostly uninterested in the data from my hospital sleep study 2 months earlier and from CPAP test machines. He insisted that the only good data would come from his sleep lab and techs he had trained. I did not follow through, but instead obtained a ResMed VPVP Adapt, which seems to have solved the problem.

I am interested in reactions anyone has to this doctor's views and whether any other doctors have said anything similar.

Leave it to the "professionals" to dismiss any and all data that is not their own. This may be due to liability issues. But it is so inconvenient! I was dissatisfied with sleep study results and borrowed an S8 AutoSet - although I carefully charted the results by hand (I didn't have access to an S8 data card) they didn't believe a word I said until checking the data on the machine. And then they have the nerve to be surprised because I keep accurate records! DUH!!!!! So your experience doesn't surprise me. It seems normal, sorry to say.
But congrats on getting a VPAP without a prescription. Not everyone can accomplish that.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Invisalign to help sleep apnea and dental extractions as a cause of sleep apnea SingleH 10 613 03-24-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Positiional Apnea - what to look for in Oscar data? p123 4 561 10-23-2023, 07:42 PM
Last Post: Melman
Question 24 years old, Central Sleep Apnea only. Check out my OSCAR data? FL00D 4 1,029 10-02-2023, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  OSCAR Data attached: confirms central apnea - any help? hopeforusall 2 756 04-06-2023, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Apnea or Obstructive Apnea GoodSleepHunting 0 1,007 03-01-2023, 11:15 AM
Last Post: GoodSleepHunting
  Is apnea really causing me to wake up? Could use help looking at OSCAR data. arborgent 8 819 01-22-2023, 12:15 PM
Last Post: arborgent
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.