Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Variable Breathing
Variable Breathing
Variable Breathing appears to be a channel added to OSCAR at release 1.1.0.

See the attached screenshot.

How is this parameter defined?

Is this unique to just the PR DreamStation?

I assume lower is better, but does it negatively affect sleep quality?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Variable Breathing
When the data loader was restructured we discovered this data channel. We are still learning about this. It was included because OSCAR's main purpose is to present data that the manufacturers stored on the SD card.
Post Reply Post Reply
Henry, the variable breathing just measures changes in peak flow rates, and identifies that as a potential unstable flow rate. The machine may use that to increase or decrease pressure under certain circumstances. For you, I thnk a higher minimum pressure will help with the obstructive events we still see in OSCAR. The Philips machine is just too slow to increase pressure to prevent these events, and so the best way to handle it is with higher minimum pressure. I would suggest increasing to 7.0, and observing results and comfort, but I think eventually your best results will be with a minimum at about 8.0 cm.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is information on Variable Breathing as I understand t from patent information. This might fall under TMI:

The variable breathing algorithm seeks to develop a peak inspiratory flow trend on a 4 minute moving average, and measure the deviation above or below that trend. The system is designed to identify variable breathing and to turn over control of the pressure support system, from the auto CPAP controller to the Variable Breathing controller. Without figures, we don't know what that controller response is, but it seems if VB is detected while the pressure is steady, the VB controller will maintain that pressure, but if pressure was increasing before VB controller took control, the pressure is reduced up to 2-cm. Similarly if pressure was decreasing ahead of VB detection, the VB controller will in increase pressure up to 2-cm. The duration of VB controller action is 5 minutes unless VB is still detected.

When this came up, I created a wiki for reference http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._Breathing
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Smile 
A dilemma here from one not savvy about what is a hijack and what is staying on topic. Should I start a new thread? Word that OSCAR addresses the matter, the OP and my VB concerns show some interest and concern..

[My one known breathing concern now --12 mo. AHI now down to 0.2 from near 60 OSA Sept. 2015--is VB and its recent more pronounced and worrisome reflection in SpO2 variation. Early-session periods of relative SpO2 smoothness used to be "disturbed" by 2 to 4 of 30-45 minute periods of these big swings, which I interpreted as likely REM periods. Now the smooth period is in earliest sleep for about 30-45 minutes and the remainder of 6 to 7 hour session has the swings almost continually. 

The VB is marked mostly by lengthy flow rate episodes shown in the more scalloped lower (exhale) envelope. That sinusoidal variation (say, between 30 and 15 L/M FR) is  "echoed" by 3-6% cyclic, one-to-one swings in my nightly approximate 94.5% baseline SpO2, this is as my paced heart rate varies no more than 1-2 beats per minute. The only other metrics I see reflecting this are TV and MV--unless I miss something in the inhale and exhale times I've ignored to this point--not understanding significance of their separate values or ratio at  any respiration rate.]

I have accumulated example printouts to post, but will not do so just now as I attend other matters and await word on where to post more.
My mere preference (were I king  Big Grin ) would be for forums to be more organized by topic, like the special, yes, long long Covid-19 thread and the topical longstanding threads. Nevertheless, AB has been most valuable to me and I, like most all members, am most grateful for it just as it is. (But I need to learn and observe forum protocols/etiquette better after waking up about some earlier trespasses.) 

2SB
I have no particular qualifications or expertise with respect to the apnea/cpap/sleep related content of my posts beyond my own user experiences and what I've learned from others on this site. Each of us bears the burden of evaluating the validity and applicability of what we read here before acting on it.  

Of my 3 once-needed, helpful, and adjunctive devices I have listed, only the accelerometer remains operative (but now idle). My second CMS50I died, too, of old age and the so-so Dreem 2 needs head-positioning band repair--if, indeed, Dreem even supports use of it now.

Post Reply Post Reply
I get this "Variable Breathing" flagged a lot and "I" assumed it was do to the fact that I have constant "Atrial Fibrillation" AND "Arrhythmia". An arrhythmia is a problem with the rate or rhythm of the heartbeat. During an arrhythmia, the heart can beat too fast, too slowly, or with an irregular rhythm. Mine is always irregular. When a heart beats too fast, the condition is called tachycardia (which I had until medicated). When a heart beats too slowly, the condition is called bradycardia. The similarity between "Variable Breathing" and "Arrhythmia" is the changing time interval.
I maybe full of chicken manure and guilty of too much assumption.  Please let me know so I could try doing one of those "dietary cleanses".  
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 46 1,181 Yesterday, 05:07 PM
Last Post: Jorgo
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 153 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 175 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 517 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 387 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 222 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 491 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.