Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Velcro Straps!
Velcro Straps!
Hi. Getting real annoyed because. at times, the velcro straps  keep popping off, like they're losing their "stickiness"? Mask is only 2 months old. Suggestions please? Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Velcro Straps!
Do you peel them every time you remove the headgear from the mask?
Post Reply Post Reply
You can get replacement velcro patches and strips at most sewing and craft stores - ex JoAnns or Michaels.

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi harmon k,
How often do you wash your headgear? If you wash it to much, they ware out faster. I very rarely, if ever wash the headgear.
Hang in there for more ideas.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same problem with my headgear when I first started on Bi-Pap almost 2 years ago. The velcro would wear out within 2 months because I would always undo the velcro  to tighten the straps to stop leaks. I also used to wash my headgear. 

Finally I got wise and and now I never wash my headgear because I have the strap covers from Pad-a-Cheek. I just wash the strap covers. Also I hardly ever undo the velcro straps. After much practice I was able to adjust my mask so it would not leak so now all I do is undo the buckles. As a result of this I am able to extend the life of the headgear. I have used my present headgear now for one and a half years. The velcro is still excellent.
Post Reply Post Reply
Learn to be very gentle with the Velcro tabs, make sure they're aligned good. As mentioned, don't wash. Check around the web, especially eBay for replacement head gear. Depending upon your headgear, you might be able to use another brand which may or may not work better than your OEM.
Post Reply Post Reply
thanks, all. yeah i never wash/washed the headgear so...anyway ordered a new mask today . will come in about a week. felt it was best way to get the new straps.
Post Reply Post Reply
When you get to Medicare, you only get headgear with every other facemask.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I was doing my CPAP trial to see what machine and mask worked for me the supplied head gear velcro was not holding.

I got a roll of Elastoplast "Paper Tape B.P.Low Allergy" from the chemist.

Once I had the straps adjusted to the right position I wrapped three or four turns of the tape around the straps close to where they loop around the frame and double back on themselves. (you wrap the tape around the straps at right angles the same as you would put a bandaide around your finger)

The tape won't damage the headgear and can be removed as it can be pealed off again easily.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had same problems with Velcro straps working loose in the middle of the night thus causing air leaks and associated noises.

Got very frustrated because my headgear was relativity new and the Velcro should be holding my mask in place. Out of frustration,
I was willing to try anything to get a good nights sleep with my cpap. So frustrated, that I tried something really stupid...  that
actually has worked out to be a great solution for me.

I "turned" my headstrap  to my mask "inside out". When doing this, the Velcro attachment is next to your face and head and is not on the outside subjected the friction of laying next to the pillow when you turn your head during your nights sleep. Sounds stupid, but this process has reduced 95% air leaks and has improved my AHI scores by 80%.

Give it a try..... what have got to loose...one more restless night of sleep.

Good luck & blessings to you all

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Are there alternative straps out there for masks that does not slide off? hejohoo 5 513 04-03-2024, 03:09 PM
Last Post: hejohoo
  P10 straps slipping acordeon 1 348 01-17-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Velcro Issues - Fisher and Paykel Vitera cmpman1974 6 732 08-03-2023, 05:57 PM
Last Post: car54
  [Treatment] I have TMJ Syndrome and mask straps can aggravate it. KStanLD 7 1,076 07-14-2023, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Uphold9887
  P10 Mask Straps ----Allergic? Snorzz 11 2,876 05-13-2023, 10:14 AM
Last Post: maxquaas
  CPAP mask straps are loose and no longer keep the mask on my face WWu777 8 2,630 03-29-2023, 08:12 AM
Last Post: DaveL
Sad Traction Alopecia & Mask Straps Mayoko 5 7,168 03-23-2023, 07:18 AM
Last Post: jrolli1509

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.