Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Variations across machines - ResMed 10 specifically
Variations across machines - ResMed 10 specifically
I have used many, many different machines in my 20 years or so of OSA treatment. I experienced different subjective responses which I thought was likely due to different algorithms used, and some small variation in AHI. Otherwise, things seemed fairly consistent across machines, average pressure, etc. I purchased a ResMed recently due to the need for a replacement for my recalled machine. On every other machine, my average pressure has been around 9. The ResMed is giving me an average pressure reading of 13. Any ideas why such variation? I'm going on 5 days now with these types of readings. Will do a download and look at all the data soon, but puzzled by these higher pressure averages. AHI varies 0.9 - 2 but overall consistent with other machines. Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Variations across machines - ResMed 10 specifically
Welcome to Apnea Board,

I think the higher pressure in your ResMed 10 series is due to the fact these ResMed's key in on flow limitation as the way to sense need for pressure increase. Once OSCAR data is shown, in sure it'll likely be quite noticable. A second aspect to consider is ResMed's are faster to respond to events including flow limit.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The ResMed is triggered by flow limits. If it is running away then set the max instead of leaving it at 20 but do check your flow limits chart.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
Also I would suggest you set the min to 8 and EPR 3. That will give a head start to help the apnea and the EPR WILL HELP with flow limits.
Apnea (80-100%) 10 seconds, Hypopnea (50-80%) 10 seconds, Flow Limits (0-50%) not timed  Cervical Collar - Dealing w DME - Chart Organizing
Post Reply Post Reply
ResMed's are more responsive (some might argue aggressive).

For OSA, having a lower AHI is completely consistent with the higher pressures.

If higher pressures are bothering you, consider:
  • Setting your Response to Soft from Standard, this changes lowers the rate the algorithm increases pressure
  • Increasing your EPR
  • Lowering your Maximum Pressure
  • Increasing your Minimum pressure. This one may be not intuitive but a lower minimum pressure  cand often address potentiential events early and remove the need for higher events

Some of these settings may result in higher AHI
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for the replies. I assumed it was something with their algorithms but was surprised with the significant difference from all the previous apaps. I have the pressure range set 8-14 and actually bumped the upper limit a little over 14 because I was afraid of bumping into that top end. I’m sleeping fine and the AHI is lower than other machines. No EPR as I haven’t been uncomfortable and never like the feel of that change in pressure while breathing. So it is working well, I just couldn’t figure out why such a higher pressure and if anyone else had experienced that. I need to read more about their algorithm, I think.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you have not used ResMed you have not used EPR. give it a try you can always shut it off. EPR also helps with flow limits. Your AHI should go down
Post Reply Post Reply
Since you are using Oscar, take a look at what your 95% flow limitation is now without EPR, then try EPR at 3 and watch it go down along with the pressure variations you are experiencing. We know how to stabilize your pressure and make you more comfortable, even if you are not aware of the need to improve results.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  csa machines cexer 1 76 03-20-2024, 01:43 PM
Last Post: cexer
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 678 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave
  Central vs. OA Events: Switching Machines or Tweaking Current CPAP Settings? fjones416 4 501 12-14-2023, 12:28 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Difference in Machines SufiMindtricks 8 596 11-26-2023, 11:59 AM
Last Post: HappySailor
  SoClean & other CPAP cleaning machines britincanada 505 83,179 11-12-2023, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
Angry [Equipment] KILLER STORY ON PHILLIPS CPAP MACHINES srlevine1 10 2,023 11-03-2023, 08:27 AM
Last Post: DaveL
  Travel PAP machines - heat/moisture exchange units - do they work? Bostonsnow 1 753 06-10-2023, 06:34 AM
Last Post: cate1898

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.