Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Health] sleeping
sleeping
I have sleep apnea for over 15 years. I have a Remstar machine. My question is that I have my mask on at night and I still my mouth open. I can tell by how dry my mouth is. Is this caused by the air rate
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: sleeping
Welcome Bubba! Have you tried a chin strap to assist in keeping your mouth shut at night?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-26-2014, 10:19 PM)BubbaT Wrote: I have sleep apnea for over 15 years. I have a Remstar machine. My question is that I have my mask on at night and I still my mouth open. I can tell by how dry my mouth is. Is this caused by the air rate
Hello BubbaT, welcome to the forum
Dry mouth is sign of mouth breathing but with full face mask cannot be helped much as cover your nose and mouth
You might need turn up humidifier a notch or two, Biotenne mouthwash may gives some relief

The machine in user profile 'Respironics Remstar Plus' does not tell you leak rate to determine whether the leak is of any concern
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think he is using a humidifier according to the info he posted. So, maybe buying
a gently used one from one of the suppliers on the list?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi BubbaT,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You might try a chinstrap and see if that helps you and if you aren't using a humidifier, you might consider getting one.
Best of luck to you and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a mouth-breather that got my nose fixed after some 30+ years. So while I nose-breathe while awake (most of the time), many times I wake up with my lower lip hanging at the bottom of my FFM, and yes my mouth is dry, and I do use a humidifier set just below rain-out levels. While bothersome on some days, the benefits of the CPAP for me far outweigh the dry mouth issues I sometimes deal with.

I tend to carry a can of Pepsi where-ever I go (water would be better I know), but as chinstraps and I don't get along, this is what I do.

Personally, I would never use my CPAP without a humidifier, as it is a great help to me.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply

Hi BubbaT. Welcome to the forum . Welcome
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 804 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 247 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 456 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.