Vegan diet
SuperSleeper Offline

Administrators

Machine: PR System One REMstar Auto (DS560)
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Swift II
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 12.5 - 18.5 cmH20 (auto range)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: Have diabetes Type II

Sex: Male

RE: Vegan diet
(11-22-2013 08:36 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Quorn has been on sale in Switzerland for well over a decade and a half, and we have not had one reported allergenic reaction. All vegetarian restaurants have it on their menus, as do many normal restaurants.

You foreigners sure have odd spellings... Rolleyes

I like Quorn. They grow it a lot here in the Midwest. Quorn on the cob is great with butter and salt. Here's a picture of a Quorn stalk near my home:

[Image: cornstalk.jpg]

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

11-22-2013 08:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
zonk Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: A10 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Activa LT
Humidifier: Integrated /ClimateLineAir
CPAP Pressure: 9/13
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: CPAP since Nov 2010

(11-22-2013 12:34 PM)Bompa Wrote:  Just came back from an appointment with my cardiologist ,never any good news, but he is trying to get the wife and I to use a vegan diet.
My doctor told me the same thing and also gave a script for Prozac to take with the veggies
My new year resolution is the same as last year and the year before, cut down on carbo stuff, no bread with every meal, no sugary drinks and cakes too. The French got it right, serving vegetable separately. Ratatouille .. anyone

Remember the good lord words "Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with merry heart, God now accept thy works"

To be on the safe side, drinks Aussie wine but in moderation
11-22-2013 09:12 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: System One DS960HS
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Mirage Quattro "MED"
Humidifier: Attached
CPAP Pressure: Auto mode-script is:15/3/3
CPAP Software: EncoreBasic Other Software

Other Comments: Severe obstructive sleep apnea 1999/Just got an ASV machine

2013 was bad for miles, too much stuff in Real Life going on - I did do two multi-day trike-camping trips on the GAP, one with my lovely wife even~!
In 2012, I did my first metric, Century, and tour (about 320 miles) since 1977. Ended the year a bit over 2600 miles.
In 2011 had the hip done in June, but still did some 1600 miles.
In 2010, first year on the trike, with my left knee replaced 11/09, I just barely broke 1000 miles - but that was with all the knee rehab, etc - and that was my first ride of 400 feet, to a high of 24 miles in a day that year - lots of changes for sure. From total couch potato to 4hr/20 mile rides.

Now that life is slowly returning to normal for us, I hope to get my lovely wife riding with me more, and see if I can break 3K in 2014.

*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional. My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
11-22-2013 11:31 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Don in Austin Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED S9 VPAP AUTO
Mask Make & Model: Dental device, Quattro FX
Humidifier: RESMED H5i
CPAP Pressure: 4.0-12.0
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Using TPAP custom dental device, with VPAP/BiPAP

(11-22-2013 08:36 PM)DocWils Wrote:  
(11-22-2013 06:11 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:  
(11-22-2013 12:40 PM)DocWils Wrote:  Actually, no it it isn't nearly so hard any more - tons of meat substitutes for vegans, including Quorn.....

Not everyone thinks Quorn is wholesome: http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/

Quorn contains egg whites so is not a strictly vegan product. http://www.vegparadise.com/news16.html "Because all Quorn products contain egg whites and some contain dairy, none of them are vegan."

If I want something that tastes and feels like meat, I will eat real meat. My wife generally buys organic and grass-fed.

Don in Austin

Quorn has been on sale in Switzerland for well over a decade and a half, and we have not had one reported allergenic reaction. All vegetarian restaurants have it on their menus, as do many normal restaurants.

However, if you are intolerant to mushrooms, you may wish to give Quorn a miss, and the descriptions in the article are of food intolerances, and are not dangerous except to those with such intolerances. As for saying it should be removed from sale, then we should remove milk from sale as well, as all adults develop a lactose intolerance to a lesser or greater extent and some develop an extreme version of it. Should we also ban wheat products, like bread, because those with Crohn's Disease could be adversely affected? It is up to you to know what you are eating and what you cannot eat.

I am unaware of any major complaints in the UK either. It may be that the US manufacturer is doing something different than either the UK or Switzerland. Also checking on the packages I have of various Quorn products in my refrigerator, all are Vegan approved and none use egg whites or dairy, so again, it may the US manufacturer's variants that is the problem.

Might be the US manufacturer's version is the problem, might just be bias on the part of the CSPI.

Now this doesn't make sense, from http://www.quorn.co.uk/faqs/

"A Quorn product suitable for a Vegan diet is currently available in the US only. Here in the UK, we've also seen the growing demand for Vegan food and are already looking at a Vegan product offer under the Quorn brand developed specifically for the UK market."

"Are Quorn products suitable for a Vegan diet?
No. Since all Quorn products contain a small amount of egg white, and most also contain milk ingredients, they are not suitable for vegans."

I tried to check out the Swiss version of their web site, but my high school French is way too far in the past!

My personal bias is not to eat meat substitutes. If I eat vegetables it will be something like garden tomatoes and basil which is an exquisite flavor combo to me. I have never tasted a meat substitute that I liked. I have never tried a Quorn product.

Meat substitutes made from GMO soy are very common in the US and, IMHO, probably not very good for you.
11-22-2013 11:51 PM
Don in Austin Offline

Preferred Members

(11-22-2013 11:31 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  2013 was bad for miles, too much stuff in Real Life going on - I did do two multi-day trike-camping trips on the GAP, one with my lovely wife even~!
In 2012, I did my first metric, Century, and tour (about 320 miles) since 1977. Ended the year a bit over 2600 miles.
In 2010, first year on the trike, with my left knee replaced 11/09, I just barely broke 1000 miles - but that was with all the knee rehab, etc - and that was my first ride of 400 feet, to a high of 24 miles in a day that year - lots of changes for sure. From total couch potato to 4hr/20 mile rides.

Now that life is slowly returning to normal for us, I hope to get my lovely wife riding with me more, and see if I can break 3K in 2014.

Trust you will be back on a roll soon! Impressed that you can pull that camping gear.
11-22-2013 11:58 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

(11-22-2013 11:58 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:  
(11-22-2013 11:31 PM)Peter_C Wrote:  2013 was bad for miles, too much stuff in Real Life going on - I did do two multi-day trike-camping trips on the GAP, one with my lovely wife even~!

Trust you will be back on a roll soon! Impressed that you can pull that camping gear.

Slowly, very slowly. I'm not light, neither is my gear. I carry bout 100lbs, more if I bring one of the dogs with me. But I can't walk 100 yards easily, but can ride all day at 4-8mph even with the gear.
11-23-2013 05:09 AM
Bompa Offline

Monitors

Machine: DreamStation Pro
Mask Make & Model: Nuance Pro
Humidifier: DreamStation Heated Humidifer
CPAP Pressure: 12.0
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments:

Gee

Little did I know that asking about a vegan diet would turn into biking chronicles .

Oh well I got a couple of answers.

Laugh-a-lotCoffee
11-23-2013 09:47 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
DocWils Offline

Members-b

Machine: Philips Remstar series 60
Mask Make & Model: ResMed P10
Humidifier: same as machine
CPAP Pressure: 5-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

(11-22-2013 11:51 PM)Don in Austin Wrote:  Might be the US manufacturer's version is the problem, might just be bias on the part of the CSPI.

Now this doesn't make sense, from http://www.quorn.co.uk/faqs/

"A Quorn product suitable for a Vegan diet is currently available in the US only. Here in the UK, we've also seen the growing demand for Vegan food and are already looking at a Vegan product offer under the Quorn brand developed specifically for the UK market."

"Are Quorn products suitable for a Vegan diet?
No. Since all Quorn products contain a small amount of egg white, and most also contain milk ingredients, they are not suitable for vegans."

I tried to check out the Swiss version of their web site, but my high school French is way too far in the past!

My personal bias is not to eat meat substitutes. If I eat vegetables it will be something like garden tomatoes and basil which is an exquisite flavor combo to me. I have never tasted a meat substitute that I liked. I have never tried a Quorn product.

Meat substitutes made from GMO soy are very common in the US and, IMHO, probably not very good for you.

Quorn in Switzerland is, at the moment, the exclusive property of Migros AG, the biggest supermarket chain here, and they produce their own recipes that are not sold in the UK. Quite nice, adjusted to Swiss tastes, and some very nice general products some well, okay I suppose. In my refrigerator a the moment are three Quorn products with the green Vegan mark, two without. The sausages are best, I find, tasting pretty much like the real thing (note, our sausages are very different from North American sausages), but the better three quarters prefers the Quorn zitronenschnitzel, and the Quorn hackfleisch (sort of nice crumbly bits you can fry up with onions and eggs). We also eat a lot of tofu in various forms. Neither of us are vegetarians, let alone vegans, but, with the exception of chicken, we tend to not eat a lot of meat, with the exception of the odd steak or roast beef.

To be fair, Switzerland has a long history of veganism and vegetarianism, as does the UK, so there are a lot of products available and restaurants to cater for such tastes (here, Titbits and Hiltl are the biggest, with Hiltl celebrating its centenary around a decade back, IIRC). I think the US and Canada are a bit behind the times in that respect.
11-23-2013 02:12 PM
Peter_C Offline

Advisory Members

Sorry, thought most anything was game in 'off-topic', I apologize for going 'off-topic' in this 'off-topic' thread.
11-23-2013 04:49 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
Don in Austin Offline

Preferred Members

(11-23-2013 09:47 AM)Bompa Wrote:  Gee

Little did I know that asking about a vegan diet would turn into biking chronicles .

Oh well I got a couple of answers.

Laugh-a-lotCoffee
Well, this is the OFF-TOPIC forum, after all! Smile If you are already an avid exerciser I am preaching to the choir. If you are not, I really have no right to preach to you, but I would hope you would take it under advisement that there are all sorts of benefits to exercise and you might even be able to slash your meds and keep your meat and potatoes.

Don in Austin
11-23-2013 04:50 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Huh? Low-salt diet ups risk of fatal heart attack? ApneaNews 15 3,979 10-05-2013 10:13 AM
Last Post: Don in Austin